Linux Kodi 18 install on Armbian ARM devices
Hello,

I am new here ,but since a wile a big fan of Kodi.

To get my TV´s smart I use ARM Based SOC´s, Asus tinkerboard, oranegpi WIN plus and the new rockpi 4.

Until now i used Android images on my devices, because Kodi worked best on it, but android is limited and not for all my devices available.

There for i like to use from now on Linux,  Armbian woks best on ARM based boards , there are Ubuntu and Debian images available.

What is the best way to Install Kodi on Armbian, to have full Hardware acceleration?

Should I compile it from source, or is it enough to install it via apt-get.

the compile processes looks easier for ubuntu.

Is it better to use debian or ubuntu?

Greetings
you probably have to compile yourself. Or use LibreElec instead
I compiled Kodi successful   the new rockpi 4, with the Rockchip RK3399 and powerfull Mali T860 gpu.

But the Kodi player runs not very well.

so far I ggot gstreamer working, 1080p and 2160p run good with it.

I try to get mpv running, but At the moment I have some Problems to compile it successful .

is it Possible to use gstreamer with kodi?

External_players (wiki)

or how i can optimize the Kodi player?

greetings
(2019-02-26, 21:07)pumuckll Wrote: I compiled Kodi successful   the new rockpi 4, with the Rockchip RK3399 and powerfull Mali T860 gpu.

But the Kodi player runs not very well.
 Thats not really much to go on, is it?
you might want to take a look at LibreElec, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340575
sorry for the less information yesterday  I was a little frustrated because mpv  wont run, after days
my plan was to use Kodi with mpv, but i think i have to wait for a useful Armbian img.

I want  a jack of all trades, playing movies , play games, run some android apps and integrate the device in my smart home.

i compiled Kodi  on Ubuntu but the Performance of the Kodi player is not the best, the rest looked ok.

README.Ubuntu.md

It would be grate if somebody could show me a way to compile Kodi optimized for the Rock Pi and the mali gpu.

If this is not possibke at the moment I will use LibreELEC , if i am able to run chromium for webbrowsing and to use the prime addon.

I will take a try in the evening ,

greetings
(2019-02-27, 14:15)pumuckll Wrote: if i am able to run chromium for webbrowsing

No need to try LibreELEC then if that's mandatory for you. Chromium is only available for x86 while using LibreELEC.
(2019-02-20, 07:45)pumuckll Wrote: To get my TV´s smart I use ARM Based SOC´s, Asus tinkerboard, oranegpi WIN plus and the new rockpi 4.
What is the best way to Install Kodi on Armbian, to have full Hardware acceleration?
Hi, with tinkerboard you can try the tinkerboard media-script for hardware acceleration. It works great for me with KODI 17.x (installed by apt-get in armbian) and also the KODI 18.x alpha release installed by the script itself running smoothly enough.
Tried to update my KODI 17.x with armbian on tinkerboard (4.19.20-rockchip #5.75 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 8 11:59:37 CET 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux), but failed.
Steps to reproduce (sudo missed for shortness):
  • apt-get purge *kodi*
  • apt autoremove
  • add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
  • apt-get update
  • apt-get upgrade
  • apt-get dist-upgrade
  • apt-get install kodi  
xml:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kodi : Depends: kodi-x11 (< 2:18.1+git20190217.1232-final-0bionic.1~) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
The PPA only contains packages for amd64 and i386 architecture.
What is the correct repository for arm?
Either compile from source or try LibreElec.
(2019-03-03, 14:49)Rechi Wrote: The PPA only contains packages for amd64 and i386 architecture.
Not exactly, see: http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...ary-armhf/
... and many others

The packages file links to "_all.deb" packages, e.g.: "pool/main/k/kodi/kodi_18.1+git20190217.1232-final-0bionic_all.deb"
This only contains the platform independent files, not the actual binaries.
(2019-03-04, 11:03)Rechi Wrote: This only contains the platform independent files, not the actual binaries.

What would it take to build for Arm?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 install on Armbian ARM devices0