• 1(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
ODROID N2+ released replacing the original N2 with some upgraded specs, see HERE (click)

N2 CoreELEC setup TIPS found in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2822046

*** WARNING ***
Just be aware when ordering direct from HK in S.Korea - you only get a pathetic 4 weeks RMA (click) for a faulty N2.

Local resellers (click) would very likely offer better warranties.

Well 2019 is hotting up with a whole swag of ARM based Chipsets migrating to modern v4.9+ Linux Kernels.
The latest is the new ODROID N2 that looks like a wee beastie indeed for between USD$63 - 79 for the 2GB or 4GB model.

Click the picture or head over to the HardKernel ODROID N2 thread for lot of detail (click)

Hardware that stands out is HDMI 2.1 which I'm told will support dynamic HDR. There is also a DAC with on-board high quality 384Khz/32bit stereo audio line output. The ARM Mali GPU is a great Bifrost G52 (click)

Reasonably stable CoreELEC Kodi Leia distributions are already available for this wee beastie. Smile
Details over on the CoreELEC forums (click)

AML S922X includes the 9th Generation Advanced AMLogic TruLife Image Engine that can (depends on OS & Firmware):

• Support Dolby Vision (Optional), HDR10, HDR10+, HLG HDR and Prime HDR processing
• Motion compensated noise reduction and 3D digital noise reduction for random noise
• Block noise, mosquito noise, spatial noise, contour noise reduction
• Motion compensated and motion adaptive de-interlacer
• Edge interpolation with low angle protection and processing
• 3:2/2:2 pulldown and Video on Film (VOF) detection and processing
• Smart sharpness with SuperScaler technology including de-contouring, de-ring, LTI, CTI, de-jaggy, peaking
• Dynamic non-Linear contrast enhancement
• 3D LUTs with 17x17x17 nodes, provide 4913 different control points, which is competent for matching calibrated displays to a target colorspace
• High precision HSL color space-based color management with low saturation protection, independent luma/hue/saturation adjustment to achieve blue/green extension, fresh tone correction, and wider gamut for video
• 2 video planes and 3 graphics planes
• Independent HDR re-mapping of video and graphic layer

W. Big Grin

Quick crash course SSH login to CoreELEC Kodi:

Read the LibreELEC Wiki HERE (click)

IP address of N2 is found in the Kodi Settings > System Information Page.

then... say the Terminal App on a Mac...type...

Password is ---> coreelec

If a user wanted to install CE from microSDHC to a plug in eMMC flash module...
(do not Plug in eMMC module until instructed to do so)

Code:
installtoemmc

Configuring MINIX A2 lite remotes for ON / OFF via Infra Red:

Once you have SSH logged in - the Power Off configuration for the A2 lite remote is (copy/paste one line at a time only):

Code:
echo 'meson-ir * minix_neo' > /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg
reboot
The MINIX A2 lite Infra Red remote wake up code for the config.ini file is: (remember to remove the # symbol)

Code:
#   IR keycode
#
remotewakeup='0xe718fe01'
#
#   decode_type can be one of the following:
To Edit that file via a SSH login session:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /flash
nano /flash/config.ini
reboot
CTRL-O to save, CTRL-X to exit from Nano Text Editor

Having problems with missing Resolutions and Refresh Rates after booting ?
This can happen if the N2 starts up before the HDMI connected display, and an EDID handshake gets missed.

Turn TV on first and then Reboot N2, then you can capture valid Display capabilities....
Code:
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap
To remove:
Code:
rm /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap

HD audio passthrough inc. Atmos & also Multichannel 7.1 LPCM audio (for 192kHz FLAC / AAC):
In CoreELEC Kodi Settings > System > Audio, on the bottom left of screen select Advanced.

For Kodi - Audio output device: select > ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI Multi Ch PCM
Set the Kodi Audio channels to 5.1 or 7.1

Then in that same Audio configuration section,
Enable the Audio Passthrough options you need. Do NOT enable EAC3 transcoding.

HD Atmos is also enabled when you select Dolby TrueHD audio passthru.

Manually updating CoreELEC:
Manual .tar updating instructions for CoreELEC using SAMBA shares is here:
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/how-to-...eelec/1037

Heaven help us but need to run a Plex Server on CoreELEC:
It easy with this mini DIY (click)
W.

Its a AMLOGIC S922x soc i hope there will be better GPU drivers.
Really great news! I own 2 C2's and am very happy with them (but in need of HDR capabilities), hence .... :-) ;-) Nod Laugh
(2019-02-13, 17:49)wrxtasy Wrote: Reserved #1
How did you reserve it?
(2019-02-18, 19:31)Sholander Wrote: How did you reserve it? 
 lol, he's reserving the post (#2) so that info can be added to it at a later time. Not a device itself.
No need to reserve anything when you have a long association with HardKernel. Wink
The developer pre-production boards have started arriving this week into the hands of the CoreELEC developers and support work has commenced.

My N2 arrived this morning.

I'm really impressed with the design of the integrated, machined, metal bottom case/heatsink and the slide on moulded Lid.
Makes for a tidy looking package when all closed up.
Great stuff.

Feels more like a Mini PC than an AMLogic board.

Out of the box you have a quad-core ARM Cortex-A73 clocked at 1.8GHz and a dual-core Cortex-A53 @ 1.9GHz
Both CPU governors are default set to "Performance"
With the heatsink design I cannot see these being CPU - thermal throttled.

The onboard DAC should be interesting for media player usage.

The DAC is making N2 hard to resist. I could play anything at a high quality, I would not even need a receiver just for this feature (or I could just get a less smart receiver, but with good audio). Let the CoreElec builds flow like butter Big Grin
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2019-02-19, 11:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Makes for a tidy looking package when all closed up.
 pictures pls Wink
Hint Post #1 hit (click) if it was not already obvious Wink

scrolling to the bottom of the forum page helped Wink tks

I have read the new SoC will make life harder for LibreELEC/CoreELEC devels, I hope this will just be a matter of time!
I hope this gets Libreelec one day.
(2019-02-20, 19:40)lcapriotti Wrote: scrolling to the bottom of the forum page helped Wink tks

I have read the new SoC will make life harder for LibreELEC/CoreELEC devels, I hope this will just be a matter of time!

It's much easier this time around (vs AML S912) now we have actual ARM -->> AMLogic licensed Linux G52 GPU and Frame Buffer drivers Kodi can use.

The next hurdle is to see how much of a mess the (Android centric) AMLogic modded v4.9 Linux Kernel is in for Linux Kodi usage.

CoreELEC Kodi Progress is already under way HERE

Device with this specifications with CoreELEC (or LibreELEC) + RetroPie would be almost perfect setup for me.
This looks like a very interesting board imho.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4