[Guide] Getting Started with Kodi Retroplayer
(2019-02-11, 01:04)zachmorris Wrote:

Note that the game addons do not show up in the Kodi repository for Linux. Game emulator addons are available in the Kodi nightly ppa for Linux users. You can download the game addons individually using these commands:
xml:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi-game-libretro-beetle-bsnes
or you can download all of them at one go:
xml:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi-game*

Although note currently not a lot of the addons are available in the ppa due to building issues. To get all the game addons it's easier to build and install them yourself following the instructions here, or you can download a 3rd party repository that builds the addons like this one.

Quote: 
I have installed game addons using the commands given above but they are not shown while selecting any game in Kodi's retroplayer.  While selecting any game in IAGL it gives "game nnot compatible with any available emulators"These addons are installed in 
xml:
 /usr/share/kodi/addons
. Can anyone help with it?
(2021-06-04, 21:00)Shardul Wrote:
(2019-02-11, 01:04)zachmorris Wrote:

Note that the game addons do not show up in the Kodi repository for Linux. Game emulator addons are available in the Kodi nightly ppa for Linux users. You can download the game addons individually using these commands:
xml:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi-game-libretro-beetle-bsnes
or you can download all of them at one go:
xml:

sudo apt-get update

Although note currently not a lot of the addons are available in the ppa due to building issues. To get all the game addons it's easier to build and install them yourself following the instructions here, or you can download a 3rd party repository that builds the addons like this one.

Quote: 
I have installed game addons using the commands given above but they are not shown while selecting any game in Kodi's retroplayer.  While selecting any game in IAGL it gives "game nnot compatible with any available emulators"These addons are installed in 
xml:
 /usr/share/kodi/addons
. Can anyone help with it?

Some things to verify:
- You restarted Kodi
- In Kodi, go to Addons>My Addons>Game Addons>Emulators/Standalone Games (depending on the addon) and verify the addons installed are Enabled (perhaps they defaulted to disabled)
- Likewise in Kodi, go to Addons>My Addons>Game Addons>Support Addons and verify game Libretro Compatibility is installed (game.libretro) and enabled

If any of that works let me know and I can update the guide.
I have done all of them, in kodi after going to Addons>My Addons>Game Addons, there were four options, controller profiles, Standalone games,Support addons, game providers

In standalone games, there were two addons(one was Mr Boom) and both were enabled, whereas in support addons game libretro was in its latest(2.3.0) and it was also enabled.

See may be I would have done some installation process mistakes, as basically I was developing game.libretro using https://github.com/NikosSiak/game.libret...g-on-linux (so it will be in latest version which uses retroachievements)  but it was not working after developing than on installing all binary addons using command: 
xml:
sudo make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) -C tools/depends/target/binary-addons PREFIX=/usr/local
while I was in $HOME/kodi directory, and this time it worked.

After that libretro compatibility and two games in standalone games were visible in Kodi. Now for playing other games, I followed this guide and using the commands:
xml:

sudo apt-get update
while I was in $HOME directory.
This is whole I have done till now, if you pick any errors it would be of great help.

Edit: I searched for the .so files saved of these libretro cores so there location was"/usr/ lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/addons/game.libretro."name" and in this location game.libretro.so file was also present whose version is 2.2.0(older one) but in Kodi the version visible is 2.3.0 wand the corresponding game.libretro file is stored at "local/lib/kodi/addons/game.libretro" which I think means that Kodi is not looking at location "/usr/ lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/addons/" for addons.
Hello Folks

I have to say i'm having a jolly lovely time jumping back into some old school classics! Smile

I'm looking for some help / hints when it comes to using amiga emulation. I've installed and use the IAGL add-on to browse for and dowload games, i've increased the game cache folder so i can play downloaded games without them being flushed.

Some games (Cannon Fodder, Speedball) work, but other games such as Monkey Island, Syndicate & Beneath a Steel Sky crash out of kodi on launch of the game.

I'm using Kodi on a MacbookPro 2010 and I have the relevant kickstart BIOS rom's. These are showing as installed in the correct location using the excellent checker from @zachmorris and are highlighted in green.

