Migrating a Jarvis skin to Leia
(2019-04-18, 00:29)Hitcher Wrote: Because you don't have a valid skinshortcuts-mainmenuinclude?

I have removed all instances of this include and a few others that I pulled from the log. Still the same issue.

The skin, with and without making these changes, works in Krypton still.

Thanks for the input. I will keep digging.
I think you need to fix those includes before anything else.  Do a global search on "9000" which is probably in one of those bugged includes.  That's probably you main menu and isn't getting loaded with home.xml.  You might take a look at XBMC Skinning Tool 1.2.6.  It's kind of old but I find it's still useful in debugging skins.

scott s.
I've removed all invalid includes as noted in each log but that hasn't corrected the issue.

Essentially what's happening, to my best guess, is the main menu wraplist is failing to load. It works fine in Krypton and previous but in Leia the list itself fails.

Looking for invalids or warnings doesn't pop out anything else that notes this. only the previously mentioned line

"ERROR: Control 9000 in window 10000 has been asked to focus, but it can't"

Control 9000 is the wraplist for the main menu and window 10000 is Home.xml.

So this is where I am still stumped.
What's the code?
This is the code. By no means am I an expert at this so if I've done anything glaringly incorrect please be kind! I've tinkered and played with things to see what works.

Home.xml

Home_Includes.xml

The main menu looks and acts as it should save for the wraplist and then any variables dependent on the wraplist (backgrounds, info bars etc). It works fine in Krypton/Jarvis.

As always all input and help is greatly appreciated.
Do all the skin strings have values?
(2019-04-19, 08:39)Hitcher Wrote: Do all the skin strings have values?

I'm sorry, I don't follow your question. 

I found 2 instances of skin strings in the manual  but it's late so I will have to come back to this tomorrow.

I hope it's the right path!
Your code is full of skin.string values and if they're empty you won't get any content.
(2019-04-19, 09:57)Hitcher Wrote: Your code is full of skin.string values and if they're empty you won't get any content.

I don't believe anything is missing. I've looked through all the instances for skin.string in the Includes_Home and they all appear to be complete.

I did some testing with the Home.xml and it seems to be working properly, just the wraplist from Home_Includes is the fail point. 

I continue to tinker and always appreciate any input.
1. Please fix the bad bools

a quick look:
!IsEmpty(Control.GetLabel(789))
IntegerGreaterThan(Container(9010).NumItems,0)

2.  Did you cut and paste code for the main menu?  It looks to me that the intent of the design should be that all the required elements for the wraplist and ffixedlist options should be part of the ManMenuListWrapped and MainMenuListFixed includes and NOT in MainMenuListContent include. This last include should only contain the <content></content> from the FallbackMenu include I would think.

But since your FallbackMenu include is broken (no such bool as <include condition="IsEmpty(Skin.String(Videos))> You're never going to have any content in your main menu I'm afraid.

I recommend you go back over the skinning changes for Krypton and Leia and get a list of all the bool changes which IIRC were optional in Krypton and mandatory in Leia and do a global find and replace  e.g find  "IsEmpty" replace with  "String.IsEmpty"

scott s.
(2019-04-19, 21:32)scott967 Wrote: 1. Please fix the bad bools

a quick look:

2.  Did you cut and paste code for the main menu?  It looks to me that the intent of the design should be that all the required elements for the wraplist and ffixedlist options should be part of the ManMenuListWrapped and MainMenuListFixed includes and NOT in MainMenuListContent include. This last include should only contain the <content></content> from the FallbackMenu include I would think.

But since your FallbackMenu include is broken (no such bool as <include condition="IsEmpty(Skin.String(Videos))> You're never going to have any content in your main menu I'm afraid.

I recommend you go back over the skinning changes for Krypton and Leia and get a list of all the bool changes which IIRC were optional in Krypton and mandatory in Leia and do a global find and replace  e.g find  "IsEmpty" replace with  "String.IsEmpty"

scott s.

Alright, we are getting there!

As a test I searched out all IsEmpty and replaced with String.IsEmpty. Now I have the main menu bar working. The sub-menu bars are not. But it's progress!

Scott, I am not clear where you get the FallbackMenu include being broken. I have searched for that code but not found it. The same with your 2 lines in point 1. Apologies if I'm not following along here correctly, but wanting to make sure I understand where you are finding things so we are on the same page.

I am going through more of the Krypton bools now. Thanks again for your time helping me out with all of this. I hope to report back more good news!
Did some more searching out old bools, migrating some old code to new, got my DialogueVideoInfo working fully (I believe) but have found my custom view I built last year doesn't work. That's a problem for another day though as the sub-menu from my home screen still doesn't work. I took the changes backwards into Krypton and I have the same issue there. I used the old Home_Includes with all the other changes and still no sub-menu. I'm a bit stumped there now. But still trying.

Really appreciate all who've helped me get to this point.
(2019-04-19, 21:32)scott967 Wrote: 1. Please fix the bad bools

a quick look:

scott s.

Hey Scott, I quoted you again in hope you might see this.

I've been reading and re-reading what you wrote and trying to follow along. I'm still not certain where you saw the error code you noted but I have understood what you meant in putting the main menu into a single wraplist. I have done that and it's working like it did previously, without the need for extra includes.

I'm still having issues with the sub-menu. I believe it's in changing the old bools IsEmpty, Substring and StringCompare to the new String.IsEmpty, String.Contains and String.IsEqual bools. I have a feeling this is where the error occurs but I am not certain how to correct it. 

I've been looking at some other skins for inspiration but none I've found seem to follow this "old" method" and my tinkering attempts haven't produced fruit yet.

Hoping you can shed a bit more light on what you wrote previously that will continue my journey forward.

Here is the current state of my Home_Includes.xml
Alright more work put in and I've figured out the sub-menu. Works sort of like it did but not also it's a wraplist. Only trouble I'm having is working a fade animation to get the text to fade in after a delay but fade out quickly when focus moves off. Otherwise good to go!

A few more tweaks to things that have changed and I'm almost up and running. Needing to explore some addon options that no longer seem to function however.

Always appreciate the time people put in reading and offering advice. Same with my neighbor popping his head under the hood of my car now and then. Only I can't give my thanks with a cold beer and some dogs on the BBQ to all you folks!

Cheers!
Big shout out to @scott967  @Karellen and @Hitcher as well as all others who've offered help, insight and tips in assisting me on migrating my customized skin from Jarvis/Krypton over to Leia.

I have a couple issues with older addons I'm hoping to find resolutions to and maybe 2 or 3 small aesthetic tweaks to make but after doing a bit more mindless staring at code I've got my skin working pretty close to how I want it.

I have noticed that a togglebutton now seems to have a small visible dash always visible. That wasn't around before and I've narrowed it directly to the togglebutton.

Also I haven't found info yet on subtitle control in the player being changed from within the audio control panel?

Still hoping in future builds that media tags can be read by more screens like the media lists. That would make my library look and management so much cleaner.

Thanks again everyone for your hard work and being supportive in this very novice customizer's quest!

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrating a Jarvis skin to Leia0