• 6(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2019-07-26, 09:20)bym007 Wrote:
(2019-07-26, 09:16)tmihai20 Wrote: @bym007 if you plan to use the Android app, no, it will not do 1080p or 4K. There is an alternative though, there is a Kodi pluginthat works very well. I am using it in Kodi for Android. There is even an HBO GO plugin (for European countries).

I am not into Android. I am looking to get full flavour Kodi (using CE or LE). Does that do Netflix 4K using the addon ?

I doubt it because all devices running any flavour of Linux OS like CoreELEC or LibreELEC Kodi has to do CPU Software decoding when using that Addon.

And I doubt anything has the CPU ponies to do SW decoding of 4K video.

Suggest getting a cheap FireTV Stick 4K if you want 4K (HDR) Netflix. Using the actual Netflix App on a Netflix approved device is always preferable due to reliability concerns going forward.

(2019-07-26, 09:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-07-26, 09:20)bym007 Wrote:
(2019-07-26, 09:16)tmihai20 Wrote: @bym007 if you plan to use the Android app, no, it will not do 1080p or 4K. There is an alternative though, there is a Kodi pluginthat works very well. I am using it in Kodi for Android. There is even an HBO GO plugin (for European countries).

I am not into Android. I am looking to get full flavour Kodi (using CE or LE). Does that do Netflix 4K using the addon ?

I doubt it because all devices running any flavour of Linux OS like CoreELEC or LibreELEC Kodi has to do CPU Software decoding when using that Addon.

And I doubt anything has the CPU ponies to do SW decoding of 4K video.

Suggest getting a cheap FireTV Stick 4K if you want 4K (HDR) Netflix. Using the actual Netflix App on a Netflix approved device is always preferable due to reliability concerns going forward.
True true.

Makes sense to have an official App if one needs full 4K support.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
Is Kodi really using software decoding within an add-on? I would expect it to do GPU decoding just as it does for its local video. I do not have 4K subscription yet, but I will test as soon as I get my 4K TV.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2019-07-27, 14:47)tmihai20 Wrote: Is Kodi really using software decoding within an add-on? I would expect it to do GPU decoding just as it does for its local video. I do not have 4K subscription yet, but I will test as soon as I get my 4K TV.

AIUI the Kodi Netflix and/or (?) Amazon Prime Video add ons fall back on software decoding using a browser-intended plugin if the platform itself doesn't have the correct security level support installed at the OS level? (I don't think either approach gets you 4K though?)
Android Kodi devices with legit Widevine L1 keys baked into Android firmware can do up to 4K Kodi Netflix Addon, hardware video decoding.

Avoid Android Mecool devices for that due to their WV Keys being black banned by Google WV servers because of widespread abuse.

Hi @wrxtasy, just got my N2. Some questions on set-up...
  • Is a mSD card (same Samsung 32GB EVO I'm using in my S912 box) the best way to run CoreELEC on N2?
  • What is the SPI boot select switch? Is this how you switch between Android boot vs. CE, etc.?
  • Are there any configuration tweaks like w/RPi for N2?
  • Anything else I should do or know for optimal experience? Considering doing a dual Android TV / CE boot (not that I know how to at this point)
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2019-08-08, 17:09)hdmkv Wrote: Hi @wrxtasy, just got my N2. Some questions on set-up...
  • Is a mSD card (same Samsung 32GB EVO I'm using in my S912 box) the best way to run CoreELEC on N2?
  • What is the SPI boot select switch? Is this how you switch between Android boot vs. CE, etc.?
  • Are there any configuration tweaks like w/RPi for N2?
  • Anything else I should do or know for optimal experience? Considering doing a dual Android TV / CE boot (not that I know how to at this point)

Go to CoreElec forum as there you'll get best answers to your questions...

In my experience with N2 best and fastest way to run CE is from an eMMC card (detachable) module.
SPI switch selects between booting from internal Petitboot in SPI memory (with which you have various options) and booting from eMMC/uSD card.
With new version of Petitboot and switch in SPI position you can boot and run CE from USB flash drives, or any other dual boot combination, as CE on uSD and Android TV on eMMC. (Android (TV) can boot from uSD or eMMC, but not from USB...
Thanks. Wish there was a set-up guide in one place.
Setup guide for what; CE, Android (Pie or TV), Linux, Petitboot, dual boot, multi boot, installing different OS versions on a single eMMC module, or...?
For mSD set-up dual boot Android TV and CoreELEC.
You have two options: CE on uSD and Android (TV) on eMMC or vice versa. When uSD and eMMC are both inserted inserted N2 will boot from uSD. When uSD is not inserted it will boot from eMMC. To have dual boot with both cards inserted you have to flip SPI switch to SPI position and use Petitboot to chose which OS boots.

CoreElec Info and Install Guide

Android Pie (Tablet version)

Android TV
(2019-08-09, 14:55)Sholander Wrote: To have dual boot with both cards inserted you have to flip SPI switch to SPI position and use Petitboot to chose which OS boots.

Is it possible to have dual boot via a single microSD card that has been properly partitioned?
Dual boot to what? Two OS-es mounted on same uSD card? Don't know if that is possible...
It's possible to install CE and Linux on same eMMC card, and have then dual boot via SPI-Petitboot. (Android OS cannot be used for this)
Post deleted
Thanks @Sholander, is it possible to do mSD and a USB3.0 stick? And if so, would it be better faster to have Android TV on mSD and CE on USB?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4