TVHeadEnd 4.3 - Using a capture Card
I've got a Magewell 4k Pro capture card. I have managed to successfully install this on Ubuntu 18.10...The plan was to use this as I used the Hauppague Colossus 2 on a Next PVR build on Windows: the device was recognised as a signal source and I then used a C++ script I wrote to trigger channel changes from a Kodi front end and used an EPG XML file I also created to define the channel listings.

First issue I have though is that TVHeadEnd is not showing my device up as a TV card. When inquiring about hardware to use with TVHeadEnd a few months ago I was advised that if you could install the card via the Linux kernel then TVH could generally support it. Can anyone give me any advice on getting TVH to recognise my device? I've come a long way on this build and I would hate to fall at the final hurdle...
(2019-02-09, 02:00)gdogg371 Wrote: I've got a Magewell 4k Pro capture card. I have managed to successfully install this on Ubuntu 18.10...The plan was to use this as I used the Hauppague Colossus 2 on a Next PVR build on Windows: the device was recognised as a signal source and I then used a C++ script I wrote to trigger channel changes from a Kodi front end and used an EPG XML file I also created to define the channel listings.

First issue I have though is that TVHeadEnd is not showing my device up as a TV card. When inquiring about hardware to use with TVHeadEnd a few months ago I was advised that if you could install the card via the Linux kernel then TVH could generally support it. Can anyone give me any advice on getting TVH to recognise my device? I've come a long way on this build and I would hate to fall at the final hurdle...
 What kind of device does the Magewell install itself as ?  ISTR some Magewells appear as UVC devices (i.e. appear like webcams) rather than appearing as video capture sources.  There is also the major difference that the Colossus generates an H264 or MPEG2 compressed video source in an MPEG2 transport stream ISTR (so quite similar to a DVB/ATSC device), whereas some UVC capture cards deliver an uncompressed or MJPEG type source.

If your card appears as a source that ffmpeg can use as an input you will probably be able to pipe it into TV Headend using an IPTV source and a pipe:// source with ffmpeg compressing the captured to h.264 within an MPEG2 transport stream format (there is discussion how to do this on the TV Headend site).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVHeadEnd 4.3 - Using a capture Card0