No DVDs in Kodi 18
OSX Version: 10.14.2
Platform: iMac 14,3
Install Method: DMG
Version of Kodi/XBMC: 18.0 Git:20190128-d81c34c465
Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem:
  1. Upgraded from Kodi 17 to 18
  2. Insert any DVD
  3. Kodi will not detect the DVD and show the DVD icon on the Home screen.
I am able to go to Videos > Files > Volumes to access the DVDs.

FULL Debug Log:
https://pastebin.com/Kay3M5eh

GUI Problems (Navigation, Finding options, Setup, Labels, etc):

Skin name: xonfluence

Like is says above. I was able to watch DVDs just fine until I upgraded to Kodi 18. I had the same issue in previous beta versions of Kodi using a variety of skins. The DVDs are detected by the OS. The only change has been upgrading to Kodi 18.
Does the estuary skin behave the same?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Estuary behaves the same way. I have tried enabling the auto-play feature for DVDs, to try to bypass the need for the button, but that doesn't work either. 

Something I have noticed is that I am now able to use the eject key on my keyboard to eject the DVD. In previous versions of Kodi I wasn't able to do that. I had always imagined that Kodi in someway takes ownership of the DVD and prevents it from ejecting. That doesn't seem to be happening now.
Can you post a debug log (wiki) when inserting dvd? I have swapped out my dvd drive in exchange for a second ssd so can‘t easily test this.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
By the way, thanks for helping me with this.

The debug I posted in the original message includes me inserting a dvd.
I’m at work right now, but this evening I’ll post another debug log of just me inserting a dvd.

I will also dig out an external dvd drive and try this out on an old MacBook Air that I have.
(2019-02-07, 16:05)JCsHands Wrote: By the way, thanks for helping me with this.

The debug I posted in the original message includes me inserting a dvd.
I’m at work right now, but this evening I’ll post another debug log of just me inserting a dvd.

I will also dig out an external dvd drive and try this out on an old MacBook Air that I have.
I have generated a new Kodi.log file.

I found that if I delete the log file while Kodi is running, then attempt to load and eject the DVD, no log file is generated. 

With that in mind I removed the existing log file. Restarted Kodi, ejected and inserted the DVD a couple of times and am pasting those results now.

https://pastebin.com/wGP2YVem
(2019-02-07, 06:03)JCsHands Wrote: Estuary behaves the same way. I have tried enabling the auto-play feature for DVDs, to try to bypass the need for the button, but that doesn't work either. 

Something I have noticed is that I am now able to use the eject key on my keyboard to eject the DVD. In previous versions of Kodi I wasn't able to do that. I had always imagined that Kodi in someway takes ownership of the DVD and prevents it from ejecting. That doesn't seem to be happening now.
 Here is the log file from Kodi starting on my MacBook Air with an external DVD drive attached to it. The DVD Player application starts each time I insert the DVD, but even after closing it Kodi won't detect the DVD.

https://pastebin.com/HSkBKgUk

OSX Version: 10.14.3
Platform: MacBookAir4,2
Install Method: DMG
Version of Kodi/XBMC: 18.0 Git:20190128-d81c34c465
Skin name: estuary
Thx for the logs. Not the slightest trace about the dvd drive in there though. I need to try to reproduce it here. My dvd drive is in my docking station - I hope i find some time to try it out on the weekend - but schedule is pretty full already.
I was able to reproduce  the issue. There was a crash I fixed were a user had some "Toshiba Virtual CD Drive Media" installed which was detected as dvd drive and crashed in the detection code in Kodi. Unfortunately the fix I used now results in the fact that real cd drives might not be detected as well.

I need to get this virtual cd drive software on my Mac somehow and need to find a proper fix for the crash. If I just undo the bug fix - it will crash again for people with those virtual cd software (which might come bundled with some hard drives if I got the bug reporter right).

Could you do me a favor and download this zip here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6az2eama3v4pkvu/cdio.zip?dl=0

It contains 2 console tools. Please run those from a terminal while you have inserted a dvd media in your drive and post the output.

This tools are part of the libcdio project and should show some info about your drive and media.

Beside that fact that I know which change causes your issue - there is still something else wrong on Mac OS. Because the problem is that Kodi tries to ask for the tray state of the drive (which should be opened or closed) but it gets "operation unsupported". The bug fix I did for the other user was - if "operation unsupported" is returned - handle it as there was no drive at all in the system ...

So I would like to know why getting the tray state is unsupported on Mac OS - in addition I prepare to revert the bug fix for the other user to restore the dvd drive detection on Mac OS.
Here is the output of the two files:

cd-drive
https://pastebin.com/PPeBVCw9

cd-info
https://pastebin.com/gNGNiHNv
thx

Code:
CD-ROM drive supports no MMC

Thats the reason why Kodi can't determine the tray state. Good to know for being able to do a proper fix for that other user maybe. If all goes well your cd drive should work again once Kodi 18.1 comes out.
just updated to Kodi 18.1 RC1 and my DVD drive is detected once again. 

Thanks for all of your help Memphiz!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No DVDs in Kodi 180