browsing SMB workgroup is no longer working
I actually just ran a new windows update earlier today and suddenly it fixed itself. Really weird.
thanks, that would make sense on the master browser. I can change OMV to be the master browser and see how it goes.
actually with Win10 this shouldn't be an issue. Maybe its another machine in my house, one of my Win7 machines. Win10 doesn't load SMBv1 by default. I'll check my other boxes.
I had the same problem, i couldnt connect to my PC with kodi or a file explorer, i read thru this post, and loged off my online windows 10 account as some here did, and logged on a local account and everything works fine now.
(2019-02-15, 02:46)scott967 Wrote: I don't know if this is a help, but sometimes I can't browse smb, and it seems like it's due to a win 10 1803 machine taking over master browser (other than my NAS all my systems are windows platform).  I stop the workstation service on the win 10 machine  and bam, everything is browsable again (I have not stopped SMB 1).  I assume one of the other win machines picked up master browser.  The win 10 machine eventually restarts workstation service but master browser doesn't move unless I reboot the machine which picked up master browser.  Also if you are moving or setting up access points, keep in mind SMB doesn't route (I don't think) so you need to make sure your access points are bridging your subnet.

scott s.

Master browser (implemented as the Computer browser service, relying on SMB1), is old obsolete and redundant now.  Even in its day we relied on WINS and later DNS to provide decent name resolution. 

These days on home networks WSD/SSDP provides the equivalent service meaning you get reliable name resolution without running ancient protocols.  If this isn't working for you its worth checking you dont some firewall or service disabled.

The downside is support for these is limited outside of Windows.  I tend to prefer to use a static IP/reservation and connect to something like a NAS in this case, if it doesn't support modern discovery.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
browsing SMB workgroup is no longer working0