Recorded shows won't play without Kodi restart
Hi, I've been using SWMC for years now and love it so first off want to say thank you!!  I recently upgraded from kodi 17.6 to 18.0 and started having an issue where Kodi works fine for watching recorded shows and then after watching one I will go and select another to play, and it will spin for a few seconds and then just do nothing.  I can still use Kodi at this point but no matter what recorded show I select nothing will play.  After closing and reopening Kodi it works again for a while then will have the same issue later on that day.  I'm running SWMC on a windows 7 PC and streaming to a separate windows 10 PC running Kodi - both are on the same network and hardwired.  An example can be seen at 22:19:04 trying to open a recorded episode of The Goldbergs.

Kodi Log - https://paste.kodi.tv/kowazuxobe.kodi
SWMC Log - https://paste.kodi.tv/aweqofetel

Thank you in advance for your help and please let me know if you need any other information!
The swmc log says the file could not be opened, its like the samba path to the file is no longer valid, but the same path worked previously, so weird - not sure what is going on.  I can't reproduce it.  If you figure out some steps to make it happen every time let me know.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
There has been some weirdness lately with Windows shares. Not sure if it is Kodi 18, Windows updates, or atomic particles...

I've had the best luck going into kodi and adding the Recorded TV folder as a source under settings -> file manager. Once the username and password is set properly there, I've been able to access reliably.

Your mileage may vary :-)
@sbthomas are you saying that you add it is a video source and then play the wtv files through this added source, OR that once you add it you can play the wtv files through pvr.wmc as normal?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
No, I play them back through the normal PVR interface but Kodi uses the credentials set when the path is added to file manager. I think file manager is different than adding a source through video -> files.
I had this happen to me also.

After i upgraded to 18.4 on my win7 HTPC's was running 17.6. & ServerWMC
At first everything was working normal, then after a  few weeks i started to get an error one day, trying to play any recordings,
it claimed duplicate credentials or something like that.

After searching here i found others had this happen and if they removed the user:password entry's in the kodi password.xml file for the recorded TV folders it went away.
I did that and it started working again.

now a few weeks later i start to have this problem of any new recordings are listed but will not play without restart of kodi.

So i have to track down that real problem. Of course that is not easy as you make a change one at a time to see if it helped but you don't know if that reloaded the list (Like restarting kodi) or fixed it.

anyways first i tried to add the entry's back into password.xml for recorded TV folder. that Did not help still would not play but i had not restarted kodi so maybe they were not being used. I restarted kodi and new recording worked but that had always fixed it. seen notice that a recording started and after watching a show that new recording would not play.
Went to Recorded TV folder and noticed that the shares security info listed a unknown account in the list, so i deleted the unknown account and added the user i had setup in serverWMC to use to access the folders. I am sure i had added the user before, must have been the one that turned to unknown account.

Still would not play the new recording, but of course i had not restarted everything as most like would be required but would also make it work until the next new recording. So without restarting.
I went into ServerWMC and unchecked the Use Credentials box and then it started working, i could play that new recording without having to restart kodi.
Will have to wait and see what the future holds as that unchecked box could of caused ServerWMC to re read the list of recordings and send to the clients.
So either i am back to using the user:password entry's in the password.xml file or serverWMC just refreshed the recording list and i will see the issue again next time.

I will try and update if it make any sense in a few days.
Update
I have not solved this yet.

Tried many more things still not working. Everything looks correct but it just no longer works for any new recordings since kodi loaded the list from ServerWMC.

If you check or uncheck the ServerWMC, folder tab the Use Credentials box, the kodi 18.4 clients still can't play the new recording not sure why it did that one time above.

It seems that to really test this you would need to reboot both PCs (Server and Client) after each change and test after a new recording was made. PIA

I find the recording are made and are listed in the Recorded TV list at the kodi clients Just fine. But the new recording will not play all older recording play just fine.
The currently recording show will play just fine (Recording Now group in the list), You are not asked if you want to start at the beginning when you play a currently recording show in just starts at the beginning, so that is something different.

Even the show you just watched while it was in the Recording Now list after it gets moved to the recorded TV list still will not play.
I checked the logs on the kodi client and ServerWMC and  there is an error about opening the file stream "reports error opening stream" but it don't give any info as to why.

If you got to system>>addons>>prv clients and disable and then enable the WMC.PVR  addon that will also reload the list of recorded TV and the new recording will now play.

anyways i am going on vacation for 3 weeks, so will fix this when i get back.

This just started with Kodi 18.4, I was running 17.6 just fine for over a year and playing with 18.2 and did not see this problem. I have only be using 18.4 less then a month now and have had some weird windows SMB file issues.
This sounds exactly like what I have been seeing. Do you use a separate remux target? I do but don't remux finished recordings so wonder if there is a stale uri for the media file?

(2019-09-19, 22:16)Rainey222 Wrote: Update
I have not solved this yet.

Tried many more things still not working. Everything looks correct but it just no longer works for any new recordings since kodi loaded the list from ServerWMC.

If you check or uncheck the ServerWMC, folder tab the Use Credentials box, the kodi 18.4 clients still can't play the new recording not sure why it did that one time above.

