WIP Rockchip RK3399 devices running LibreELEC Kodi Leia
Hi folkz,

I have tested this (Radxa ROCK Pi 4    LibreELEC-RK3399.arm-8.90.015-rock-pi-4.img.gz) image on my NanoPi M4 (4GB version) and it work like a charm.
It is very stable like my other Raspberry 3B Box. Netflix, Amazon, YT - all running nice and smoothly.
The only which did not work is the spotify plugin. The audio output comes out distorted like white noise and at some point the system hangs.
When this is fixed the NanoPi will replace my Raspberry because of following main reasons:
1. MUCH better Wifi performance
2. Speed - the UI and whole operation is much quicker and it feels really snappy compared to the RPi 3

I like the thought to have my Retrogaming platform comined with my audio/video entertainment platform - no os switching anymore Wink
The NanoPi has plenty of power to be the ideal retro gaming platform.

- For your interest here are some of my other observations during my 2 days trail with the device

Friendlydesktop
- rk3399-sd-friendlydesktop-bionic-4.4-arm64-20190511.img
- its ok but on my system the Pulseaudio (Sound Mixer) UI doesnt work. It is looking for devices forever. Sound (HDMI) isnt working either. (Maybe I will retry with Xenial - but for now I have enough of it Wink )
- have tried to install Netflix DRM stuff for using it with chromium (widevine) but with no success.
- speed is somewhat slow compared to Armbian

Armbian
Armbian_5.59_Nanopim4_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.152_desktop_sd (from friendlyelec)
- es very fast and responsive
- looks nice
- audio is working
- I like the setup tool
- easy to install to a harddisc (SD card is only needed for boot loader, OS will be on HD)
- less features than friendlyelec desktop but everything works (feels more mature)
- no HW support for mali gpu ?
- And here is the bitter pill: After apt update & upgrade system goes into boot loop!

Armbian_5.75_Nanopim4_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.174_desktop (from armbian)
- system hangs in a boot loop from the beginning. Have tried different PSU and will retry with another SD card today. Hopefully this will help...

=> The boot loop behaves the same on both version. This rises the probability for a SW issue. Loop is very short 2-3 seconds - red lights goes on, green light blinks, reset, repeat forever Sad

Recalbox
- recalbox_rockpi4_beta.img.xz
- boots up and I can hear sound but I have no video (HDMI / TV)
- does not boot on my monitor (DELL P2417H) because the requested HDMI mode was not supported (?!)
- really keen to get this one working!

Would like to here more about it. Will share my explorations.

Cheers,
dasdev
(2019-02-26, 20:35)lcapriotti Wrote: The quest for a proper "living room compatible" case/combo is on, passive cooling is a must ofc... Wink

I know this is a post in an older thread, but liked both and wanted to says "thx" and to make a small contribution.

You may have already found your solution, but I've seen a couple of nice cases that incorporate the large heatsink for the Rock Pi 4. Some of them have room for the M.2 hat.

The cases are a bit hard to find, though I've seen the ecoPi version available through Allnet, and occasionally through Amazon.

ecoPi Pro Lp Aluminum Housing for Rock Pi 4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3399 devices running LibreELEC Kodi Leia0