Library sort, drop the THE
I've searched for an answer on this but searching the anything based around the word 'THE' is problematic to say the least!!

My question is simple, is it possible to change the library ordering of movies so that it ignores a 'The' at the start of a movie title.

ie,

At the moment "The Great Escape" is in the 'T' section whereas I would prefer if in the 'G' section.

I have tried removing the 'THE' from the file name but the library search puts it back. Short of manually editing every title after the scan to remove the 'THE's ( which with over 70 THE's would take forever and what with rescans every few months as the library gets corrupted.......you get the picture)

I have over 300 movies and a large cluster of 'THE's which I would much rather have ordered with their second words which to me is easier to find them that way.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Ignore me, I'm an idiot.

I always wondered what "Ignore Tokens When Sorting" did .........

DUH!!!!
If you can think of a better name for it please let us know Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

aren't words like "the" technically called "articles?" of course i suppose that could confuse some people too
Ignore "The", "A", "An", etc while sorting.

Might not be 100% accurate because of custom articles though, right? :/
Yeah - dunno what the official term is for them. That may be a reasonable solution though - not sure.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

They are called tokens because they can be set from advancedsettings.xml so are not limited to the ones szsori said
well i don't know if you guys care about the "proper" terms, but here's what wikipedia has to say about articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_%28grammar%29

note that it also refers to them as "noun markers"

just for fun i looked for tokens on wikipedia too and found nothing that would indicate this sort of stuff. Makes no big difference to me since I already figured out the meaning but I'll admit when I first started using XBMC it did throw me for a loop for quite a while.
How many "tokens" are there actually?

The only ones I can think of are "The" and "A"; I've noticed most media players simply add an option in the General settings that says:

Ignore "The, A" In Artist/Album Titles When Sorting

Question is, do we have enough space on the display for that much wording?

Cheers,

KZ
the english language only has a few, but xbmc is used worldwide. only the english ones are default. what about all the non english ones: el, los, la, los, le, les, il, lo, der, das, die, etc.
Good point, French/English use 'article' to define such words.

Could the string resource not be taylored on a per language basis? Would seem like the best case.

KZ
you mean replacing the word "tokens" with the appropriate translation for "articles" in strings.xml files for every language? of course. and you are more than welcome to do it if you wish. nearly every string displayed in the gui is configurable. you could replace the "xbmc" string with "kzr1y2's super cool media center" if you wanted Smile
If I recall, the languages are XBMC specific and not skin specific. On that assumption, we could look to "socialize" the wording found on some of the XBMC screens so that as to make them less technical. For example, English strings.xml could state:

Ignore "The, A" In Artist/Album Titles When Sorting

French strings.xml could state:

Ignorez "Les, Des, Un, ..." Dans Le Triage Des Titres Des Artistes/Albums

Next language strings.xml could state:
etc.

I suppose a poll or formal interface review would probably help establish a community conscensus.

Cheers,

KZ

PS: I much prefer XBMC, sounds "way k00ler" ... unless of course, the community would prefer "kzr1y2's super cool media center" Big Grin
Showing a translated string could be done automatically to handle non-articles (ie all tokens) instead. Just take the list from advancedsettings.xml and use the first 2 or 3 to make the label I suggested.

So if someone had the following in their advancedsettings.xml:
Pony, Bob, Meh

The string would say:
Ignore "Pony, Bob, ..." when sorting titles

Not sure if that's possible, but it's the simplest for end users. I agree with kzr1y2's suggestion as well. While it may not be 100% accurate due to customized tokens, it gets the point across and is easy to understand and implement.
szsori Wrote:Showing a translated string could be done automatically to handle non-articles (ie all tokens) instead. Just take the list from advancedsettings.xml and use the first 2 or 3 to make the label I suggested.

So if someone had the following in their advancedsettings.xml:
Pony, Bob, Meh

The string would say:
Ignore "Pony, Bob, ..." when sorting titles

Not sure if that's possible, but it's the simplest for end users. I agree with kzr1y2's suggestion as well. While it may not be 100% accurate due to customized tokens, it gets the point across and is easy to understand and implement.

Bob Pony?
I know someone who works at Tivo with that name Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library sort, drop the THE0