Solved Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting. Windows Server 2016 via RDP
So I just upgraded from 17.6 to 18.1 and the Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting pops up when attempting to launch kodi via RDP.  This is a VM running on ESXI 6.7 that I use solely for database maintenance and library updates to SQL.  

If I connect to the VMConsole kodi will launch fine, any tweaks I can make to the VM hardware that might help?  

bufudocaxu.kodi
u could try if next link has influence Enabling GPU rendering on Windows Server 2016 / Windows 10 RDP if u don't like group objects, u could try next link Use hardware graphics adapters for all Remote Desktop Services sessions which shows the registry key for it.
Btw i checked my own pc's registry for this key i don't have it on my windows 10 machine (whom is acting as rdp server through rdp wrapper) so don't really know if it will help.

Just reading up, cause your question gotten me interested. The next link points to information about udp ports How to improve Remote Desktop performance for remote users through an RDS Gateway Server .

Just found on a thread about acceleration:
"one thing you should keep in mind if your rdp settings are too low the acceleration is turned off.
in my experience if you want acceleration to work normally you need 32bit color (Depending on your app this could be lowered) and set the connection speed to LAN.". In my own setup i've it both on autodetect but effectivly it means i get highest display and bandwith settings, so it could matter.

Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 8.0 update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 might also contain some clues. As for example RemoteFX cannot be used and such.
I'll give this a try when I get home later.  Thanks for all the info!  I'll let you know if anything helped
Good luck with it, if any worked (whether above or not) i'll be happy to hear it (and others likely too)
This worked perfect!  First link was all I needed.  Thanks again
Quote:As of Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016, you can enable GPU usage remotely as both operating systems natively support DirectX 11 / OpenGL 3+ over RDP.  It is as simple as setting a toggle in the group policy correctly on Windows 10 / Server 2016:

Open the Edit Group Policy tool from Control Panel or use the Windows Search dialog (Windows Key + R, then type in gpedit.msc)
Browse to: Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment 
Then enable “Use the hardware default graphics adapter for all Remote Desktop Services sessions”

Thread marked solved.
Hope you don't mind I still bump this.
I'm also experimenting with ESXi and Kodi since I want to run my Kodi on my ESXi and just feed the image to my television.
I ran into the same problem, but since I don't want to RDP all the time, the solution above wasn't for me.

Instead I changed some settings on my VM and afterwards Kodi did launch. (This is without a GPU in passthrough).

Could perhaps be useful for someone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error: Unable to create GUI. Exiting. Windows Server 2016 via RDP0