• 40(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-05-18, 12:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote: had a look at the Ugoos AM6 and looks like interesting android box with wifi and remote control + Bluetooth

I would not rely on Infra Red remotes for any AMLogic box, control results are usually poor.
Get a Wireless remote like the ultra reliable and popular MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote, which also includes an Air Mouse function that you definitely need for regular Android Tablet Apps.
I can consider myself lucky then: HDMI-CEC works great with CoreElec and the Remote of my Panasonic OLED-TV (Gen. 2019). The N2 turns on/off (to standby) when I power on/off the TV, almost fully function keys for Kodi control (missing one or two shortcuts). I found no manualy key config yet to get my dream setup. Also, when I turn off the N2 by the remote, the TV turns off too. Seldomly the N2 needs a seperate reboot after days or week when it turns on/off too often from standby, when some remote key functions fail. Toptop top Box, thanks to this Forum I decided to get the N2 from a local seller (2 years warranty). Thank you all!
Exact same setup here with a 2019 GZ Panasonic OLED and I get the same results.
CEC Control is even pretty snappy using Kodi.

I really like how a lot of the Panny TV remote’s buttons work with Kodi. Smile

(2020-05-19, 18:13)wrxtasy Wrote: HDMI CEC & ARC = a BiG Can of Worms. What works for one persons setup is completely stuffed for someone else.

Good luck with that CEC adventure because you need it !

I strongly suggest not using “Suspend” at all but have everything Power OFF / ON via CEC if you can get it to work.
I power the N2 - OFF / ON via Infra Red which CEC powers up the TV and that seems to power up the AVR.

N2 HDMI goes direct into the AVR.

Kodi GUI settings not sticking, I suggest you rename Kodi GUI file and reconfigure settings from scratch..
Code:
systemctl stop kodi
mv .kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml .kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml.temp
reboot
Good feedback!  I'll pursue that in the following order:
  1. Try having CEC make the N2 power off instead of suspend
  2. Resetting GUI settings using the provided method.  Question: will I have to reconfigure my shares and library?
  3. Having my Harmony setup do on/off via IR.  Is there a guide or reference for this?
  4. If all else fails, I could disable CEC on the N2.  Is there a way to do that via config file that is more durable?
Thank you!
(2020-05-19, 19:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Exact same setup here with a 2019 GZ Panasonic OLED and I get the same results.

Thanks to your fantastic 4K-HDR10 State of Play Thread, I made my decision. thanks mate!

btw: about that I guess you could update these

Quote:HDR10+ content will be output as regular HDR10, until upstream Kernel bug fixes surface.

HDR10+ works since CE 9.2.2. I watched HDR10+ Alien and Bohemian Rapsody.

Quote:Audio passthru inc. HD, Atmos, DTS:X and Multichannel 24bit/192kHz LPCM works just fine.

DTS-HD-Master-Audio doesn't work when setting CE 9.2.2 to "Passthrough on" my TV. Is that normal? Audio is set up to "ALSA:AML-Augesound HDMI Multi Ch PCM" direct to TV. Disturbing Strange noise only. "Passthrough off" solves that.
(2020-05-19, 19:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Exact same setup here with a 2019 GZ Panasonic OLED and I get the same results.

Do you use the Minix or the Panny remote? I too have a Minix with my N2 but hate using two remotes, things are packed up because we just moved
but hoping to use CEC with the one remote for my TCL Roku TV. Did some testing and it seemed to work pretty good.
(2020-05-19, 20:10)NRG-R9T Wrote: Thanks to your fantastic 4K-HDR10 State of Play Thread, I made my decision. thanks mate!

btw: about that I guess you could update these

Quote:HDR10+ content will be output as regular HDR10, until upstream Kernel bug fixes surface.

Cheers fixed !

Quote:DTS-HD-Master-Audio doesn't work when setting CE 9.2.2 to "Passthrough on" my TV. Is that normal? Audio is set up to "ALSA:AML-Augesound HDMI Multi Ch PCM" direct to TV. Disturbing Strange noise only. "Passthrough off" solves that.

