Updated and Lost Everything!
macOS
everytime i upgrade this app all settings and database is gone! can we get a backup option or store settings and database in a different folder?
there must be something really odd with your macOS..
I try almost every update on a Mac too and had never problems (along with other hundrets/thousands of macOS user out there?).. But macOS is strange too!

where do you have your tmm installation? I know that it works differently if you have it in your downloads folder.
How do you update? with the internal updater, or do you download the latest distribution files from release.tinymediamanager.org ? if you do not use the internal update mechanism, then you use a new instance of tmm all the time! since tmm tmm is designed to be a "portable" app, all data is kept inside the tmm folder (tmm.app for macOS). If you just replace it, you replace all data too!

nevertheless, we do create backups (of the DB - maybe this could be a good idea to include the config too) at every startup; we put this into the /backups folder INSIDE the tmm folder (tmm.app for macOS)

hope that helps
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
(2019-02-07, 08:37)mlaggner Wrote: there must be something really odd with your macOS..
I try almost every update on a Mac too and had never problems (along with other hundrets/thousands of macOS user out there?).. But macOS is strange too!

where do you have your tmm installation? I know that it works differently if you have it in your downloads folder.
How do you update? with the internal updater, or do you download the latest distribution files from release.tinymediamanager.org ? if you do not use the internal update mechanism, then you use a new instance of tmm all the time! since tmm tmm is designed to be a "portable" app, all data is kept inside the tmm folder (tmm.app for macOS). If you just replace it, you replace all data too!

nevertheless, we do create backups (of the DB - maybe this could be a good idea to include the config too) at every startup; we put this into the /backups folder INSIDE the tmm folder (tmm.app for macOS)

hope that helps
yes i just replaced the app, the backup folder needs to be outside of the app for it to persist through replacing the app
why don't you just use the updater?

we don't plan to extract data outside of tmm
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
(2019-02-07, 15:48)mlaggner Wrote: why don't you just use the updater?

we don't plan to extract data outside of tmm

I was on RC1 and went to nightlies.

How about a export button, or atleast instructions on what needs to be copied out for safe keeping

Or the ability to select the location for those files with default being in the app
Usually, you just click on update when notification pops-up.
At least, this is what the majority of our users will do.

If you always install fresh, i would expect the user to know, what he/she is doing.
TMM is portable, and the settings part of installation folder.
Whis is nice, especially when you have 1, 2 or more installations parallel (eg for testing)

But to call this thread "updated and lost everything!" (which implies a physical data loss) is a kinda harsh critic, don't you think?
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated and Lost Everything!0