Split movies with named parts?
(I could have sworn I'd seen an answer to this a long time ago, but I'm not finding it now.)

How should we name the files for movies that combine several named sections?

Say, for example, that we had Disney's Fantasia as a group of separate files, with the "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor," "The Sorcerer's Apprentice, "The Rite of Spring," etc, separated in files, but numbered as they appear, so that it would play as a single movie. How would we name the files so that we wouldn't lose the information? Would it be valid to do, say,

Fantasia (1940).part2.Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.mp4

or something like it?
Why would you want to do that?
Probably the best you could do is make an NFO file (wiki) for each of the parts to provide the correct metadata pointing to the full movie's info, and then make a playlist (wiki) of all the individual sections to act as the "full movie" (ie play the playlist to see the full movie).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-02-01, 15:58)EventPhotoMan Wrote: Why would you want to do that?
 So that, outside of Kodi, I could easily get at other sections. Also, I have some multi-segment movies that I got that way, and I wouldn't want to lost the information.
Join the files together into one movie using this... https://mkvtoolnix.download/ assuming they are mkv files. Insert chapters for each appended file.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-02-01, 21:30)Karellen Wrote: Join the files together into one movie using this... https://mkvtoolnix.download/ assuming they are mkv files. Insert chapters for each appended file.
 I've used that tool before. But, as I said in an earlier comment, I need to keep the files separate and identifiable as files. (They're not "Fantasia"; that was just a well-known example.) I take from these comments, then, that Kodi can't actually handle this use case.
(2019-02-01, 13:26)josephzitt Wrote: How would we name the files so that we wouldn't lose the information
I don't fully understand the reason for what you are trying to do.
Why do they need to be separate?
What information are you trying not to lose?
Where did this information come from?- scrape or NFO files?

The only other option I can think of is this... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...ideo_Files

Otherwise it back to DarrenHill's suggestion above.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-02-01, 22:03)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-02-01, 13:26)josephzitt Wrote: How would we name the files so that we wouldn't lose the information
I don't fully understand the reason for what you are trying to do.
Why do they need to be separate?
What information are you trying not to lose?
Where did this information come from?- scrape or NFO files?

The only other option I can think of is this... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...ideo_Files

Otherwise it back to DarrenHill's suggestion above. 
It's an anthology film made up of a whole lot of shorter pieces by different artists and directors. Sometimes I want to show various pieces to people. often to communicate influences in films I'm making, but wouldn't have Kodi handy. (I mirror my library to a portable drive that I carry around, and the people and groups whose systems I show them on wouldn't be set up for Kodi.) So if I need to show one of the several dozen pieces, I would need to get at it directly. But for regular viewing and indexing, it would stay as the anthology itself.

The information came from the file names, as I got them.

And yes, I know of the Wiki information, which doesn't address this situation.
It's too niche a case for us to directly support. I've never known anyone else propose or discuss anything like this before.

You'll need to use a work-around like the one I proposed above.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Split movies with named parts?0