[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] AAC/FLAC/WMV 5.1 pass-through to SP/DIF out: transcode to AC3 5.1
Many thanks for answering me on this!

I guess I just have to wait till the team at xbmc get real time aac 5.1 encoding implemented.
or extract the audio componant from your video and convert to ac3 which is supported atm as in my previous post.

Dam0
Interestingly I have a Creative Labs Xi-Fi audio card that does the mapping of 5.1 audio from 6 channel sources to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly in the hardware. So far I don't have it working with XBMC at all. It works with pretty much everything else I've thrown at it.

There are a few settings in XBMC I could fiddle with and I'm considering turning the option off in the driver settings but the lack of control of steering output on a PC will be a deficiency I think for XBMC (I have 4 audio output devices in my HTPC - Mobo, ATI graphics Card, HDMI capture/passthru card & Creative Sound Card).

Since I'm new to it I'm going to lurk around a bit and see what's what, but the best solution I can think of is that the PC versions of ffshow have a control panel that by default appears in the task bar. If XBMC can be written to allow the installation of the native PC ffshow then all kinds of routing (including the AC3 filter in post) can be achieved.

A.

[Edited cos I can't spell!]
Hi, I have a question regarding DD & DTS output. I've installed XBMC for windows and I'm looking for a soundcard with coaxial or optical out. I want to backup my entire DVD collection to .iso files and I was wondering if XMBC will automaticly outpu DD and DTS from these files to the coaxial or optical out or if thats not supported yet? If it is supported do you have any recommendations for soundcards with optical or coaxial out that are compatible with XBMC?
tenf00t Wrote:Hi, I have a question regarding DD & DTS output. I've installed XBMC for windows and I'm looking for a soundcard with coaxial or optical out. I want to backup my entire DVD collection to .iso files and I was wondering if XBMC will automaticly outpu DD and DTS from these files to the coaxial or optical out or if thats not supported yet? If it is supported do you have any recommendations for soundcards with optical or coaxial out that are compatible with XBMC?
IT does AC3 5.1 if that is what you are asking. I do not believe DTS is supported.
Can anyone answer this

I am using Atlantis 8.10 and the latest horizon III skin

I went to play a H.264 movie with AAC 5.1 sound. Under the audio settings on the OSD I saw it names my sound as unknown 5.1 sound. I take it that this does not mean that the audio track of the movie is not AAC 5.1 sound? Does it just say unknown because of the fact xbmc does not support AAC and so once they have codec support it will show up as AAC 5.1? Is that right?

The sound still plays just fine on my PC through 2 speakers in analogue mode. There is no sound on digital mode. I just hope someone can please clear this up for me?

Is anyone else noticing this on their AAC 5.1 films?

Many thanks in advance
we do ac-3 and dts in passthrough mode just fine.

we do not do realtime encoding currently though, so 5.1 aac will only give you 2 chans.
many thanks for your reply, I already know all that. I was just asking about why it still does not show it as a known audio format? Is this because there is no codec yet for the 5.1 AAC sound?
spiff Wrote:we do ac-3 and dts in passthrough mode just fine.

we do not do realtime encoding currently though, so 5.1 aac will only give you 2 chans.

I'm experimenting with finding a container and streams that will playback correctly on my PC (XBMC) and on my PS3 when streamed via Twonky.

I've been working with AVC @ 1080p and AC3 5.1 @ 640kbps and muxing them into M2TS. This is great but no support for chapters as far as I can tell... please correct me if I'm wrong...

As a test today, I took my AVC and transcoded the AC3 into AAC 5.1 and muxed it into an MP4 container. This seems to stream well on both the PC and the PS3 but (getting back to the original thread topic), if I play this in XBMC on my HTPC, I'll only get 2 channel output via my SPDIF connection to the 5.1 receiver?

I think this is what I gathered from the thread. If so, I'd second the request to have XBMC on-the-fly transcode the AAC 5.1 into what is essentially AC3 5.1 SPDIF passthru... or can I force XBMC to use a filter of my choosing (ie. AC3Filter) that supports on-the-fly transcoding?
slippy Wrote:many thanks for your reply, I already know all that. I was just asking about why it still does not show it as a known audio format? Is this because there is no codec yet for the 5.1 AAC sound?

have you tried demuxing the file, convert AAC to AC3 (EAC3to should be able to handle that) and then mux it back into TS container.
I have a file taken from a bluray source called xyz.1080p.5.1.wmv which I am trying to get to work on my mac mini using XBMC. I have the audio set to digital and XBMC recognises that its 5.1 in the stream option. However I get no sound output. My Mac Mini is plugged into a surround amp using an optical cable. The configuration works Ok for other files with surround sound which the processor sees as DTS.

Any ideas?

TIA

Update:
VLC wont run the file, I managed to run using QT with Flip4Mac
Not supported yet by XBMC code, see these related suggestions for more information:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39663
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34130
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36982
feature requests:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4450
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4871
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5188
and patch with one possible solution:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4859

Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Dam0 Wrote:Slippy,

i ended up using mkvextract to demux, then loaded the *.AAC into nero soundtrax and exported it as ac3. then remux using mkvmerge, and now i have working mkv with ac3.
regards,
Dam0

What version of SoundTrax are you using? I have the latest, and it doesn't have an option to export to AC3.
CrashMonkey Wrote:What version of SoundTrax are you using? I have the latest, and it doesn't have an option to export to AC3.

ive recently upgraded to nero vers 9 i think, so i currently have soundtrax vers 4.0.18.0, but i cant rem if i performed the process described prior to upgrading nero.

im sorry i cant be more specific, as i have deleted all my aac files since converting them.

regards,
Dam0
when you go to export, the ac3 option isn't there. checking the version that comes with nero 8 now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] AAC/FLAC/WMV 5.1 pass-through to SP/DIF out: transcode to AC3 5.11