It seems that to really test this you would need to reboot both PCs (Server and Client) after each change and test after a new recording was made. PIA

I find the recording are made and are listed in the Recorded TV list at the kodi clients Just fine. But the new recording will not play all older recording play just fine.
The currently recording show will play just fine (Recording Now group in the list), You are not asked if you want to start at the beginning when you play a currently recording show in just starts at the beginning, so that is something different.

Even the show you just watched while it was in the Recording Now list after it gets moved to the recorded TV list still will not play.
I checked the logs on the kodi client and ServerWMC and  there is an error about opening the file stream "reports error opening stream" but it don't give any info as to why.

If you got to system>>addons>>prv clients and disable and then enable the WMC.PVR  addon that will also reload the list of recorded TV and the new recording will now play.

anyways i am going on vacation for 3 weeks, so will fix this when i get back.

This just started with Kodi 18.4, I was running 17.6 just fine for over a year and playing with 18.2 and did not see this problem. I have only be using 18.4 less then a month now and have had some weird windows SMB file issues.
Just wanted to add #metoo  having the same issue.   Anyone know if there's a python command to refresh the addon instead of restarting?
Well i got home from vacation and it recorded 3 weeks of shows. I notice i no longer have this problem, so it fixed itself.
Not sure how, i will look into it, something must have updated, so if it was not ServerWMC that updated then it must be an addon in kodi that updated and fixed the issue.

Anyways, new recording play fine again now. so i am a happy camper.
(2019-10-11, 02:54)fuqit Wrote: Just wanted to add #metoo  having the same issue.   Anyone know if there's a python command to refresh the addon instead of restarting?
I am also having this issue. Kodi 18.4 running on RPi, PVR.WMC 2.4.4, ServerWMC 1.0.0.63 build 1255
I think I found what causes it.

It looks like it is operator error when using serve WMC.

Open up serve WMC go to the debug tab and see if you have the checkbox checked next to the remux all recordings.

It seems as if this is not checked then it don't play new recordings without a restart of the client. it seems I played with the settings once again and ended up with the same problem. After checking that box the recording started playing again. There's still something funny going on seems to me I used to be able to play my recordings without having that box checked but that seems to be what's causing this latest round of recordings not playing until you restart the client.
That box should not be required for normal operation. However, having it checked isn't the end of the world, it just uses significantly more CPU on the WMC server. My gut says maybe file permissions? The original recording is not accessible by Kodi for some reason but when the box is check the add-on creates a new file on the fly (remux) which is accessible. Not sure, just an idea.
Same issue here, now testing it on 18.5, and have no solution to it other than to restart Kodi each time. I tried unchecking "Remux active recordings", but that doesn't help. One other thing I noticed: After doing multiple test recordings of the same program to reproduce this, I then deleted some of these recordings from within Kodi, but the item count on the subfolder for these recordings still showed the higher item count, even after a Kodi restart. Not sure if this is directly related to the bug or not.
(2019-11-19, 07:24)sbthomas Wrote: That box should not be required for normal operation. However, having it checked isn't the end of the world, it just uses significantly more CPU on the WMC server. My gut says maybe file permissions? The original recording is not accessible by Kodi for some reason but when the box is check the add-on creates a new file on the fly (remux) which is accessible. Not sure, just an idea.
Yes i agree.

before this problem started in Kodi 18 and SWMC 1255 and Dot Net 4.6, i was running windows7 Kodi 17.6 and SWMC 1244 and never had any issues and never checked that remux all box.

Also if you have the checkbox checked next to the remux all recordings, i find it changes the way things work. I have a 3 minute pad on the start of the recordings.
I use to always just hit the jump ahead button on my remote multiple times to jump ahead 3 minutes at the very start of playback of the recrodings. But now since it remuxing the file it only jumps a few seconds as it has to first remux the file before it can jump forward.
This is how i knew it did not work this way before and i did not have the setting enabled to remux all wtv files.
But now it seems the only way i can get new recording to play without a kodi restart is to remux all wtv files with that check box in the debug tab of SWMC.

Now to narrow in on what changed with the new set up in windows7 Kodi 18 and SWMC 1255 and Dot Net 4.6
I use to map drives on my client from my server for my library files and some times i would need to reconnect them for some reason after reboots etc..,
in 18 i just set up one smb entry to that servers IP and i can see all the drive letters that are shared and i can access all my librarys through that one smb file manager entry. This also allows me to use the same kodi setup at any device or location as the paths never change.

After using this setup for a while one day i got an error in kodi when trying to play a recording, it claimed duplicate credentials in the log files when trying to access the recording files.

After searching the forums here i found others had this error happen and they reported if they removed the user:password entry's in the kodi password.xml file for the recorded TV folders it went away.
I did that and it started working again. Then a few weeks later i start to have this problem of any new recordings are listed but will not play without restart of kodi.

So it seems to have something to do with the SMB logins and what password setting to use, as we also set this in SWMC for the Recorded TV folders, mediasources.xml and passwords.xml to name the ones i know about.

So i played around and added the Recorded TV folders back into the passwords.xml file and then recorded and new show and it played when finished without having the remux all wtv files checkbox checked in SWMC.

<path>
    <from pathversion="1">smb://wmc7/recorded tv2</from>
    <to pathversion="1">smb://username:password@wmc7/recorded tv/</to>
</path>

We will see how long this lasts before i get the duplicate credentials error again or something else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recorded shows won't play without Kodi restart0