• 3(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2019-05-22, 17:23)Sholander Wrote: Ability to watch NF in 1080p (SW decoding) and HBO-GO 1080p (HW decoding), or DVB-T2/S2 in 1080p for example, apart from more potent hardware such as 4xUSB 3.0, GB Ethernet... 
It's always fun to willy wave with hardware stats (and I'll want an S922X in the near future, just because), but I don't see anything there that makes the difference (for me) between $15 and $150ish.
I have 2 S905s that play anything I have (including 1080P DVB-S2) and browse through my libraries without breaking sweat.  If I stick libreelec on my laptop (i5, 16GB RAM, SSD) it looks and acts (for my setup) pretty much the same as coreelec on the S905s. 
Sometimes 'inferior hardware' is plenty.
(2019-05-22, 17:51)trogggy Wrote:
(2019-05-22, 17:23)Sholander Wrote: Ability to watch NF in 1080p (SW decoding) and HBO-GO 1080p (HW decoding), or DVB-T2/S2 in 1080p for example, apart from more potent hardware such as 4xUSB 3.0, GB Ethernet... 
It's always fun to willy wave with hardware stats (and I'll want an S922X in the near future, just because), but I don't see anything there that makes the difference (for me) between $15 and $150ish.
I have 2 S905s that play anything I have (including 1080P DVB-S2) and browse through my libraries without breaking sweat.  If I stick libreelec on my laptop (i5, 16GB RAM, SSD) it looks and acts (for my setup) pretty much the same as coreelec on the S905s. 
Sometimes 'inferior hardware' is plenty.  
Well, this is a hardware section and I write from my point of view, of course. To me Netflix and HBO-Go in 1080p are priorities, followed by proper UHD, HDR color mapping,  DD+ and Atmos...
And a hardware feature that I like most, you can have internal memory from 8GB to 128GB via detachable eMMC. This means that you cannot brick the device whatever you do with it. All that makes it a perfect partner to my costly LG Oled TV.
(2019-05-22, 18:07)Sholander Wrote: Well, I write from my point of view, of course. To me Netflix and HBO-Go in 1080p are priorities, followed by proper UHD, HDR color mapping,  DD+ and Atmos...
And a hardware feature that I like most, you can have internal memory from 8GB to 128GB via detachable eMMC. This means that you cannot brick the device whatever you do with it. All that makes it a perfect partner to my costly LG Oled TV. 
I don't think we're disagreeing.  You get the benefits so it's a sensible choice.
I won't benefit, my 'inferior' hardware will do just as good a job for me so I'd be daft to buy one. 

And yet I probably will (or at least some form of S922).
Yeah for sure it doesn't make sense to put a high end box on a "kitchen" TV.  I only have one TV and that's the one in my home theater system.  It's not a matter of money for me, it's just I only watch TV there.  I want high end equipment in my system so that's my perspective.

I did actually buy an S905X board to start, but I wasn't sure how Kodi would work out for me so I didn't want to spend a lot to try it.  It works great so I went and picked up the high end one, no regrets, really happy with it.
(2019-05-22, 18:24)CraigHB Wrote: Yeah for sure it doesn't make sense to put a high end box on a "kitchen" TV. 

Agree, for my "kitchen tv" I use X96 mini S905W box, which serves it well enough.
I have the Beelink GT-King coming, since it has been confirmed to have an UNlocked bootloader, hoping the devs at CoreELEC will support it.  Adamg assured me, that they would do their best to create ports for the third party Amlogic S922x boxes.
(2019-05-22, 18:24)CraigHB Wrote: Yeah for sure it doesn't make sense to put a high end box on a "kitchen" TV.  I only have one TV and that's the one in my home theater system.  It's not a matter of money for me, it's just I only watch TV there.  I want high end equipment in my system so that's my perspective.

