Building Kodi from source on hyper-threaded systems.
OK, don't know if this will help or not, but here's the last 1000 lines of the konsole output during a failed build:

konsole error

I hope it means more to you than to me!

I can increase the scrollback if it will help.

--
Pete
Do you run out of memory? Kodi compiling and /tmp being a ramfs too?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well, I've got 16GB of RAM, which ought to be enough! I do a fair bit of video editing, hence the high end spec of the machine. The OS sits on a SSD which has 35GB of free space for /tmp, plus a 4GB swap file on the SSD. I would have thought that ought to be plenty?

--
Pete
Just asked ... the error is odd and the log does not explain anything to me. Also I cannot reproduce, neither with 8,9,10,11,12,...16 cores.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just to re-iterate: The error only occurs when trying to build with crossguid, flatbuffers and fmt internally:
Quote:#Configure build for X11:
cmake ../$SRCNAM-$VERSION-$CODNAM -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DENABLE_INTERNAL_CROSSGUID=ON -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FLATBUFFERS=ON -DENABLE_INTERNAL_FMT=ON -DCORE_SYSTEM_NAME=linux

If its any help, here's my slackbuild script to build a slackpkg:

slackbuild

It looks a bit messy around the cmake --build area as I've been commenting various options in and out, but it should be reasonably clear what is going on (I hope!).

--
Pete
Btw. how much money do you get to use slackware? Just asking - cause I could never understand. Loooking at this script I think the question is understandable, especially the security flaws in there.
Well, that script is only used to build the package. Personally, I've never got on with any of the 'Buntus - never even managed to get one to install! The only other distro I've used is Mageia, which I find handy for non-computer people (like my wife! Wink  ). I like Slackware because even the development version is rock stable and its really not as scary as people make out. If I can manage it, anyone can! But it doesn't lead you by the hand. You make your own mind up about what you want to install (or not) and it is totally systemd free! Yes, I know Mageia uses systemd, but that's one of the reasons I won't use it. Its not a religious thing, I just find slackware faster, easier to understand and more flexible! Boiling in oil is too good for someone who thinks that system logs that can only be read if the system is running is a good idea! Wink

That build script may look intimidating, but its really like a Lego set. And most of the complexity arises from trying to make it so that it will build on any system.

--
Pete
I was rather aiming at: building as root users ... knowing what kodi downloads, how many stuff it builds ... not good.

Any non-religious points against systemd? (while you brought it up?)
maybe https://github.com/wsnipex/xbmc/commit/c...122f75078b helps. Please try an report back
@fritsch: Fair point about building as root - but my system is pretty secure, and I don't keep any really valuable data on it. I'm retired now, so my hobbies (of which computing is only one) are solely to keep my mind alive! Wink  As for systemd, it just seems like unnecessary complication to me. SysV init scripts are simple and easy to understand, and frankly, I haven't seen any speed advantages with systemd. In fact, I can't think of a single advantage, but I have experienced some disadvantages!

@wsnipex: I'll have a look at that tomorrow and let you know how I get on. My wife is calling me for dinner, and if I don't pay her some attention tonight, a build failure will be the least of my worries! Thanks for your help!

--
Pete
OK, I've spent a long session on this this morning, and think the problem is solved.

First of all, I added the extra lines suggested by @wsnipex, but the build still failed. Next I tried rebooting and going straight to run level 3 (Command line, no X). Here, the build succeeded. It also succeeded  when I ran it from XFCE rather than Plasma. Now Plasma is known to be a bit of a resource hog, but I would have thought that I had enough horsepower for that not to be an issue! Or maybe not?

Once I had achieved a successful build - as previously noted - all subsequent builds were successful. At this point I cleared the cache (ccache -C as suggested by @abga), but this time the build succeeded again. I'm beginning to suspect that just as one successful build would produce subsequent success, so a failed build would also guarantee subsequent fails, due to the cache! I've therefore added ccache -C to my build script!

I've also spotted that 18.1 has been released. I've downloaded this, and it too now builds successfully!

I'm not sure what conclusions its possible to draw from all of this, other than that clearing the cache seems a good idea! But I think the problem is now solved

Thanks to all for your help and patience!

--
Pete

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building Kodi from source on hyper-threaded systems.0