Panasonic TV’s do not support DTS audio anything only Dolby flavours or PCM.

Hi guys,
I just got my N2 (Coreelec) and the Minix Neo A2 Lite remote and I am stuck with the configuration. I did the steps from the 2nd post for the remote and power on works, but power off doesn't.

To power off I have to use the Kodi menu thingy, which for some reason turns off my TV (Samsung) as well and I can't seem to disable CEC in Coreelec, the setting re-enables after every boot.

Also is there an overview what each button on the remote does? Trial and error only got me so far in figuring out the buttons.

i would appreciate it if anyone can help and share tips with the setup.
(2020-05-20, 06:47)stuoningur Wrote: Hi guys,
I just got my N2 (Coreelec) and the Minix Neo A2 Lite remote and I am stuck with the configuration. I did the steps from the 2nd post for the remote and power on works, but power off doesn't.

I would not use any CE nightlife’s whilst trying to troubleshoot. Stable V9.2.2 only.

Try Kodi Settings > CoreELEC > Hardware > Power > IR Remote Power Code > Minix

For CEC also go into Kodi Settings > Input > Peripherals > CEC Adapter

No overview, but the Minix remote, middle Left Arrow Button does not work.

I suggest installing Kodi’s Keymap Editor and then go into....

Edit > Fullscreen Video > Playback > Stop ...

Remap that to the Back button on Minix remote. Remember to Save.

(2020-05-20, 07:43)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-20, 06:47)stuoningur Wrote: Hi guys,

I would not use any CE nightlife’s whilst trying to troubleshoot. Stable V9.2.2 only.

Try Kodi Settings > CoreELEC > Hardware > Power > IR Remote Power Code > Minix

For CEC also go into Kodi Settings > Input > Peripherals > CEC Adapter

No overview, but the Minix remote, middle Left Arrow Button does not work.

I suggest installing Kodi’s Keymap Editor and then go into....

Edit > Fullscreen Video > Playback > Stop ...

Remap that to the Back button on Minix remote. Remember to Save. 
Thanks for the quick reply!

I am on the latest stable. Disabling CEC in the Input settings worked, since there were options for it in Coreelec -> Hardware I didn't bothered to check further!

I've set the IR remote power code to Minix already and together with the info in the 2nd post power on works fine, power off still a no go.
(2020-05-18, 12:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-18, 09:33)madmax2 Wrote: Are you saying the Ugoos AM6 has better specs, Android OS Firmware and an easier Dual Boot Android / CoreELEC setup or the N2 has?
So they both got the same chipset

I am saying it has better Android Firmware, and an easier Dual Boot setup.
Specs are virtually the same except WiFi and BT included. ODROID N2 has more USB3 ports.
CoreELEC Kodi will be virtually identical N2 vs AM6.

Quote:I had a look at the Ugoos AM6 and looks like interesting android box with wifi and remote control + Bluetooth

I would not rely on Infra Red remotes for any AMLogic box, control results are usually poor.
Get a Wireless remote like the ultra reliable and popular MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote, which also includes an Air Mouse function that you definitely need for regular Android Tablet Apps.

Quote:but is there any reason to get the N2 or you can do the same thing on either devices?

It’s much easier to change OS images on the ODROID N2 simply by flashing eMMC or microSDHC.
OTG Cables and a PC is usually required to reflash internal eMMC on Android OS type boxes.

@wrxtasy

Can I ask what about the Android firmware is better on ugoos besides the way it dual boots. Is the os more stable?

On the coreelec forums one of the devs looked at the size of the CE partition on the ugoos dual boot partition and recommended against it because it was different than the official version.

I think that was more from support perspective, they recommended their dual boot method instead.
(2020-05-20, 04:17)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:DTS-HD-Master-Audio doesn't work when setting CE 9.2.2 to "Passthrough on" my TV. Is that normal? Audio is set up to "ALSA:AML-Augesound HDMI Multi Ch PCM" direct to TV. Disturbing Strange noise only. "Passthrough off" solves that.