I did actually buy an S905X board to start, but I wasn't sure how Kodi would work out for me so I didn't want to spend a lot to try it.  It works great so I went and picked up the high end one, no regrets, really happy with it.
If I had a high-end tv I'd want a cracking machine to get the most out of it too.  As it is the £12 S905X box is now sat under the tv working perfectly (tried coreelec and libreelec and they're both working amazingly well) and all an N2 would give me is a slightly snappier library. 
I still have an original pi running libreelec in my car - now that is slow!
I guess 'expensive' is in the eye of the beholder :-), i had a Intel NUC 7th gen with an i5 and 8GB of RAM, it cost me a fortune!, £450 all in after i bought the RAM and a decent SSD, i suffered thermal issues with it and the fan noise drove me mental (located in lounge) so i bought the Odroid N2 and in comparison its significantly cheaper (£130 all in for me), silent, and actually plays all my content BETTER than the NUC, so for me personally, the N2 was cheap and the performance in the Kodi UI is VERY close to the NUC.

Now for $15-$20 is just another ball game and i guess at that price point the N2 IS expensive :-). can i ask which make/model of s905 you went for?.
(2019-05-23, 17:13)binhex01 Wrote: Now for $15-$20 is just another ball game and i guess at that price point the N2 IS expensive :-). can i ask which make/model of s905 you went for?.
I guess that's for me.
I have a couple of Beelink S905's (mini mxiii's) that cost about £25 each in 2016 (16GB flash / 2GB ram). 
Just bought an S905x marked as 'T95N-MINI MX+' - 8GB flash, 1GB RAM. - £12 used from ebay.
So far so good with the new box, I've loaded up coreelec and libreelec leia, I've yet to come across an issue.  I'm still amazed at what these little boards can do.
To be fair my HTPCs were much better at keeping the house warm.
(2019-05-23, 17:31)trogggy Wrote:
(2019-05-23, 17:13)binhex01 Wrote: Now for $15-$20 is just another ball game and i guess at that price point the N2 IS expensive :-). can i ask which make/model of s905 you went for?.
I guess that's for me.
I have a couple of Beelink S905's (mini mxiii's) that cost about £25 each in 2016 (16GB flash / 2GB ram). 
Just bought an S905x marked as 'T95N-MINI MX+' - 8GB flash, 1GB RAM. - £12 used from ebay.
So far so good with the new box, I've loaded up coreelec and libreelec leia, I've yet to come across an issue.  I'm still amazed at what these little boards can do. 

yeah sorry it was for you :-), thats good to know, you never know i might need a cheap box in the near future for the kitchen, sounds like an ideal device for areas in the house where it might be knocked about and at that price point it cant be beat!.
That's pretty darn cheap, about 15 USD.  Wow, didn't the pound used to be almost two USD?  Anyway I started with a Le Potato which was like 30 USD.  I just ran it with an SD card and power supply I already had sitting around.  The N2 was about 135 USD all in after buying the additional stuff I needed or wanted.  Pretty big price difference but still not much money compared to what I spent on the TV and AVR.  They're actually getting old now, but they were expensive when I bought them.  Probably time to upgrade pretty soon, actually been browsing new models.
Is the new N2 can replace my good old Asus Chromebox? I need 4k, hdr, atmos, and de-interlacing 1080i h264 TV channels.
I can live with Netflix being 1080 as the TV probably will have some app installed on top of tizen/webos
(2019-05-25, 14:57)sh33p Wrote: Is the new N2 can replace my good old Asus Chromebox? I need 4k, hdr, atmos, and de-interlacing 1080i h264 TV channels.
I can live with Netflix being 1080 as the TV probably will have some app installed on top of tizen/webos
There's a thread for N2 testbuilds on the coreellec forum.  You'll find up-to-date feedback there.
Yes the CoreELEC forum is the place to find info on the N2, but S922X based boards and boxes other than the N2 are starting to pop up now.  Not sure if and when LibreELEC is going to support that SoC so right now CoreELEC is it.  They only support the N2 at this point, but I'm sure they'll support other S922X makes as they become more available.
(2019-05-23, 15:37)clarkss12 Wrote: I have the Beelink GT-King coming, since it has been confirmed to have an UNlocked bootloader, hoping the devs at CoreELEC will support it.  Adamg assured me, that they would do their best to create ports for the third party Amlogic S922x boxes.

Don't assume the mass marketed, new, Chinese sourced Android S922X or S905X2/Y2 devices will be supported this time around by CoreELEC.

If box vendors are unwilling to provide developer team sample devices and provide after sales support to those developer then limited CE resources will Not be provided to those vendors devices.

Beelink have already been approached and have been unwilling to provide the necessary developer devices.
Nor should developers have to go chasing vendors if those vendors want CE Kodi support.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4