• 55(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-10-31, 20:53)Sholander Wrote:
(2020-10-30, 22:47)ggp759 Wrote: Thanks very much for this. I have the option of getting the n2+ either with microSD of eMMC? Which one is the best option? Especially if you want to make a fresh install of CoreElec? If you ge the eMMC you can install Corelelec by using a bootable usb? Thanks alot for all the help.

Get it with 32G eMMC. You can install CoreElec on uSD card and transfer that installation to eMMC.
You can also install CoreElec to an USB flash drive, then boot this USB using SPI/Petitboot, and then transfer USB installation to eMMC.

Although it's safer and more convenient to buy USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer, and then burn the CE image directly to eMMC.
A cheaper solution is to buy eMMC Module Reader Board for OS upgrade plug it in a cheap uSD to USB converter and burn image on any PC
Or another method, you can use the mentioned uSD to USB converter to burn CE image on a uSD card via a USB port on any PC, then install CE on N2+ using this uSD card and after the installation is finished, transfer it to eMMC...

If you were to have an operating system on the eMMC and CoreElec on microSD, would you recommend option 2 on your post?
Hello,
I hope i'm posting in the right thread...
I've been running into some problems with Coreelec in Odroid N2+... Everything was working as a charm until yesterday (i honestly didn't change a thing).
Files (h264 1080p) that used to play without any issue are now strugling to play smoothly. Frame drops, random jumps in time, I've even saw the file reaching a negative timestamp  Confused
Any help would be appreciated since i'm not very familiar with coreelec logfiles.

I've tried to update do Kodi Matrix but the issue remained, so I've downgraded back to 9.2.5... I've connected a laptop to the ethernet cable and was returning 1000Mbit and playing the same files without issue  Sad

System log output

Crash log output

CoreELEC Debug Information
(2021-01-31, 15:16)hackno Wrote: Hello,
I hope i'm posting in the right thread...
I've been running into some problems with Coreelec in Odroid N2+... Everything was working as a charm until yesterday (i honestly didn't change a thing).
Files (h264 1080p) that used to play without any issue are now strugling to play smoothly. Frame drops, random jumps in time, I've even saw the file reaching a negative timestamp  Confused
Any help would be appreciated since i'm not very familiar with coreelec logfiles.

I've tried to update do Kodi Matrix but the issue remained, so I've downgraded back to 9.2.5... I've connected a laptop to the ethernet cable and was returning 1000Mbit and playing the same files without issue  Sad

System log output

Crash log output

CoreELEC Debug Information
You should post this in the CoreELEC forum,. You're in more than the wrong thread, you're in the wrong forum.😃
So, it's time to replace my 10 year old plasma tv with something OLED, and upgrade my rpi4 running Libreelec.

This on paper looks to be the best choice for Kodi, but I'm confused about HDR options. The LG tvs don't support HDR+ and the N2+ seems unlikely to ever support Dolby Vision. Am I looking at the wrong hardware to get the best picture when watching media files?
I would suppose the LG supports regular HDR10 which the N2 does output properly?
(2021-03-10, 12:52)sausageman Wrote: So, it's time to replace my 10 year old plasma tv with something OLED, and upgrade my rpi4 running Libreelec.

This on paper looks to be the best choice for Kodi, but I'm confused about HDR options. The LG tvs don't support HDR+ and the N2+ seems unlikely to ever support Dolby Vision. Am I looking at the wrong hardware to get the best picture when watching media files?

It's going to be tricky - Dolby Vision sources outside of real UHD Blu-ray and DRM-ed streaming services are complicated outside of demo files.  There are solutions that let you create a kind of 'pseudo DV' rip from DV UHD BDs - but AIUI they discard the second DV enhancement layer (not always present on UHD BDs) and only add the DV RPU Metadata to the HDR10 base layer (so you get an HDR10 stream with DV metadata - but not a full DV file if there was a significant enhancement layer).  This embedded metadata can improve things - but is not perfect - and the resulting file isn't completely DV-compliant (single layer DV streams shouldn't really be in HDR10 YCbCr format AIUI). Playback of this content is limited to a very small number of platforms (and only in certain containers at the moment).  It's a pretty niche area.

HDR10+ is more widely supported in Kodi platform terms AIUI - but because it's Samsung's 'sort of' rival to DV (it's not as clever as DV - but doesn't require lots of DV licensing to be paid to Dolby...) other manufacturer's like LG seem less keen to support it.  There may also be less HDR10+ content around than DV (though I think you can do HDR10, HDR10+ and DV tri-standard UHD BDs).  HDR10+ is a more open standard than DV - so is likely to be better supported in Kodi (I think some platforms already support it reasonably well) and it can be ripped I believe.

To be honest I'd concentrate on HDR10 support (and HLG in some territories) in Kodi as for many users that's 'good enough',  though you don't get 'scene-by-scene' display optimisation based on metadata - some displays kind of try to implement this themselves increasingly by analysing the incoming video directly (rather than relying on metadata).  You'll still have DV support for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+ potentially (either via something like an Apple TV 4K or internal apps)
(2021-03-10, 14:15)noggin Wrote:
(2021-03-10, 12:52)sausageman Wrote: So, it's time to replace my 10 year old plasma tv with something OLED, and upgrade my rpi4 running Libreelec.

