• 5(current)
v18 Kodi 18 (and RC 18.1) Video Stuttering issues [Android 6 / Amlogic S905X]
Can anyone help me ? I have a Fire TV Gen2 device, I used to use Kodi 17.6 but just updated to 18.1 and I am having the same issues, 50% of my archive is SD AVI, etc, and I find those are stuttering like dropped frames, really annoying. Newer stuff such as x264 is fine. This never happened on 17.6 so I am stumped what to do. Can anyone give me a laymans answer of how I can fix this on a Fire TV device ? Thanks !!
(2019-03-21, 23:31)starkman Wrote:
(2019-03-21, 06:38)Fazz1977 Wrote:
(2019-03-16, 11:01)starkman Wrote:  I did not solve it.
In my case I think it's the crappy Android firmware of my box to blame.
I resorted to CoreElec (on a SD) and Kodi now runs smoothly without issues.

https://coreelec.org/  
 I've just put the CoreElec ISO and dtb on a flash drive here at work, and will test on my x96 s905x when I get home. I did reinstall 17.6 locally yesterday (backup wouldn't go backwards so rebuilding media database... fun times), so I'll see how CoreElec goes from flash drive first.  
 You will love the smoothness of CoreElec.
Make sure you follow the guide regarding the remote files ( check here: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/coreele...-files/363 ) and generally have a look at the CoreElec forums for tips and help.
I have also rolled back to Kodi 17.6 on Android (I had kept a backup before the update to 18.x). So I have dual boot, but to be honest, Kodi Leia on CoreElec is so smooth that I don't even remember when was the last time I used Kodi on Android after that. 
Thanks for that resource, I'll get those remote files happening when I fire up CoreElec later this week (I've been out of state since last week... flew in last night).
(2019-03-16, 11:01)starkman Wrote: In my case I think it's the crappy Android firmware of my box to blame.

This has nothing to do with crappy Android firmwares, on the same devices the streams play with Kodi 17.6 problem-free and fluently.
(2019-03-27, 13:17)rainman74 Wrote:
(2019-03-16, 11:01)starkman Wrote: In my case I think it's the crappy Android firmware of my box to blame.

This has nothing to do with crappy Android firmwares, on the same devices the streams play with Kodi 17.6 problem-free and fluently. 
If you read my posts you'll see that I'm stating the same thing. 17.6 plays nice with my box. With Leia, on the other hand, I never had any luck, no matter what I tried ( @stevieland58 offered me huge help, helped me test things - I think he managed to run Leia smoothly on one of his 905x boxes - in my case I had no success). As far as I know Leia handles video differently (HW acceleration) while 17.x uses software decoding, but even with the "alternative" version of LEIA (which enable the said switches) the issues are still visible. Anyway, I don't know what's going on and Leia cannot run smoothly on my android box, but with CoreElec (Leia) everything seems fine.
To fix the stuttering for older SD contents in the standard Kodi build, you can also use the new decoderfilter.xml. Here you can set MPEG2 and MPEG4 MediaCodes to be used with HD content or higher.

Example on my Sony Bravia TV ([userdata]/decoderfilter.xml):
Code:

<decoderfilter>
    <filter>
        <name>OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.MPEG2</name>
        <allowed>true</allowed>
        <stills-allowed>true</stills-allowed>
        <dvd-allowed>true</dvd-allowed>
        <min-height>600</min-height>
    </filter>
    <filter>
        <name>OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.MPEG4</name>
        <allowed>true</allowed>
    </filter>
    <filter>
        <name>OMX.google.mpeg2.decoder</name>
        <allowed>true</allowed>
    </filter>
    <filter>
        <name>OMX.google.mpeg4.decoder</name>
        <allowed>true</allowed>
    </filter>
</decoderfilter>

