Linux Delete unwanted HDMI output
Can I delete an unwanted HDMI output?

I'm running Kodi on Linux (v17.6) with a NVidea GT 1030. This particular card has 1 HDMI output and 1 DisplayPort output.
Both show as HDMI output unfortunately.

Depending on what turned on first (Denon AVR or PC), the order of these HDMI outputs swap.
So sometimes the audio works, as the Denon is connected to the top HDMI (in Kodi GUI), but the next time it may not, because then the Denon is connected to the 2nd HDMI output (in Kodi GUI). I swear, I haven's swapped cables in between!

I tried to use the GetEdid script, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Could I edit a file or issue a command to just delete the Displayport, so it won't show up in Kodi GUI anymore?
Hey, your problem sounds a lot like mine. In my case the order always changes when going to suspend my HTPC for the first time and resets back when rebooting. The order in which the devices are powered up does not seem to matter.

I wrote about it on the Ubuntu forums earlier, does this sound familiar? https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2410204

Unfortunately I don't believe turning the outputs off would be possible, but I hope we'd find a way to solve this. It really is annoying.
(2019-02-25, 18:41)Banzi Wrote: I'm running Kodi on Linux (v17.6)
(2019-02-25, 18:41)Banzi Wrote: I tried to use the GetEdid script, but that doesn't solve the problem.
Am I right with my assumption that you are using LibreELEC then?
(2019-02-26, 07:21)DaVu Wrote:
(2019-02-25, 18:41)Banzi Wrote: I'm running Kodi on Linux (v17.6)
(2019-02-25, 18:41)Banzi Wrote: I tried to use the GetEdid script, but that doesn't solve the problem.
Am I right with my assumption that you are using LibreELEC then?  
 You are right in that assumption. Does that make a difference?
In a bit. As I wrote that getedid-script and I was assuming that it works to force the HDMI output even if no output device (tv or whatever screen) is attached to the HTPC hardware.

Could you please show me the content of your xorg.conf file at /storage/.config/xorg.conf in a paste? Enter pastebinit /storage/.config/xorg.conf

Also please get me: ls -al /storage/.config/ | pastebinit

Also please make sure, before using the getedid script that everything works fine audio and video-wise. If you are not sure if that was the case while using that script, delete the current configuration by entering: getedid delete (that will case to be everything at default), then reboot, then make sure everything works as it should, then use getedid create again.
(2019-02-26, 19:12)DaVu Wrote: In a bit. As I wrote that getedid-script and I was assuming that it works to force the HDMI output even if no output device (tv or whatever screen) is attached to the HTPC hardware.

Could you please show me the content of your xorg.conf file at /storage/.config/xorg.conf in a paste? Enter pastebinit /storage/.config/xorg.conf

Also please get me: ls -al /storage/.config/ | pastebinit

Also please make sure, before using the getedid script that everything works fine audio and video-wise. If you are not sure if that was the case while using that script, delete the current configuration by entering: getedid delete (that will case to be everything at default), then reboot, then make sure everything works as it should, then use getedid create again.
http://ix.io/1CBj

http://ix.io/1CBg

I'm pretty sure everything worked correctly audio and video-wise…

Video always worked. I could go through the GUI and select a movie. Only to find out there's no audio.
I can't say for 100% that I had GUI audio or not.

What fixes it temporarliy:
Go to settings and change the Audio Passthrough device.

When libreelec starts first, the order would be:

Nvidia HDMI - Denon AVR
Nvidia HDMI

when the Denon is turned on first, it shows as:

Nvidia HDMI
Nvidia HDMI - Denon AVR

This leads me to think the actual DFP number changes.
@Banzi 

Interesting...your /storage/.config folder doesn't show any xorg.conf file but yet you are able to show me the content of that file?! That sounds strange to me Wink

Maybe there's also something going wrong with the script. I'll have to properly look at it again. Will ping you
"DaVu"
My bad... I didn't do things in chronologic order...

After the GetEdid Create, xorg.conf is there…

sorry for creating the fuss…

it didn't fix my problem though… As I believe the script fixes an output to a DFP number.

After I tried your script, I've changed my domotic programming, so the Kodi machine doesn't start until my AVR has started. That way, the output HDMI stays always te same. 
But for development purposes, I'm willing to test things… In the end, it would be easier not having to thing about the order of starting equipment. 

(In my specific case, the order changes because: Sometimes "movies" is the first thing which is selected. Then the kodi machine starts and AVR starts at the same time (but isn't ready yet when kodi machine tries to use HDMI). Occasionally the first thing selected was "radio", which turns on the AVR but leaves kodi machine off. Later on, the boss (GF) wants to watch a movie. This was where things got messed up).
GUI Sounds: confirmed, they work 100% of the time. Even if the incorrect HDMI has been selected.

Both ports show as:
ALSA: HDA NVidia, DON DENON-AVRHD on HDMI
ALSA: HDA NVidia, HDMI

Confirmed, the first time after Getedid Create, the movie was playing (Kodi machine started BEFORE Avr). Doing a reboot, movies don't have audio anymore.

Getedid Delete came with an error and I had to reboot again.
GUI: Audio, Movies: No Audio

Went to Settings and corrected audio passthrough again.
Movies: Audio

I did a [grep ": connected" /var/log/Xorg.0.log | head -n 1] all the time, but my DFP-2 doesn't change to a different number (what I suspected before)... Therefore what your script is trying to do is probably correct. But the result might not be what is necessary to fix the issue.

The only difference I can find each time is the order of the HDMI ports in the GUI.
At one time "ALSA: HDA NVidia, DON DENON-AVRHD on HDMI" is above the empty port, but at another time it's below the empty port.
That's the only difference I can see.

Is that something you can work with? I'm too unfamiliar with Linux/kodi/libreelec to troubleshoot it deeper.
(2019-03-05, 16:18)Banzi Wrote: Getedid Delete came with an error and I had to reboot again.

Which error? Please be more specifiic

I'll see if I can get it managed to put my main Desktop machine to the living roon. That's the only machine in my house which has a NVidia GPU. So I can test myself. Might take a while probably as I'm not sure if I will get it managed today.
The error was:
Job for xorg.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status xorg.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
(2019-03-06, 12:22)Banzi Wrote: See "systemctl status xorg.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Have you done those commands afterwards and if so, can you please get me the output?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Delete unwanted HDMI output0