• 54(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-12-29, 13:34)MrCrispy Wrote: So what does this mean - HDR on Amlogic under CE won't look good? Then what is the point of HDR?

No - this is to do with HDR content replayed on SDR displays, where Kodi and/or the OS has to do tonemapping from HDR to SDR - which is a lossy process as you are taking a wide colour gamut and dynamic range and squeezing them into a narrower gamut and narrower dynamic range. How you approach that problem will give you different results visually.

Often people expect the UHD HDR movie converted to SDR to match the same movie mastered in SDR HD, and are then disappointed when they don't, and the HD SDR master looks nicer. The reason for that is that the HD SDR stuff was separately mastered and optimised for SDR. And HDR->SDR 'one size fits all' conversion doesn't have the same creative input from a colourist...
(2020-12-29, 13:34)MrCrispy Wrote: The HDR esp DV quality on it is so variable in different players e.g. Android ExoPlayer vs whatever streaming services use. Often image is dark and washed out colors, not at all what I expect in DV. I had read that CE contains lots of tweaks for this and is not limited by Android, so the above is pretty disappointing.

Are you comparing the same content via different routes? If not then all bets are off. Different colourists will chose very different 'looks' for their shows and movies. Some will go for a punchy, saturated look, pushing highlights well into HDR and giving a really colourful, vibrant look to their material. Other colourists will chose to run with a more desaturated look, with grey blacks, less colourful colours, and don't push much into the HDR range. If you compare Young Wallander with MindHunter on Netflix, for instance, they have very different looks.
(2020-12-29, 17:15)noggin Wrote:
(2020-12-29, 13:34)MrCrispy Wrote: The HDR esp DV quality on it is so variable in different players e.g. Android ExoPlayer vs whatever streaming services use. Often image is dark and washed out colors, not at all what I expect in DV. I had read that CE contains lots of tweaks for this and is not limited by Android, so the above is pretty disappointing.

Are you comparing the same content via different routes? If not then all bets are off. Different colourists will chose very different 'looks' for their shows and movies. Some will go for a punchy, saturated look, pushing highlights well into HDR and giving a really colourful, vibrant look to their material. Other colourists will chose to run with a more desaturated look, with grey blacks, less colourful colours, and don't push much into the HDR range. If you compare Young Wallander with MindHunter on Netflix, for instance, they have very different looks.

No I am comparing same content. Specifically DolbyVision on my TCL Roku tv. It looks bad on Netflix (on shows which have DV) so I thought it was a Netflix encoding issue since I didn't have any other sources. Then last week I got a trial of Disney+ so I could watch all the Star Wars/Marvel movies etc in 4K. Disney+ has everything in DV and it looks bad, dark and no bright colors. I've tried various settings and nothing works. I have seen some of the Marvel movies before but only using SDR/HDR and they looked much much better.

This seems to be a common issue - 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/e..._dark_how/
https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussion...d-p/566736
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/a...saturated/
https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-I...d-p/618264

I know this is not a Kodi issue at all so sorry for the off topic post, but you guys are the experts so I thought I'd mention it.
Anyone know why the coreelec edition is the U.S. has been out of stock for a long time? Has anyone purchased in the UK and shipped to the US?

Thanks
I think Coreelec edition bundle was only official for N2 , Not N2+ . And now N2 is not made anymore.

But You can can ofcourse use CE on booth n2/n2+

Edit , clarification
That's not right - Coreelec supports the N2+
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2021-01-10, 11:37)bossanova808 Wrote: That's not right - Coreelec supports the N2+

I think @Jönke was specifically referring to the "CoreElec Edition" which was an all-in-one N2 bundle that used to be sold - where the N2 came with a uSD card pre-installed with CoreElec, and other stuff like the PSU etc.  There doesn't seem to be an N2+ version of this bundle available ?
@noggin exactly what i meant .
A seller in the UK has the Coreelec edition available, shipping to the US is very high

https://www.odroid.co.uk/CoreElec2GB
I’m getting occasional video stuttering while trying to playback 4k remux files (68Mb/s video stream) on my ODROID N2+ with 4GB memory. Everything is hardwired via cat6 cables, content served via NFS from a Synology NAS. After a few seconds of stuttering, “Source Too Slow” will popup over the video.