I've attached a debug log from kodi and also the program error from MacOS, any hints gratefully received.

Mac Error

Kodi Debug Log
(2021-06-05, 21:51)littlejeem Wrote: Hello Folks

I have to say i'm having a jolly lovely time jumping back into some old school classics! Smile

I'm looking for some help / hints when it comes to using amiga emulation. I've installed and use the IAGL add-on to browse for and dowload games, i've increased the game cache folder so i can play downloaded games without them being flushed.

Some games (Cannon Fodder, Speedball) work, but other games such as Monkey Island, Syndicate & Beneath a Steel Sky crash out of kodi on launch of the game.

I'm using Kodi on a MacbookPro 2010 and I have the relevant kickstart BIOS rom's. These are showing as installed in the correct location using the excellent checker from @zachmorris and are highlighted in green.

I've attached a debug log from kodi and also the program error from MacOS, any hints gratefully received.

Mac Error

Kodi Debug Log

Thanks for posting the logs. It looks like a bug in the core. Let's check out what the logs say.

This is logged when the core is initialized:
Code:
Libretro client supports loading with no game
Resolution selected: 720x288

This is logged when the core loads the game:
Code:
Generating config file: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.libretro.uae/save/puae_libretro.uae'
No model specified in: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf'
Booting default model: 'kick40068.A1200'
HD (1) inserted in drive DH0: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUAE 2.6.1 (0186c1b16f7181ffa02d73e6920d3180ce457c46)
Git commit:
Build date: May 21 2021 17:37:08

See the source for a full list of contributors.
This is free software; see the file COPYING for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opening cfgfile '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.libretro.uae/save/puae_libretro.uae' 
RTAREA located at 00F00000
Known ROM 'KS ROM v3.1 (A1200)' loaded
No disk in drive 0.
Building CPU table for configuration: 68020 24-bit
1883 CPU functions
Building CPU, 45954 opcodes (2 0 1)
CPU=68020, FPU=0, MMU=0, JIT=CPU=0.
hfd open: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf'
HDF '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf' opened, size=3872K mode=3 empty=0
Reset at 00000000. Chipset mask = 00000007
PAL mode V=49.9201Hz H=15625.0881Hz (227x312+1) IDX=10 (PAL) D=0 RTG=0/0
hardreset, memory cleared

You could compare the above with other games and look for differences.

UAE crashes when the game loop is first entered. Here's the log:
Code:
6888x no FPU: f201 00009000 PC=00f80ca0
B-Trap f201 at f80ca0 (0x7fc00a568ca0)

Can you post a log of a working game so we can check where things go wrong?
(2021-06-08, 11:15)garbear Wrote:
(2021-06-05, 21:51)littlejeem Wrote: Hello Folks

Mac Error

Kodi Debug Log

Thanks for posting the logs. It looks like a bug in the core. Let's check out what the logs say.

This is logged when the core is initialized:

Code:
Libretro client supports loading with no game
Resolution selected: 720x288

This is logged when the core loads the game:

Code:
Generating config file: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.libretro.uae/save/puae_libretro.uae'
No model specified in: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf'
Booting default model: 'kick40068.A1200'
HD (1) inserted in drive DH0: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf'
PUAE 2.6.1 (0186c1b16f7181ffa02d73e6920d3180ce457c46)
Git commit:
Build date: May 21 2021 17:37:08

See the source for a full list of contributors.
This is free software; see the file COPYING for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Opening cfgfile '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.libretro.uae/save/puae_libretro.uae' 
RTAREA located at 00F00000
Known ROM 'KS ROM v3.1 (A1200)' loaded
No disk in drive 0.
Building CPU table for configuration: 68020 24-bit
1883 CPU functions
Building CPU, 45954 opcodes (2 0 1)
CPU=68020, FPU=0, MMU=0, JIT=CPU=0.
hfd open: '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf'
HDF '/Users/j/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.iagl/game_cache/Syndicate_v2.2_0739.hdf' opened, size=3872K mode=3 empty=0
Reset at 00000000. Chipset mask = 00000007
hardreset, memory cleared

You could compare the above with other games and look for differences.

