Kodi interface big stuttering in idle
Hello people!

I'm having a very annoying problem with my Kodi installation..

I'm having an overpowered htpc with a core i7 6700K, 16gb ddr4 and a gtx 1080.

But the interface is far from smooth..

I have done some research and I see what happened but not what I can do against it.

When Kodi is doing something, like playing a movie, scanning my library or when I just open an addon, the cpu usage will go from 0/1 to 5/6 procent and than, the interface is smooth like butter. But after some seconds, it goes down to idle, cpu usage of Kodi is going back to 0/1 procent, and than the stutter is back.

Energy management is to performance mode in windows, and I have also tried to run a game in the background so the cpu keeps busy, but it doesnt matter. It's just Kodi. When Kodi goes to idle, the interface is laggy.

I have tried multiple clean installations.

Does someone know what is happening here??
Anyone else?
A proper debug log might show the issue, check my signature for the link to creating the debug and information about posting.
Thanks,

I will do that asap.

Any other suggestions so far?
Did you find time to post the log? 

Exactly same problem here on a brand new pc. 

Hardware
Intel Core i5-9600
16 GB RAM
Radeon RX550
SSD 
Windows 10 Pro

Log
https://paste.kodi.tv/obikeniliq.kodi

Errors i found (several times):
2019-03-17 09:44:10.021 T:8980   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting
2019-03-17 09:44:12.421 T:11356   ERROR: NEWADDON Unknown Video Info Key "progress"
2019-03-17 09:50:56.794 T:8836   ERROR: CAESinkDirectSound::CheckPlayStatus: Failed to play the DirectSound buffer: unknown

No clue what they mean. Any help very much appreciated.
My Kodi Box: Windows 10 (1809; 64bits), Intel Core i5 9600K, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX550, Samsung SSD 970 EVO, Denon AVR x2500H, LG OLED55C7V 55".
@SanderBroek

There's a lot going on in the log with many add-ons that I'm unfamiliar with, so before I ask for a portable install with minimal extras and the default skin. Could you perhaps try a desktop and Kodi at 1920x1080x60 and see if you have relief?
changed to 1920*1080p. No changes...
My Kodi Box: Windows 10 (1809; 64bits), Intel Core i5 9600K, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX550, Samsung SSD 970 EVO, Denon AVR x2500H, LG OLED55C7V 55".
(2019-03-24, 18:31)SanderBroek Wrote: changed to 1920*1080p. No changes...
Thought gfx might be a tad overloaded, then it's on for a portable install with minimal extras and the default skin. https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
(2019-03-24, 18:52)PatK Wrote:
(2019-03-24, 18:31)SanderBroek Wrote: changed to 1920*1080p. No changes...
Thought gfx might be a tad overloaded, then it's on for a portable install with minimal extras and the default skin. https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable 
Is that to rule out addons?
(2019-03-24, 20:14)SanderBroek Wrote: Is that to rule out addons?
Yes; there is quite a few that in the past have shown to have caused some of the symptoms you describe. It's not necessarily just one add-on but could the interplay between a few add-ons, the idea is to prove out your hardware is capable of running a solid stable Kodi without any of the symptoms described in this post. If this proves to not be the case, then we delve deeper into the hardware/drivers software etc. If we do get a stable Kodi, then by adding into your portable, the basics, library and set-up we see if Kodi is still good. Then with that under our belt we move into the last stage which is add-ons one by one proving out each for the culprit(s).

If Kodi originally on this equipment was fine, and only developed this issue after some add-ons, then of course they would be at the top of the list to disable. Suggestion: Disable everything and see if Kodi still has the issue, if so we'll have to go with the roadmap described above. To save us both a lot of finger work, likely candidates are 'service.watchdog', skin helper, in themselves are not a problem but in some combinations have been found guilty.
(2019-03-24, 21:42)PatK Wrote:
(2019-03-24, 20:14)SanderBroek Wrote: Is that to rule out addons?
Yes; there is quite a few that in the past have shown to have caused some of the symptoms you describe. It's not necessarily just one add-on but could the interplay between a few add-ons, the idea is to prove out your hardware is capable of running a solid stable Kodi without any of the symptoms described in this post. If this proves to not be the case, then we delve deeper into the hardware/drivers software etc. If we do get a stable Kodi, then by adding into your portable, the basics, library and set-up we see if Kodi is still good. Then with that under our belt we move into the last stage which is add-ons one by one proving out each for the culprit(s).

