Solved Necessary bits and pieces for recording tv
My stack is:

Raspberry PI (model b+ 512meg ram)
LibreELEC (v. 8.2.5)
Kodi. (17.6)

Soon I will add TVHeadend (app) and HDHomeRun "Connect" (2 tuners) hardware.

Does the EPG I get from the various ota TV channels work with this stack as-is?

Do I need the OTA epg or some pay-epg to record shows?
It should do - the HDHr should provide enough EPG data to the TVH server.

You've described basically the exact set-up I have (although LE will be moving up to 9.0.0 at the weekend) and I get EPG without paying for or adding anything extra.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm running Kodi 17.6 (OSMC) thru a Rpi3.  I have a HDHomerun Connect that I have TRIED to get to run thru TVheadend, but failed.  It seems to just default thru the official HDHomerun addon.  It wants nothing to do with TVHeadend.  I would gladly pay the subscription fee to SiliconDust for the EPG & record function, but those just don't exist in the official addon. 

Is there a current step-by-step guide to setting up TVHeadend to work with HDHomerun?
I made my hdhr static on my network and in the past have used a playlist like this

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I125.18284.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="American Heroes" tvg-logo="AHC125.png" group-title="USA",American Heroes
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v125/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I233.52199.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="Reelz" tvg-logo="Reelz233.png" group-title="USA",Reelz
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v233/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I460.44936.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="CoziTV" tvg-logo="CoziTV460.png" group-title="USA",CoziTV
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v460/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I471.34135.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="Create" tvg-logo="Create471.png" group-title="USA",Create
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v471/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I483.74916.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="Decades" tvg-logo="Decades483.png" group-title="USA",Decades
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v483/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I485.90178.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="GritTV" tvg-logo="GritTV485.png" group-title="USA",GritTV
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v485/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I486.90180.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="EscapeTV" tvg-logo="EscapeTV486.png" group-title="USA",EscapeTV
http://192.168.1.5:5004/auto/v486/
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I492.55285.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="iON Life" tvg-logo="iONLife492.png" group-title="USA",iON Life

etc which could work.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2019-02-26, 21:31)Dennis_D Wrote: I'm running Kodi 17.6 (OSMC) thru a Rpi3.  I have a HDHomerun Connect that I have TRIED to get to run thru TVheadend, but failed.  It seems to just default thru the official HDHomerun addon.  It wants nothing to do with TVHeadend.  I would gladly pay the subscription fee to SiliconDust for the EPG & record function, but those just don't exist in the official addon. 

Is there a current step-by-step guide to setting up TVHeadend to work with HDHomerun?

When you say it fails, can you give more details of what you mean? Does the TVH server see the Connect and is it able to access the mux's and channels through it?

In Kodi you need to install the TVH PVR add-on rather than the HDHomerun one, so basically Kodi looks to the TVH server as its source, and that server in turn sources from the Connect. There is no direct connection or data flow between Kodi and the Connect, it's all via the TVH server.

As to step by step guide, normally it's not needed as the TVH set-up wizard that should run after install the first time you connect to it should walk you through. This post may be of use, start at the "Configure TVHeadEnd" section near the middle (as you already have the installation set-up via OSMC) and see if that helps. The other key point is to make sure you have the correct adaptor type set up based on where you are and what output the Connect gives. If I remember correctly when I set mine up I had to manually change that from what the initial set-up was. I'll have a look later and confirm what setting mine has (mine's under LibreElec, but the TVH server set-up should be the same).

Editted to add - mine (in the UK) is set as a DVB-T source. But if I remember correctly the initial set-up wizard tried to set it to a different one (DVB-S iirc, but don't take that as gospel) and if you try that then it won't work.

But as noted if you can be more specific about where you are, your exact set-up and what's failing or not working then we can try to help. For the specific TVH side of things you may want to try their wiki and forum (Wiki and Forums).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
"When you say it fails, can you give more details of what you mean? Does the TVH server see the Connect and is it able to access the mux's and channels through it?"

As the Kodi/LibreELEC/RPi stack has only it's internal config files, such as addons, or the CPU and Memory Percentage use, I lack the skills to understand how to "see the muxes". I can install tvh on my Ubuntu box, but lack the know-how necessary to put that into the stack. I thought I had tvh installed via the addons, but all I can see of live TV is the schedule grid and tv shows. I have not been able to record, although, if I copy a dvd to the Pi's drive, I can watch that. I apologize for not being able to be more detailed. I don't know how to.
@Mark the Flâneur the request was more aimed at @Dennis_D, but of course we can try and sort your set-up out as well.

So you should have three elements to the set-up - the source (the HDHomerun device in this case), the server (TVHeadend) and the player (Kodi).

The source is of course just set up on your network with a known IP address. That's already in place as you can watch the live TV through it.