UAE crashes when the game loop is first entered. Here's the log:

Code:
6888x no FPU: f201 00009000 PC=00f80ca0
B-Trap f201 at f80ca0 (0x7fc00a568ca0)

Can you post a log of a working game so we can check where things go wrong?

@garbear I'm so sorry for missing your response on this. I'll post a log of a working game as soon as I can.
Hello

How do you save game states?  When playing a game say in BeetlePSX?
(2022-03-19, 11:30)Smokeycoles Wrote: Hello

How do you save game states?  When playing a game say in BeetlePSX?

By using the Savestate Manager that our former GSoC student just merged to master a week or two ago. It's also included in my test builds.

It's still early days for savestates, but I'm sure @NikosSiak would like feedback on your experience of getting game savestates to work.
Hi guys!

First of all thank you for this! I think it will become a great feature.

I wanted to ask about emulators that doesn't support VFS, like FB Alpha:
xml:

<extension point="kodi.gameclient"
            library_windows="game.libretro.fbalpha.dll">
        <platforms></platforms>
        <extensions>zip|7z</extensions>
        <supports_vfs>false</supports_vfs>
        <supports_standalone>false</supports_standalone>
    </extension>

So on one hand it supports zip files, but on the other is not able to open them through Kodi browser. Is there a way to use it anyway? or it will only work in the moment VFS support is added? it is just not clear to me how to make it work, because with the ones supporting VFS is not a problem.

Thank you in advance!

PS: Kodi 19.4
(2022-11-19, 23:28)larsete Wrote: Hi guys!

First of all thank you for this! I think it will become a great feature.

I wanted to ask about emulators that doesn't support VFS, like FB Alpha:
xml:

<extension point="kodi.gameclient"
            library_windows="game.libretro.fbalpha.dll">
        <platforms></platforms>
        <extensions>zip|7z</extensions>
        <supports_vfs>false</supports_vfs>
        <supports_standalone>false</supports_standalone>
    </extension>

So on one hand it supports zip files, but on the other is not able to open them through Kodi browser. Is there a way to use it anyway? or it will only work in the moment VFS support is added? it is just not clear to me how to make it work, because with the ones supporting VFS is not a problem.

Thank you in advance!

PS: Kodi 19.4

There is a way to open them in the browser, but your correct that just selecting it the normal way won't play it (you'll get an error in the Kodi log saying something about not being able to browse the archive). Add the folder where your FB games are in Games>Add Games... (aka Add Sources...), then browse to the game file, bring up the context menu, and select play:
Then choose your emulator (suggest FBNeo vs. FBAlpha since its newer):
Voila:

The other option would be to use an addon like AKL to take care of that for you, you can launch games with the addon into Retroplayer (and bonus it will generate your library views too).
Thanks for the answer @zachmorris !

Even doing the right click trick, it wasn't allowing me to select the actual emulator, but in the end the problem was that I had the ROMs in a shared folder in my NAS. Windows Kodi wasn't giving me any message but the Linux version was more clear about it and put me in the right direction; so once I copied them into the local storage everything was fine.

With SNES roms having them in the shared folder wasn't a problem but I understand that it was because the emulator core supports VFS while not the arcade ones right?

Thank you again.
(2022-11-20, 13:26)larsete Wrote: Thanks for the answer @zachmorris !

Even doing the right click trick, it wasn't allowing me to select the actual emulator, but in the end the problem was that I had the ROMs in a shared folder in my NAS. Windows Kodi wasn't giving me any message but the Linux version was more clear about it and put me in the right direction; so once I copied them into the local storage everything was fine.

With SNES roms having them in the shared folder wasn't a problem but I understand that it was because the emulator core supports VFS while not the arcade ones right?

Thank you again.

Right, if it's on a NAS, then some cores can load (if they support VFS) and some can't. However, if you're on Windows you can mount the share as a drive in Windows directly, and it should load from there (essentially Windows does the FS part for you instead of Kodi in this case).
Does it support cheats?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Guide] Getting Started with Kodi Retroplayer1