Kodi 18 vs 17: issue with local .nfo\artworks while scraping
Hello,
Posting into Windows section, but it happens also on the Kodi installed in my two Android TV box (Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV).

I usually do not use Kodi on windows, but on my two Android TV; anyway I reproduced the problem also on Windows 10.

After the upgrade from Kodi 17 to Kodi 18, I noticed a very strange behaviour.
All my movied are in separate folders, but folder name does not always match movie name
In all folders there is the specific .nfo file togheter with artworks and scanning the movie repository using SAMBA.
After scanning movies with Kodi 18 I notice that several of them are not displayed in the movie wall with the correct poster artwork and so on.... but the displayed image a piece of the movie, in the same way as no local info available.
Since this was not happening in the past with Kodi 17, I reproduced the issue and can confirm that:
was OK with Kodi 17
is not OK with Kodi 18 on Windows and Android TV, no matter 32 o 64 bit.

Here there is the full log
https://paste.kodi.tv/ujeloyaxow

Please see from row 1187.
I am scanning just 1 movie to have a "clean" test case
In the folder there are of course the movie itself, the .nfo file, the poster file, etc.

Thanks
Performed additional tests with HTTP instead of SAMBA and also DNLA.
Same results.
So it seems not depending from the access protocol.
You've got some unrelated audio issue going on there, makes it a bit hard to follow your log.

How are your poster image files named?

On your movie source settings, what do you have for the radiobutton "movies are in separate folders that match the movie title?"

If you navigate to the movie in the library, and open the movie info for it, can you set the artwork for poster to your image?

scott s.
To perform these tests I am using a PC without audio card.
Anyway I notice the very same behaviour on any other devices: Sony Xperia smartphone, nVidia Shield TV, Xiaomi Mi Box S, Windows 10 PC, etc.

Poster file are named "poster.jpg".
Artworks and .nfo buit by TinyMediaManager. Anyway they worked perfectly until the Kodi 18 upgrade, across all my devices.

"movies are in separate folders that match the movie title?" NOT flagged because not always my movie folders have the same name of the movie.
Anyway, the issue happens even when both are the same.

OK.... If I navigate to the movie library and select a movie experiencing the issue and select "information", on the left, insted of the poster I see a black&white icon showing a videocamera.
If I select the "choose art" button, then i see 3 items:
- poster: showing a blank (black) image (so, not showing the poster.jpg image available in the filesystem)
- thumbnail: showing a piece of the movie itself. This is the one I see in the Movie\Wall instead of the poster.
- fanart: showing the correct fanart of the filesystem

The most significative test is the one confirming that removing Kodi 18 and installing Kodi 17... everything is fine... and it has been fine for months, until the upgrade.

Unfortunately I can not (I am not able) to side-load Kodi 17 on nVidia Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box S (both Android TV setup), because they refuse to install this app from the APK.
Additional and fresh infos:

I just installed Kodi 17.6 on my Android TV and with this version everything is fine, again.
I do now know why, but I was unable to install the 64 bit version, so I loaded the 32 bit one... even if the CPU is a 64 bit one.

the reason that pushed me from Kodi 17 to Kodi 18 was because Kodi 17 was not able to scan my repository with HTTP protocol... in the http response there was always a ".nomedia" telling to Kodi to skip the object... issues fixed in Kodi 18.
Can you provide the following...

1. The NFO file for the movie. Paste it to the same site you posted your log
2. A screenshot of your folder where we can clearly see the address bar showing the path, and the video file and artwork for the movie.

Lets rule out errors in the folder and files, before looking at other causes. And before you state it, yes I understand it worked for you in v17.x
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
here is the screenshot from a PC mounting the SAMBA share.
On Kodi I do not link the mounted drive on the filesystem, rather I use the SAMBA network location.

Here the .nfo file.
https://paste.kodi.tv/vomiwomutu.kodi

Ok, there seems to be a problem with a lot of the tags in the NFO File.

You have used TMM, but I am guessing you did not specify Kodi compatible NFO Files in the settings, as some of those tags won't work and don't apply to Kodi. Check your setting in Settings>Movies>NFO Settings. Also check the TV one. Change them both to NFO Format = Kodi

Can you go to the Set Content screen and ensure Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title is Enabled as shown in image 9a here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources#Set_Content

Then remove the movie from the library and try scanning it back into the library.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I used TMM and of course my default is to produce Kodi compatible NFO and, moreover, worked with Kodi older then 18.

I can not set the radio button telling to Kodi that movie file and folder have the same name, because it is not my case.... I have mix... some time they are the same, some time they are not.
Anyway, I tested with some cases where they are the same, and the result does not change at all.

I looked into the .nfo and I can not find any reference to the poster file.
How does the process to "import" the poster.jpg file work?
Assuming I have a folder with MOVIE.mkv and poster.jpg and also MOVIE.nfo... let me please understand when and how Kodi takes into consideration the poster.jpg file.

Thanks.

Anyway.... I know... I am repeating... but worked until the upgrade to Kodi 18 :-(((((((
Sorry, I cannot help you.
My Signature
I realized that the movies correctly displayed, with the correct poster locally stored are just the DVD (I mean movies with the typical DVD structure... VIDEO_TS and so on) all the other are not.

Hope this may help
Solution found, but... some one from the Kodi team should explain.

All my movies are stored in separate folder, one folder for each movie.
Every folder contains the movie and artworks.
"poster" file is always "poster.jpg".
.nfo and artworks generated by tinyMediaManager: if the movie is Babel... i have
- Babel.mkv
- Banel.nfo
- Poster.jpg
- etc.... .jpg

Worked with Kodi 17 from the very beginning.

Kodi 18 does not display poster image

Renaming "poster.jpg" to "Babel-poster.jpg" solves the problem and even Kodi 18 correctly displays the posters.

WHYHuh??
The only way Kodi alone will do this is with the setting Karellen pointed you to - Kodi has been like this for some time. If you were using an additional artwork tool like Artwork Downloader or Artwork Beef then they may have been doing this for you before.
Agree.  AFAIK, it has long (since like Frodo?) been that you have to have the "movies are in separate folders...." checked to use file names like poster.jpg.  Otherwise it's moviefilename-poster.jpg.   So it looks like:
somemovie.mkv
somemovie.nfo
somemovie-poster.jpg
somemovie-fanart.jpg
etc

scott s.
Please,
read what I wrote.
I simply wrote that the setup I used in the past until the upgrade to Kodi 18 Leia was:
- dedicated folder for each movie
- some folder name the same as the movie name\title, other no
- "movies are in separate folders...." radio button NEVER cheked
- poster file in the format "poster.jpg"
This setup worked perfectly across all the devices in my hands (nVidia Shiled, Xiaomi Mi Box, Windows PC, Sony smartphone, etc.). Notice that the movie repository is one for all, mounted with SAMBA.

Then the upgrade to Kodi 18 Leia and immediately Kodi started to show thumbnails instead of posters.
Then I followed your suggestion.
Performed every kind of test and provided logs:
- dedicated folder for each movie
- folder name the same as the movie name\title
- "movies are in separate folders...." radio button cheked
- poster file in the format "poster.jpg"
and this again DOES NOT work.
Then renamed poster.jpg into movie_name-poster.jpg and.... it works.

If this is the solution, it is OK... we can close the discussion here, immediately.

But... do not consider me crazy: before asking help I try to read docs and Wiki and... I did.

Regards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 vs 17: issue with local .nfo\artworks while scraping0