• 48(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
Anyone know if the N2 or N2+ would support H266 later on when it gets released?
or we need to buy a new device again?
(2020-07-18, 06:55)madmax2 Wrote: Anyone know if the N2 or N2+ would support H266 later on when it gets released?
or we need to buy a new device again?

A new AML chipset device would be needed, there is not even any current released AML Chipsets that support H/W decoding of AV1.
It’s likely 720p (maybe 1080p) H266/VVC would be able to be SW decode in future years on the N2+

Random question: can the N2 w/CoreELEC 9.2.3 transcode DTS (including DTS HD and DTS HD MA) to 5.1 LPCM on the fly?  If so, what settings would make that possible?

Reason I'm asking is that I may jettison of beloved AVR in favor of a Sonos Arc setup.  The Arc accepts DD passthrough (all the way up to Atmos) but not DTS.  It will eventually support multichannel PCM, so that seems like the support path for all DTS content.

Thank you!
(2020-07-28, 00:05)grizzledyoungman Wrote: Random question: can the N2 w/CoreELEC 9.2.3 transcode DTS (including DTS HD and DTS HD MA) to 5.1 LPCM on the fly?  If so, what settings would make that possible?

The N2 running CoreELEC does a HDMI handshake on boot up and queries both TV display modes available and Audio capabilities from and connected Audio receiver.

In CE Kodi you simply select Multi Ch PCM for audio output, Plus the number of audio channels, and in the passthru section the audio Capabilities your receiver supports.
Every audio format not supported by the audio receiver is then decoded to LPCM.

It’s all pretty seamless once setup. Smile

I recall this had been asked and answered many times: are there any differences between the 2GB vs 4GB version? Using CE, and only as a Kodi device (everything over LAN) from server? 
I will probably get a Panasonic TX-65GX800 TV soon, it has all the HDR options. I think the N2 will be the best option? I watch DVB-C live tv using a backend TVHeadend server, so Kodi deinterlacing is important too. 
Last question: should I get a 8/16GB eMMC card or stick with a better mSD card?
(2020-07-28, 11:48)gurabli Wrote: I recall this had been asked and answered many times: are there any differences between the 2GB vs 4GB version? Using CE, and only as a Kodi device (everything over LAN) from server?
If you were using the N2 for server or Android OS duties then I would get the 4GB version.

For the lean mean Linux based CoreELEC OS - 2GB RAM is plenty.

Quote:I will probably get a Panasonic TX-65GX800 TV soon,
It will work really well with modern Panny TV's - especially HDMI CEC and HDR10+ (I have a 2019 GZ Panny OLED)

Quote:I watch DVB-C live tv using a backend TVHeadend server, so Kodi deinterlacing is important too. 
It's all good if you use CoreELEC

Quote:Last question: should I get a 8/16GB eMMC card or stick with a better mSD card?
16GB eMMC has quicker performance.
Especially for Bootup, Kodi Metadata scraping, Updating and .tar CE Kodi backups and restoration.

W.

(2020-07-28, 12:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-07-28, 11:48)gurabli Wrote: I recall this had been asked and answered many times: are there any differences between the 2GB vs 4GB version? Using CE, and only as a Kodi device (everything over LAN) from server?
If you were using the N2 for server or Android OS duties then I would get the 4GB version.

It will work really well with modern Panny TV's - especially HDMI CEC and HDR10+ (I have a 2019 GZ Panny OLED)
Quote:I watch DVB-C live tv using a backend TVHeadend server, so Kodi deinterlacing is important too. 
Quote:Last question: should I get a 8/16GB eMMC card or stick with a better mSD card?
Especially for Bootup, Kodi Metadata scraping, Updating and .tar CE Kodi backups and restoration.

W.
Thanks! That pretty much covers everyting. I'm using now a C2 for few years on a Panasonic plasma (1080p) and it works perfectly.
I think I will go with the 2GB version. If I'm correct, there is no reason to use Android instead of CE? Everything I need is in CE for movies, music, live tv. Using Android I would see lower picture quality, especially for Live TV, not?
eMMC: I usually leave the player on all the time, so bootup isn't really an issue for me, just as updating, backups, etc. But real life functioning, like browsing the menu, etc? I use PlexKodiConnect and the media library is on a fast backend PMS. 

Good to hear that Panny is a good choice. I know the GX800 is LED, not OLED, but for that price and looking at the reviews, it is a best buy still.
(2020-07-28, 12:49)gurabli Wrote:
(2020-07-28, 12:20)wrxtasy Wrote:

W.
Thanks! That pretty much covers everyting. I'm using now a C2 for few years on a Panasonic plasma (1080p) and it works perfectly.
I think I will go with the 2GB version. If I'm correct, there is no reason to use Android instead of CE? Everything I need is in CE for movies, music, live tv. Using Android I would see lower picture quality, especially for Live TV, not?

Deinterlacing does not work properly (especially h264) on AMLogic devices running Android Kodi Leia or virtually all Android Apps for that matter.
Stick with CoreELEC. Smile

(2020-07-28, 03:39)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-07-28, 00:05)grizzledyoungman Wrote: Random question: can the N2 w/CoreELEC 9.2.3 transcode DTS (including DTS HD and DTS HD MA) to 5.1 LPCM on the fly?  If so, what settings would make that possible?
It’s all pretty seamless once setup. Smile
Indeed!  Tested it last night.  The resampling/decoding quality was far better than I expected, too.  One the Sonos Arc and my LG C9 supports multichannel LPCM on eARC, I'll be good to go Smile
CAUTION all CoreElec users, read this post carefully to not damage your new N2+  board:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=301273#p301273
(2020-07-30, 17:13)Sholander Wrote: CAUTION all CoreElec users, read this post carefully to not damage your new N2+  board:

People need to be be particularly careful because HardKernel have a lousy warranty last time I checked (if you bought from them).  If you bought in Europe/UK from a European/UK retailer you may be better covered.
I just can't get an Odroid N2 2GB (Coreelec edtion or not) anywhere in EU. Sad
Can I buy the C4 instead? Is there something that the N2 is better than C4?
(2020-08-01, 12:13)gurabli Wrote: I just can't get an Odroid N2 2GB (Coreelec edtion or not) anywhere in EU. Sad
Can I buy the C4 instead? Is there something that the N2 is better than C4?

Here it is (Germany)
Vero 4k+ - Apple TV 4k - Odroid N2 | Yamaha RX-V483 | Sony 55XE9305 | Synology DS916+
(2020-07-30, 22:58)noggin Wrote:
(2020-07-30, 17:13)Sholander Wrote: CAUTION all CoreElec users, read this post carefully to not damage your new N2+  board:

People need to be be particularly careful because HardKernel have a lousy warranty last time I checked (if you bought from them).  If you bought in Europe/UK from a European/UK retailer you may be better covered.
what is the purpose of usbpower option in boot.ini ?

yeah...shit 4 weeks warranty does not give comfort in buying it from them..
never seen such a short warranty for a pretty expensive hardware..

too bad right now there is not much competition
and the pi 4 is just not as powerful and overheats..
(2020-08-02, 17:04)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-07-30, 22:58)noggin Wrote:

what is the purpose of usbpower option in boot.ini ?

See HERE (click)

This is the Primary reason why developer boards are sent out to various parties to pick up such issues.

The usbpower option has been removed (click) from boot.ini anyway with the Release Candidate - CE v9.2.4 - so there is NO chance of N2+ users causing damage.

• 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4