Note: Kodi also writes all available codecs on the device to this file if it exists. There you can check if you have set the right ones.
@rainman74 are you sure you need to enable 2 mpeg decoders and 2 mpeg 4 decoders?
compared to my nvidia shield (there the video is working fine), i have omx.nvidia.mp4 and omx.google.mpeg4 but on my default xml settings the google decoder is disabled and only omx.nvidia are enabled. this would let me believe that only one decoder is needed to get it working.
i havent tested on my sony tv, so thats why i am asking...maybe 2 decoders could make trouble?
(2019-04-01, 22:06)m2k1980 Wrote: @rainman74 are you sure you need to enable 2 mpeg decoders and 2 mpeg 4 decoders?
compared to my nvidia shield (there the video is working fine), i have omx.nvidia.mp4 and omx.google.mpeg4 but on my default xml settings the google decoder is disabled and only omx.nvidia are enabled. this would let me believe that only one decoder is needed to get it working.
i havent tested on my sony tv, so thats why i am asking...maybe 2 decoders could make trouble?
I left all four decoders activated by default, but only set the minimum height to 600px for all of them. This means that all videos in SD quality can't use them and will be played back with the software decoder, which has no stuttering effects.

Videos with a minimum height of 600 pixels or more can use the hardware decoders.
(2019-04-01, 22:41)rainman74 Wrote:
(2019-04-01, 22:06)m2k1980 Wrote: @rainman74 are you sure you need to enable 2 mpeg decoders and 2 mpeg 4 decoders?
I left all four decoders activated by default, but only set the minimum height to 600px for all of them. This means that all videos in SD quality can't use them and will be played back with the software decoder, which has no stuttering effects.

Videos with a minimum height of 600 pixels or more can use the hardware decoders. 

on my sony tv, all google decoders are disabled in this file and on my shield too. that is why i was asking about enabling it
(2019-04-01, 22:50)m2k1980 Wrote:
(2019-04-01, 22:41)rainman74 Wrote:

on my sony tv, all google decoders are disabled in this file and on my shield too. that is why i was asking about enabling it 
Strange that they're all disabled, but you can either leave that or enable them. The only important thing is that you set the minimum height for all four of them.
(2019-04-01, 22:58)rainman74 Wrote:
(2019-04-01, 22:50)m2k1980 Wrote:
(2019-04-01, 22:41)rainman74 Wrote: I left all four decoders activated by default, but only set the minimum height to 600px for all of them. This means that all videos in SD quality can't use them and will be played back with the software decoder, which has no stuttering effects.

Strange that they're all disabled, but you can either leave that or enable them. The only important thing is that you set the minimum height for all four of them.  
i just tried to disable the MTK decoder mpeg2 and mpeg4 and only enabled the google decoders. then the file wont play anymore. (just for a quick test).

i personly use only the nvidia shield for kodi. i only tried to help out or help finding out the issue with log files etc..
and you find an easy way to manage the problem. good job. Wink
maybe some time in the future peak3d (if he has time for this) can find out why the mtk decoder won't work properly.
but i think specially for those problems he made this file
(2019-03-30, 19:25)rainman74 Wrote: Note: Kodi also writes all available codecs on the device to this file if it exists. There you can check if you have set the right ones.
Is there anything else required to have it created?

I have created it as:
sdcard\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata\decoderfilter.xml
but it's not filled by Kodi.
(2019-04-01, 23:42)baza_dwa Wrote:
(2019-03-30, 19:25)rainman74 Wrote: Note: Kodi also writes all available codecs on the device to this file if it exists. There you can check if you have set the right ones.
Is there anything else required to have it created?

I have created it as:
sdcard\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata\decoderfilter.xml
but it's not filled by Kodi. 
No, that's all it is. Then just use my settings Wink
you need latest nightly build, on 18.1 its not there
I have this stuttering problem (every 15 secs or so) on 18 on openelec 8 on an intel PC.
(2019-04-02, 05:33)m2k1980 Wrote: you need latest nightly build, on 18.1 its not there
That's what I'm assuming ;-)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 (and RC 18.1) Video Stuttering issues [Android 6 / Amlogic S905X]1