Next you need to set up the TVHeadend server to work and take its inputs from the HDHomerun. See the link in my previous post for more details on how to do that, or alternatively there are tutorial videos on YouTube on the subject (click here for a few examples). At the end of this step you should have channels visible in TVHeadend.

The last step is to set up the Kodi PVR (wiki) end. Here you need to install the TVHeadend PVR add-on, not the HDHomerun one. If you use the HDHomerun one, then you'll of course be going directly to the HDHomerun device and will bypass the TVHeadend server completely. Once the TVH add-on is installed, configure it with the IP address, username and password etc that correspond to wherever you have the TVHeadend server set up and the user you made in it when you set it up.

That should activate the TV and Radio entries in the main Kodi menu, and under those you should be able to access the EPG to do recordings, and once you have some they will appear under the recordings sub-menu option in the same place.

If you have an Android phone/tablet, I can also very highly recommend this client for it, which will enable you to also view the EPG on your phone/tablet, set up recordings from there and also view recorded shows from it.

Configuring the TVH server itself is a little outside what we support here, but using the wizard built into it then normally it's not too hard. The key point is to make sure that you are using the correct protocol when you set up the HDHomerun source in the server. For the UK I had to change mine to DVB-T (initially it was found as DVB-S if I remember correctly) but that's the only tweak I had to make, beyond that the setup wizard should walk you through it. That combined with the tutorials linked above and in my previous post should hopefully get you through.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-02-26, 21:31)Dennis_D Wrote: I'm running Kodi 17.6 (OSMC) thru a Rpi3.  I have a HDHomerun Connect that I have TRIED to get to run thru TVheadend, but failed.  It seems to just default thru the official HDHomerun addon.  It wants nothing to do with TVHeadend.  I would gladly pay the subscription fee to SiliconDust for the EPG & record function, but those just don't exist in the official addon. 

There is an Unofficial HDHomerun Addon with epg and recording function. I found this solution to be the most reliable option for DVR and EPG with SiliconDust devices. I was unable to successfully setup TVHedend with the HomerunPrime however, I'm sure it's possible.
I remain confused about this. Sorry. I have an Kodi/LibreELEC/Raspberry PI stack. I have a HDHOMErun "Connect" tuner. I get live TV. I get a TV grid of upcoming broadcasts. What I cannot yet understand is what TVHeadend is for? I don't see it on Kodi/LibreELEC addons. I can install TVH on my Linux box, but have no idea of how that makes the media player Kodi record TV.
It sounds to me like you have your Kodi install with the HDHomerun PVR (wiki) add-on installed, and it's thus taking the channel streams directly from the Connect and playing them in Kodi. Is that correct?

That's an OK solution if all you want is playback, but you can't use it to record (at least without paying the subscription to Silicon Dust for their expanded service including extra EPG and recording).

This is where TVHeadend comes in. If you use that as a "man in the middle" then you can have the TVH server take the streams from the Connect instead, and it can record them as well (without having to pay anything to anyone). You can then use the TVHeadend PVR (wiki) addon in Kodi to to view the streams via the TVHeadend server, including recordings that the server has made by your request.

Kodi is just the player in both cases, but you're adding TVHeadend into the set-up as the recorder device. If you're of a similar vintage to me and remember VHS video recorders (VCRs), it's the equivalent on unplugging your aerial cable from the back of your TV and instead connecting it into the VCR, and then a second cable from the VCR into your TV. You then go from just being able to view live TV to being able to record and playback as well as viewing live.

So the proposed set-up is moving from Connect --> Kodi to Connect --> THVheadend server --> Kodi, and using that extra server to capture and record the channel streams as required.

The TVHeadend server can run anywhere on your network, but there is an add-on for it in the LibreElec repo which allows it to be installed on the LibreElec device if you want to keep everything together on one device and maybe save a bit of traffic across your local network between server and Kodi.

Kodi Blog Posts
Well, I just checked and I seem to be using the "unofficial" PVR HDHomerun Client.  I tried enabling to the TVHeadend HTSP Client and I get a popup message that says "Access Denied."

I thought that I had setup TVHeadend as the backend a while back.  But I can't remote into it any more.  My old Windows laptop died.  I use a Fire HD tablet for my online stuff for now.  Any other ways of getting into it?
@Dennis_D - If I remember correctly there's an add-on for the TVHeadend server in the appstore under MyOSMC (I normally use LibreElec myself, but have dabbled with OSMC a little in the distant past).

So you should be able to set it up on your Pi3 and then have everything all in one place.

Install that, and then connect to it via a web browser (point the browser at port 9981 on the IP address of your Pi) and set it up as normal (details in the previous posts). Finally use the PVR (wiki) add-on in Kodi with whatever username/password credentials you just set up in the server and either the Pi's IP address or localhost (127.0.0.1) as the server IP address. Then you should be up and running all in two boxes, your HDHomerun and your Pi.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Necessary bits and pieces for recording tv0