Kodi as a replacement for Logitech Media Server?
Sad 
Hello,

I have been running Logitech Media Server on Debian Linux for 10+ years with no problems until my Squeezebox player died. I replaced the Squeezebox with an Onkyo TX-8270 receiver, which has DLNA/UPnP compatibility, hoping to run the LMS DLNA/UPnP bridge but I found it to be too flakey.

So, my question is, will Kodi be a good replacement for Logitech Media Server? 

Most of my collection is CDs ripped to WAV with a cue sheet, but I also have WAV downloads up to 24-bit 192 kHz, along with some MP3, FLAC, and AIFF.

Thanks!
I had to look up 'Logitech Media Server' and from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server it looks like a whole world that has passed me by, probably because of the proprietary hardware. The only incongruity I could see was Kodi doesn't transcode, (audio as an add-on) and most of the software will be incompatible between each. I've been playing around with Kodi for ~8 years coming from a MS media player background and found this program was easy to get into and ramps up to your abilities even becoming a doorway to programming code to various depths. The community here has been great with support and understanding, this is not a commercial product with paid operators; so support is strictly from the community volunteers with various skill levels. Developers are on board, but we like to handle issues so they can iron out the future roadmap, they do investigate the bug tracker reports.

So in all, why not try it out, and if you find it will suit you; don't get serious until you get a handle on the functionality and have spent a bit of time onboard the forum.
You can always try Kodi, as it's free for you to try. But my answer, as a 15+ years Kodi/XBMC and Squeezebox user, is that no, you won't get what LMS does with Kodi.

My advice to you is to look into a Raspberry Pi used as a Squeezebox player. Check here for info: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea...erry-board
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
If you want to play around with it (no promises it will still work). I have a LMS running myself but I haven't used it for a VERY long time. Since I set that up, I used Kodi and the XSqueeze addon on multiple devices:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:XSqueeze

Was a PITA to get all in sync, but it worked nice in the end Wink
I run Subsonic for myself as a personal music server. I also run Emby as well as Plex for Video content.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Thanks for the responses everyone!

At the moment I am continuing to use LMS and I'm also in touch with the developer of the UPnP/DLNA bridge for LMS.

Basically, it works well except when the Onkyo receiver goes into standby. If that happens then LMS doesn't reconnect to it, I have to power cycle the receiver...
(2019-02-27, 21:31)bry Wrote: I run Subsonic for myself as a personal music server. I also run Emby as well as Plex for Video content.
+1 

Kodi is a really a client only (media-player that is directly connected via HDMI to a TV and plays and shows streamed or local media), it is not designed to be used as a server which serves media to other clients over the network.

The keyword here is "server", so suggest that you instead check out media servers like; Plex Media Server, Emby Media Server, and Subsonic media server.

I have not used Logitech Media Server myself, but unless you are looking for a jack-of-all-trades media server (in which case Plex Media Server is OK) then Subsonic is just as close as a 1-to-1 replacement that you will get.

PS: There are also several forks of and alternatives to Subsonic out there, all which basically does the same thing but with their own twist; like example; Airsonic, Libresonic, Madsonic, Ampache, Sonerezh, and CherryMusic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi as a replacement for Logitech Media Server?0