If Kodi originally on this equipment was fine, and only developed this issue after some add-ons, then of course they would be at the top of the list to disable. Suggestion: Disable everything and see if Kodi still has the issue, if so we'll have to go with the roadmap described above. To save us both a lot of finger work, likely candidates are 'service.watchdog', skin helper, in themselves are not a problem but in some combinations have been found guilty. 

Clear. Just because i couldn't manage my impatience, i tried those two. Without effect. I prefer to make a clean installation and start adding stuff/addons step by step. I'll post my findings here.
  • Basic install, Leia 18.1, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Installed OpenWeatherMap addon, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Added a map with movies to the library, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Installed dutch language, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Added a map with music to the library, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Changed screen resoltution to 1902-1080p (i have not much 4K material to play), no problems, interface is smooth
  • Added map with tv shows, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Installed TVDB-scraper, no problems, interface is smooth
  • added a map with musicvideo's, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Installed PVR addon - unknown error occured (TV mosaic), no problems, interface is smooth
  • Configured PVR, restarted system, working fine, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Installed skin Mod V2 Estuary, with a lot of independencies, no problems, interface is smooth
  • Restarted system, running smooth
  • Played some music
  • Installed Lyrics addon... YES, there's the stuttering!!!
  • Deinstalled CU Lyrics addonn, problem solved

Ideas on what to do? 
Thanks for this post, at least you have discovered the gremlin in a box (or have you?). The question comes to mind, 'is it just this add-on' or 'the totality of the accumulated extras'; in other words have you just added the last straw that broke the camels back? The add-on has been with us for quite a while and perhaps it's functionality has been compromised in the latest Kodi. This thread appears to discuses a patch and would be the proper place to elicit support https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307845

Suggestion: don't install this add-on, in the past there have been un-installing issues Add-on:CU LRC Lyrics (wiki)
@SanderBroek

You may have narrowed down to an add-on, which is strange, but I think your actual problem is your Audio driver setup. You are connected to a Denon Receiver, but that is not what is selected in Kodi. Either your Windows drivers are not setup correctly, or you have not set up Kod correctly. Try changing your settings in Kodi to Denon WASAPI in Settings>System Settings>Audio. It has to be chosen twice on that screen in that screen.

xml:
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - DIRECTSOUND Initialized:
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Output Device : Device not found <!-- Problem entry -->
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Sample Rate : 44100
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Sample Format : AE_FMT_FLOAT
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Channel Count : 2
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Channel Layout: FL, FR
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Frames : 661
2019-03-17 09:44:03.946 T:8836 DEBUG: Frame Size : 8
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-03-30, 16:34)PatK Wrote: Thanks for this post, at least you have discovered the gremlin in a box (or have you?). The question comes to mind, 'is it just this add-on' or 'the totality of the accumulated extras'; in other words have you just added the last straw that broke the camels back? The add-on has been with us for quite a while and perhaps it's functionality has been compromised in the latest Kodi. This thread appears to discuses a patch and would be the proper place to elicit support https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307845

Suggestion: don't install this add-on, in the past there have been un-installing issues Add-on:CU LRC Lyrics (wiki)

Thanks for your answer. It's quite confusing me though... i can't really understand what the patch in the thread really does... So does it make sense to commence a thread from 2017?

(2019-03-30, 21:42)Karellen Wrote: @SanderBroek

You may have narrowed down to an add-on, which is strange, but I think your actual problem is your Audio driver setup. You are connected to a Denon Receiver, but that is not what is selected in Kodi. Either your Windows drivers are not setup correctly, or you have not set up Kod correctly. Try changing your settings in Kodi to Denon WASAPI in Settings>System Settings>Audio. It has to be chosen twice on that screen in that screen.

ow, i didn't know that Smile I adjusted the Audio settings. 

I've been testing some more and activating the CU Lyrics addon adds the stuttering. After changing above audio settings it's less than before. I went back and forth a couple of times with both CU Lyrics and AUdio setting to test the results.

For now, i just disabled CU Lyrics.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi interface big stuttering in idle0