Debug log here: ayihovucuw.kodi (paste)

I’ve tried specifying NFS version 4.1 in my sources.xml file (nfs://192.168.1.99/volume1/Media/Movies?version=4.1), and cache settings in my advancedsettings.xml file per below. Also experimented with memorysize 924288000 and readfactor 30 with no change in behavior.

xml:

<cache>
      <buffermode>1</buffermode>
      <memorysize>924288000</memorysize>
      <readfactor>30</readfactor>
  </cache>

Any advice would be really helpful. It seems to stutter at the same places in the movie so I’m wondering if the bitrate is too high in those scenes. Thanks!
(2021-01-11, 23:22)NiVRaM Wrote: I’m getting occasional video stuttering while trying to playback 4k remux files (68Mb/s video stream) on my ODROID N2+ with 4GB memory. Everything is hardwired via cat6 cables, content served via NFS from a Synology NAS. After a few seconds of stuttering, “Source Too Slow” will popup over the video.

I’ve tried specifying NFS version 4.1 in my sources.xml file (nfs://192.168.1.99/volume1/Media/Movies?version=4.1), and cache settings in my advancedsettings.xml file per below. Also experimented with memorysize 924288000 and readfactor 30 with no change in behavior.

xml:

<cache>
  </cache>

Any advice would be really helpful. It seems to stutter at the same places in the movie so I’m wondering if the bitrate is too high in those scenes. Thanks!

Have you confirmed that the connection all the way between the NAS and your N2+ is Gigabit Ethernet?  You'd be surprised how a 100Mbs cable (or a GigE cable that isn't quite working properly) can get in the way and compromise things.
(2021-01-12, 10:47)noggin Wrote:
(2021-01-11, 23:22)NiVRaM Wrote: I’m getting occasional video stuttering while trying to playback 4k remux files (68Mb/s video stream) on my ODROID N2+ with 4GB memory. Everything is hardwired via cat6 cables, content served via NFS from a Synology NAS. After a few seconds of stuttering, “Source Too Slow” will popup over the video.

xml:

<cache>
  </cache>

Have you confirmed that the connection all the way between the NAS and your N2+ is Gigabit Ethernet?  You'd be surprised how a 100Mbs cable (or a GigE cable that isn't quite working properly) can get in the way and compromise things.

Did a lot of testing via iperf and found that when I plugged my laptop into the same cat6 cable that the N2+ was using, I started getting full gigabit speed. Previous iperf with the N2+ was ~94Mbit/sec.

Strangely after doing that test, I plugged the same cat6 cable back into my N2+ and now it's getting full gigabit speed. Not sure what the issue was before but seems to have been fixed by replugging the ethernet cable.
The only way I can get 4k HDR working with my yamaha receiver is by using the "Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling" option. Does having this turned on degrade picture quality?
(2021-01-13, 00:42)movies8414 Wrote: The only way I can get 4k HDR working with my yamaha receiver is by using the "Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling" option. Does having this turned on degrade picture quality?

In theory it does, but you probably won't notice it at all.
(2021-01-13, 00:42)movies8414 Wrote: The only way I can get 4k HDR working with my yamaha receiver is by using the "Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling" option. Does having this turned on degrade picture quality?

No - it shouldn't significantly. 

All consumer video is encoded as 4:2:0.  TV displays are 4:4:4/RGB.  Using 4:2:2 (which is also what is used in broadcast production as the main production format) as an interim connection is perfectly normal.  Many UHD Blu-ray players, and media players like the Apple TV 4K, can use 4:2:2 12-bit as their output as it's the only main HDR format that is supported at both 2160p30 and below and 2160p50 and above - the other formats are one or the other. (4:2:0 is only supported at 2160p50 and above, 4:4:4/RGB is only supported in HDR at 2160p30 and below)

Photos and other content rendered at 4K will look a little bit nicer in 4:2:2 than 4:2:0 output as well.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4