android tv box to for lossless Atmos 4k HDR
hi all

looking for a cheap android tv box to occasionally watch lossless Atmos 4k HDR movies rips.

i've read the various faqs threads and my head is spinning a bit with the different options.

after some research it seems the cheap android media players based on amlogic s905*/912 chipsets have hdmi 2.0 & should be hdr & atmos compatible & are a decent bet. 

I would prefer to use the Android version of Kodi instead of coreelec/librelec since it would be easier if i wanted to use other aspects of the android os like other apps etc

Questions i have are - 

1) whether there is any difference in the different versions of the amlogic s905* chipsets in terms of
    (a) the audio and video output quality (for eg 905x is better picture quality than 905w etc)
    (b) the performance (for eg 905w is sluggish compared to 905x etc)?

2) what if any difference is there in the performance of the 1gb/8gb & 2gb/16gb models?

3) are all the el-cheapo android tv box brands you get for around $40-60 the same in terms of performance and audio/video output quality?

4) if i am using the Android version of Kodi instead of coreelec/librelec is it a question of plug & play to get lossless atmos & 4k HDR or is there some setup required?

5) has anyone used these boxes to download torrents from private trackers which allow only particular torrent clients to be used?

thanks for the help
4K HDR Bluray Rips playback needs Gigabit Ethernet (1000M) so that rules out a whole swag of devices.

The S912 devices are the fastest, especially if you use then with Wireless mini dongle remote. S905W is the slowest.

2GB RAM is the minimum needed for the Android OS.

Dual booting to CoreELEC Kodi with a S912 device will be superior vs using Android Kodi. Most simply buy the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6

You need a Wireless mini USB dongle remote to make dual boot and Kodi control much easier.

Be VERY careful with any cheap AMLogic devices running Android Oreo 8.1
HD audio IEC passthrough inc. Atmos support may have been dropped in that OS. IEC is definately needed for Kodi.

You get what you pay for, but running CoreELEC Kodi on such cheap devices is the superior Kodi setup.

do i need Gigabit Ethernet (1000M) if i dont have a gigabit router?

i watch maybe 2-4 movies a month max (rest is netflix) so planning to run it off a USB HDD 

so if i got it right  - 905w < 905x < 905d < 912 in terms of speed?

any difference in terms of the audio and video output quality between them & between CoreELEC Kodi vs Android Kodi?
Go with a S912 box w/2GB/16GB. I'm using CoreELEC w/an older Tanix TX92 and 4K HDR performance is excellent. If Android OS, nVidia Shield TV is the way to go.
(2019-02-23, 02:41)Skywalker2019 Wrote: do i need Gigabit Ethernet (1000M) if i dont have a gigabit router?

i watch maybe 2-4 movies a month max (rest is netflix) so planning to run it off a USB HDD 

so if i got it right  - 905w < 905x < 905d < 912 in terms of speed?

any difference in terms of the audio and video output quality between them & between CoreELEC Kodi vs Android Kodi?

You have the S9xx chipset speed correct.

There are so many variables with Android on cheap devices it's virtually impossible to say how well Android Kodi will work on any of them. It's a complete gamble. The minimum should be Nougat 7.x.x

You get what you are given, unless you are into the Android ROM scene over on the Freak tab forums. Kodi may then still not work properly. Refresh/resolution switching will definitely not work not matter what you do if you use cheap Android.
It depends how demanding you are.

CoreELEC controls the Linux Kernel, the drivers, the Linux OS itself and optimises the crap out of Kodi Leia to make everything play nice. There really is no comparison IMHO vs cheap devices running Android Kodi.

thanks for the inputs guys.

bit of noob question but what is Gigabit Ethernet (1000M) needed for in a media player? & do you need a Gigabit Router & every component connected to it to make use of it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android tv box to for lossless Atmos 4k HDR0