Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-05-04, 08:25)wrxtasy Wrote: Once you start to get into high end Premium TV’s like my 2019 Panasonic GZ OLED, their Dynamic HDR picture processing of regular static metadata HDR material produces excellent Picture results as well. 

Some of this kind of processing, along with Dolby IQ, is kind of making a mockery of the whole PQ HDR concept isn't it? The whole, flawed, point of HDR10 and DV was to deliver identical images to those seen on the mastering display - down to totally matching the light output of each pixel. This is ridiculous if your viewing conditions aren't the same as those in the mastering suite (things like overall room light level, bias lighting - and the colour temperature of bias lighting - behind the display etc. can make a massive difference etc. Ambilight - don't get me started...)

I guess some displays may effectively generate their own Max/Average light level data for each frame by analysis, rather than being told via metadata, to improve tone mapping, but a lot of this processing is kind of an admission that PQ doesn't really work in a consumer scenario.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - by noggin - 2020-05-04, 10:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4