It's going to be tricky - Dolby Vision sources outside of real UHD Blu-ray and DRM-ed streaming services are complicated outside of demo files.  There are solutions that let you create a kind of 'pseudo DV' rip from DV UHD BDs - but AIUI they discard the second DV enhancement layer (not always present on UHD BDs) and only add the DV RPU Metadata to the HDR10 base layer (so you get an HDR10 stream with DV metadata - but not a full DV file if there was a significant enhancement layer).  This embedded metadata can improve things - but is not perfect - and the resulting file isn't completely DV-compliant (single layer DV streams shouldn't really be in HDR10 YCbCr format AIUI). Playback of this content is limited to a very small number of platforms (and only in certain containers at the moment).  It's a pretty niche area.

HDR10+ is more widely supported in Kodi platform terms AIUI - but because it's Samsung's 'sort of' rival to DV (it's not as clever as DV - but doesn't require lots of DV licensing to be paid to Dolby...) other manufacturer's like LG seem less keen to support it.  There may also be less HDR10+ content around than DV (though I think you can do HDR10, HDR10+ and DV tri-standard UHD BDs).  HDR10+ is a more open standard than DV - so is likely to be better supported in Kodi (I think some platforms already support it reasonably well) and it can be ripped I believe.

To be honest I'd concentrate on HDR10 support (and HLG in some territories) in Kodi as for many users that's 'good enough',  though you don't get 'scene-by-scene' display optimisation based on metadata - some displays kind of try to implement this themselves increasingly by analysing the incoming video directly (rather than relying on metadata).  You'll still have DV support for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+ potentially (either via something like an Apple TV 4K or internal apps)
Very thorough and helpful answer, thank you Smile
Hello, I'm wondering if Odroid N2+ is a right choice for my next build. Please tell me, in order to take advantage of hevc 10bit 4k hardware decoding, what OS should I be running? Can it be an Android or is CoreELEC the only choice? To be honest, I really would like to have a web browser and Kodi running, like I do it now on my x86 htpc.
(2021-03-18, 10:56)ebol Wrote: Hello, I'm wondering if Odroid N2+ is a right choice for my next build. Please tell me, in order to take advantage of hevc 10bit 4k hardware decoding, what OS should I be running? Can it be an Android or is CoreELEC the only choice? To be honest, I really would like to have a web browser and Kodi running, like I do it now on my x86 htpc.

CoreElec definitely has the better and more robust audio and video performance - though I think 10-bit HDR HEVC paths on both OSs are OK.  Not sure what the state of other elements - deinterlacing, frame rate switching, gamut switching and HD Audio passthrough and PCM 5.1/7.1 output are on Android (they are all pretty solid in CoreElec)
(2021-03-18, 10:56)ebol Wrote: Hello, I'm wondering if Odroid N2+ is a right choice for my next build. Please tell me, in order to take advantage of hevc 10bit 4k hardware decoding, what OS should I be running? Can it be an Android or is CoreELEC the only choice? To be honest, I really would like to have a web browser and Kodi running, like I do it now on my x86 htpc.

You can have both, CE and Android, installed on a single eMMC in a dual boot configuration, and choose which to run as needed, since CE does not have a web browser.
(2021-03-18, 10:57)noggin Wrote: CoreElec definitely has the better and more robust audio and video performance - though I think 10-bit HDR HEVC paths on both OSs are OK.  Not sure what the state of other elements - deinterlacing, frame rate switching, gamut switching and HD Audio passthrough and PCM 5.1/7.1 output are on Android (they are all pretty solid in CoreElec)
Hmm, well you're not saying no, so that's a start. I wonder If anyone uses the board like this. 
Sholander Wrote: You can have both, CE and Android, installed on a single eMMC in a dual boot configuration, and choose which to run as needed, since CE does not have a web browser.
Yes I'm aware of the dual boot setup, but its not exactly jumping from Kodi to browser and back, at least I can't imagine it being reasonably fast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not possible to have both of the systems "running" at the same time? By running I mean one of them sleeping and other one active?
(2021-03-18, 16:17)ebol Wrote: Yes I'm aware of the dual boot setup, but its not exactly jumping from Kodi to browser and back, at least I can't imagine it being reasonably fast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not possible to have both of the systems "running" at the same time? By running I mean one of them sleeping and other one active?

No, it's not possible to have them both running that way; must boot to one and reboot to other...

What's about LibreElec ? It has Chrome built-in with Kodi 19
BTW, boxes with S905X4 AV1 hardware decoding  come to market
(2021-03-21, 11:59)nsnhd Wrote: What's about LibreElec ? It has Chrome built-in with Kodi 19

It does?  I was under the impression that there is still a long way to go, before the  CEF based addon is ready. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into that  Smile
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4