• 60(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2021-12-15, 11:02)Boulder Wrote: ATV4K has some irritating issues, like true 24p playback (not 23.976 fps) not working properly and audio bitstreaming doesn't work. I'm not even sure if MrMC or Infuse play all DV files. Apple has not made it easy for the devs.

Wasn't the 1000/1001 refresh rate issue fixed in the recent tvOS 15 update?  (Audio bit streaming is an issue - though you get lossless decode of True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA tracks for 48k/24-bit 5.1 and 7.1 - minus the DialNorm etc. metadata which some AVRs will use for loudness control etc.)
(2021-12-16, 09:42)WoGGo Wrote: In what time frame did they ship yours; I ordered on the 13th, but have not heard anything...?

Hmm, I can't exactly recall - I think maybe 10 days to 2 weeks from order or so I had them?  Don't remember it feeling like a long time.

Of course logistics world wide is absolutely nuts right now due to Christmas and Covid....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2021-12-16, 10:47)noggin Wrote:
(2021-12-15, 11:02)Boulder Wrote: ATV4K has some irritating issues, like true 24p playback (not 23.976 fps) not working properly and audio bitstreaming doesn't work. I'm not even sure if MrMC or Infuse play all DV files. Apple has not made it easy for the devs.

Wasn't the 1000/1001 refresh rate issue fixed in the recent tvOS 15 update?  (Audio bit streaming is an issue - though you get lossless decode of True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA tracks for 48k/24-bit 5.1 and 7.1 - minus the DialNorm etc. metadata which some AVRs will use for loudness control etc.)
Hmm.. didn't notice that it was fixed in tvOS. However, MrMC is not updated for a long time and I'm not sure if it needs to be fixed as well. Infuse would probably contain this fix.
(2021-12-16, 13:22)Boulder Wrote:
(2021-12-16, 10:47)noggin Wrote:

Hmm.. didn't notice that it was fixed in tvOS. However, MrMC is not updated for a long time and I'm not sure if it needs to be fixed as well. Infuse would probably contain this fix.
Yep - was added in tvOS 14.5
removed
I've been using a FLIRC IR device with an old remote with my current HPTC (Intel/Nvidia) for years now without any issue.

Moving it over to my N2+, there seems to be an issue where it won't respond, or will registered twice for one key press, or instead of Enter, it will press the C button.

I've changed batteries, I've covered the N2+'s IR receiver... moving the same set-up back to the HTPC works fines... what could be causing this problem?
So is Odroid N2 still the best Kodi player ?
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
What does 'best' mean to you? 

The N2+ is pretty fabulous and reliable, and plays just about everything (barring DolbyVision).  But it depends on your needs, there's no one answer here...

@WoGGo I presume you've done this but asking that over at the CE forums would be the way to go...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2022-02-09, 03:09)bossanova808 Wrote: What does 'best' mean to you? 

I am using Odroid N2 in my living room, and an older Asus Chromebox in my bedroom. As you can imagine, I have 4K in living room and 1080p in bedroom.
So I am looking to upgrade the bedroom Chromebox to something newer/powerful for 4K. For some reason, I dont like Shield (perhaps its Android, not *nix), so I would prefer to get a *nix based box.

As you already mentioned above, is N2+ the best out there at the moment for this task ?
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
I've been running Coreelec on an Odroid N2+ 4GB for a year and a half now, and performance is fine, but I don't find CE to be all that reliable or stable, and I'm tired of having to unplug the Odroid when it freezes. Are there any drawbacks to replacing CE with Ubuntu or some other version of Linux and installing Kodi on it? Anyone have any other setups they'd recommend? I'd be down to try Android if that makes the most sense, but I'd prefer something not made by Google. The most important thing for me is the ability to play movies in HDR with Atmos, and I'd obviously like to keep things snappy in the UI (I'm not running any fancy skins or anything, if that matters).

I also have an aging Raspberry Pi Zero W running Homebridge and Pi Hole, and it'd be great if I could get rid of it and run those things plus Kodi on one device, but given how unreliable CE has been for me, it hasn't made sense to consolidate.
CoreELEC is solid. No freezes at all here.

I stream HDR, Atmos and/or DTS:X, 100GB+ size files on a daily basis without a single hiccup.I can even fast forward or rewind at 10 minute increments with no issues.

If you’re experiencing freezes, I’m going to assume you mean during playback. If’s that’s the case, the culprit is likely that you aren’t using an Advanced Settings XML file with the proper buffer settings.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
(2022-12-20, 23:12)Bluecase Wrote: I've been running Coreelec on an Odroid N2+ 4GB for a year and a half now, and performance is fine, but I don't find CE to be all that reliable or stable, and I'm tired of having to unplug the Odroid when it freezes.

Strange. I have N2 for several years and an N2+ for a year in daily use, both running CE latest versions and never had any freezes. I find both devices extremely reliable since I put them through all sorts of loads, from playing local local media to streaming services.
I presume there is something very wrong with your device hardware or setup... Did you ever try to find the cause or problem why your device freezes?
I too use (amongst others) N2 and N2+.
In my experience, they are _very_ reliable and literally never fail . They are the Rolls Royce amongst mediacentres if you ask me.
If you have freezing issue you might have faulty hardware or inferior power supply.
(2022-12-20, 23:12)Bluecase Wrote: I've been running Coreelec on an Odroid N2+ 4GB for a year and a half now, and performance is fine, but I don't find CE to be all that reliable or stable, and I'm tired of having to unplug the Odroid when it freezes. Are there any drawbacks to replacing CE with Ubuntu or some other version of Linux and installing Kodi on it? Anyone have any other setups they'd recommend? I'd be down to try Android if that makes the most sense, but I'd prefer something not made by Google. The most important thing for me is the ability to play movies in HDR with Atmos, and I'd obviously like to keep things snappy in the UI (I'm not running any fancy skins or anything, if that matters).

I also have an aging Raspberry Pi Zero W running Homebridge and Pi Hole, and it'd be great if I could get rid of it and run those things plus Kodi on one device, but given how unreliable CE has been for me, it hasn't made sense to consolidate.

I'll add another voice to the 'CoreElec IS reliable' group. If you are having issues with freezing etc. that suggests you may have an issue with hardware or power. What PSU are you using?  The N2+ is relatively power-hungry - I use ODroid's official UK PSU with my N2 (I don't have an N2+) and it's fine.

Are these freezes micro-stutters or are they total lock-ups that require a reboot?

Are you using eMMC or a Micro SD card?  If the latter - have you tried replacing the uSD card? (In some installs uSD cards have a finite life and fail in annoying ways).

A general Ubuntu install with Kodi will probably have no hardware video acceleration (I don't think the AMLogic stuff CE uses is in Mainline Linux?) - so you'll be left only able to play the stuff that can be decoded by the N2+ CPU in software.  Not sure what Android's state is on AMLogic.
I am using an Odroid N2 for a long time now (bought it shortly after launch) and besides some rare glitches at startup (messed up resolution or non-usable interface) I did not have any issues with CoreElec. Some of those issues are most likely caused by the fact that CoreElec is set to start when TV starts and I not always using CoreElec. I have went through a lot of versions of CoreElec since then. SD card is a good 64 GB one (most likely a good Samsung Evo Plus). My N2 with CoreElec plays everything from the network, it does not have any storage devices attached to it.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4