Panasonic TV’s do not support DTS audio anything only Dolby flavours or PCM. 

DTS 5.1 works - just tested. And yes: by passthrough and DTS capable Receiver enabled in Kodi. Wink
(2020-05-20, 16:28)lightsout Wrote: @wrxtasy

Can I ask what about the Android firmware is better on ugoos besides the way it dual boots. Is the os more stable?

On the coreelec forums one of the devs looked at the size of the CE partition on the ugoos dual boot partition and recommended against it because it was different than the official version.

I think that was more from support perspective, they recommended their dual boot method instead.

It's my understanding if you use Petitboot (Dual Boot) on the ODROID N2 you lose a bunch of CoreELEC (bug busted) HDMI CEC functionality.
Petitboot is pretty clunky from an end user viewpoint with basic white text options, displayed on black screen.

However N2 - Petitboot is Flexible, you can even Triple boot-->> Linux (USB3), Android (eMMC), CoreELEC (microSDHC) etc...

All existing Android AMLogic devices even without Dual boot specific Firmware, can already smoothly Dual boot with Android on internal eMMC and CoreELEC Kodi on an external microSDHC. Ugoos can do that already as well without new, specific Dual Boot Firmware.
You simply Reboot the device to Flip/Flop between the two different OS's - AND - you retain HDMI CEC functionality.

Ugoos have better - Tablet Android OS - Firmware (click) vs anyone else because they have:

- Android Kodi auto Frame Rate Switching/Matching
- Android Kodi HD audio passthrough
- Android Multichannel LPCM audio support
- a Root switch
- Inbuilt Android SMB and NFS file server.
- gamepad user configurability via Android settings.
- and a bunch more....

There is none of that with any Android OS release on the ODROID N2...

In the end it depends what you specifically want...

(2020-05-21, 06:06)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-20, 16:28)lightsout Wrote: @wrxtasy

It's my understanding if you use Petitboot (Dual Boot) on the ODROID N2 you lose a bunch of CoreELEC (bug busted) HDMI CEC functionality.
Petitboot is pretty clunky from an end user viewpoint with basic white text options, displayed on black screen.

However N2 - Petitboot is Flexible, you can even Triple boot-->> Linux (USB3), Android (eMMC), CoreELEC (microSDHC) etc...

All existing Android AMLogic devices even without Dual boot specific Firmware, can already smoothly Dual boot with Android on internal eMMC and CoreELEC Kodi on an external microSDHC. Ugoos can do that already as well without new, specific Dual Boot Firmware.
You simply Reboot the device to Flip/Flop between the two different OS's - AND - you retain HDMI CEC functionality.

Ugoos have better - Tablet Android OS - Firmware (click) vs anyone else because they have:

- Android Kodi auto Frame Rate Switching/Matching
- Android Kodi HD audio passthrough
- Android Multichannel LPCM audio support
- a Root switch
- Inbuilt Android SMB and NFS file server.
- gamepad user configurability via Android settings.
- and a bunch more....

There is none of that with any Android OS release on the ODROID N2...

In the end it depends what you specifically want...

Thanks man yeah that sounds pretty nice. I didn't realize CEC gets broken with CE. But I share the same thoughts about petiboot, definitely not something I will try to get the wife and kids to use.

The ugoos do sounds pretty polished, although I didn't realize you could dual boot on those simply by rebooting. I had asked over at freaktab how to boot off the SD card and was told you needed to perform a command in the Android terminal.
(2020-05-21, 16:04)lightsout Wrote: Thanks man yeah that sounds pretty nice. I didn't realize CEC gets broken with CE.

CEC gets broken on CE only if you boot N2 via SPI/Petitboot. With normal boot CEC works OK...
Hey guys two quick questions:

Are any settings for the best HDR experience needed with coreelec or are the defaults already correct?

With the Minix Neo A2 I often have to press multiple times buttons for it to register, does the remote go to sleep or something? Is there anything I can do to improve it?
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4