Refresh rate switching sometimes not working
Hello,
I have been using Minix Neo U1 with LibreELEC KODI Krypton for about a year, very happy so far. However I noticed recently some stutters/jerky playback from time to time (like frame rate drops down suddenly for few seconds). Watching regular 1080p 24p mkv files. Codec info (ctrl+shift+O) didn't show any frame drops however. I downloaded 24p Kodi testing file and realized, that TV is not switching to 24p but stays at 60p (info button on my philips remote). My connection is minix->onkyo receiver->philips android TV using hdmi, audio passthrough, refresh rate switching ON on start/stop. Onkyo set to passthrough image as well, but I connected minix directly to tv with same result. I tried different hdmi ports on TV, no help. So I tried different input settings on philips tv (you can choose what kind of input you have on hdmi (pc, dvd, stb, home theater..) After choosing blu-ray, swithing to 24p started to work. Funny thing is, I reverted back from blu-ray to "other" (which I had before) and switching is still working properly. I watched only one 24p movie yesterday and playback was fine, so I hope stuttering was caused by mentioned refresh rate switching issue.

My questions are:
1. Anyone experienced similar issue with refresh rate switching ? Looks like it's TV related though.
2. Can refresh rate delay setting have any impact ? I can't see any difference if I set it to 0,5s or 2s for example, except longer black screen when starting/stopping movie. Why would I want longer delay time ? Audio passthroug works perfectly up to dts hd-ma and true-hd.
3. Is it normal that for 25p video TV is set to 50p ? I guess yes as it is double and playback is perfectly smooth.

Thanx a lot.
(2019-02-13, 10:56)jarosujo Wrote: Hello,
3. Is it normal that for 25p video TV is set to 50p ? I guess yes as it is double and playback is perfectly smooth.

Yes - entirely normal. 25p output at 50p is an entirely standard thing (as is 29.97 output at 59.94).

You just get every frame sent twice (2:2 cadence) so no major issues when watching content output this way.
Most TVs can't switch display modes instantly, hence the need for a delay.
My problem was that TV was not switching to 24p, but stayed (sometimes) at 50/60p even when playing 24p movies.
Make sure you turn-on Minix AFTER you turn-on whatever is connected to it (receiver, tv).
More info here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=341198
Not sure about LG TV, but I can see current refresh rate on my Philips TV after pressing INFO button on tv's remote.

Currently I am using Minix Neo U1 + CoreELEC 9 (with Kodi 18) on SD card and I am happy as never. Perfectly smooth playback of all my 1080p movies. I can strongly recommend that combo, but I believe you will be fine with LibreELEC and Kodi 17.6 as well. Since I applied fix on link above, I watched like 20 movies and didn't have stutters for one second.
Hope it helps.
(2019-03-08, 14:54)jarosujo Wrote: My problem was that TV was not switching to 24p, but stayed (sometimes) at 50/60p even when playing 24p movies.
Make sure you turn-on Minix AFTER you turn-on whatever is connected to it (receiver, tv).

Yes the MINIX cannot do an EDID HDMi handshake when it starts up to get valid display modes if the TV / and or AVR is off when you bootup.

There is a workaround to make it more reliable and hardcode the TV display modes into AMLogic - LibreELEC/CoreELEC

SSH Login:

Code:
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap

For a quick and dirty manual upgrade from LE Krypton > CE Leia, it's much the same as the steps in THIS post (click) - minus the config.ini and ODROID specific files.

On my previous post I was answering to "jimmcy", whose post got deleted. Just to explain :-)
(2019-03-09, 18:54)jarosujo Wrote: On my previous post I was answering to "jimmcy", whose post got deleted. Just to explain :-)
 First of all, thank you for answer.

And yes my post got deleted because i unfortunately wrote something about an addon.

Regarding my problem, it is hard to explain, for example the first sequence on wonder woman (about the first 1.30 minutes) it run smoothly no breaks or stutters at all. And then all of a sudden watching a simple episode of a show, i get a little hiccup.

As i said, it is hard to explain.

Regarding the refresh rate info on the tv i don ́t know if its possible on the LG C8.

As for the kodi 18 i had problems trying to download subtitles, it shows the rar file, and (of course) it does not download the subs.

Any ideias?

Thank you.
Why would you download rar files for subtitles ? Just install some subtitles addons (I use opensubtitles, bsplayer and subscene) and download proper subtitles for your file.
Regarding stutters - as I said, you have to check, if your TV is switching to same framerate as is your movie. Most of the movies is still using stupid 24p, god knows why. Shooting in 50/60 fps is so much better.
(2019-03-10, 00:24)jarosujo Wrote: Why would you download rar files for subtitles ? 
 As i said in my original post my native language is not english.

I´m not trying to download rar files for subtitles. What i´m trying to say is, if i use Kodi 17.6 and i choose to download, let´s say a subtitle for Aquaman, everthing works fine, BUT, if i do the EXACT same thing using kodi 18, it will apear as a rar file.

Don't ask me why, but that's what it happens.

I do use opensubtitles.

Thank you.
That is strange, I never had this problem. What about other subtitle addons (bsplayer for example) ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate switching sometimes not working0