Does XBMC for Windows use internal or external codecs?
...or learn to program C++ yourself and submit a patch Rolleyes
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Appendix_D:_...ment_Notes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I am very pleased with the XBMC Windows port. I have used the XBMC for my 4 xbox systems for quite a long time and it is definitely the way to go for streaming of standard DVDs and divx/xvid movies. My questions are as follows:

Does the latest Alpha that I just installed support the Nvidia PureVideo system or will Purevideo just do the acceleration on its on?

Is there anything I can do about the XBMC just crashing randomly whenever I scan manually for movie information?

Is there a way to make 1080p video full screen instead of stretching the video by using the 14:9 stretch mode to fill it up? I thought the whole point of 16:9 widescreen systems was to allow the video to match the source video which is normally shot in that mode.

Will there ever be a 64 bit version of the XBMC Windows? This might be why the system crashes I am thinking, but I would love to know what you think.

Last thing, is there going to be a way to integrate SABnzb into XBMC somehow. It would be great to be able to monitor queue status into XBMC.

I appreciate all the hard work you put in the program, I never thought I would switch from KMplayer with such a diverse ability to play all media, but XBMC with the DVD boxart and complete video store look just makes it all worth it. I love your product!!

Thank you again.
nubian122 Wrote:Does the latest Alpha that I just installed support the Nvidia PureVideo system or will Purevideo just do the acceleration on its on?

I love your product!!

ROFL, this is getting ridiculous.

There will never be "purevideo"/DXVA/DSHOW support in XBMC EVER! (i hope we get some hw decoding soon though, possibly via OpenGL/GLSL)

XBMC is not a product either, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software

I'd recommend Mediaportal over XBMC atm, as it crashes a lot less, works great with a ton of remotes, has DXVA/DSHOW support and also has SABnzb support (and also has support for media cards/devices).

As for 64bit binaries, i don't think the benefits would be worth the effort.

Note: One feature i can't live without and one that XBMC pioneered back in the xbox days.. on the fly playback from stored rar files - best feature ever (Go XBMC!).
MonkeyRoach Wrote:I wish i could use xbmc now instead waiting on a fix on something it should of been doing in the first place.

ShockedRoflStareAngry-you have got to be kidding me dude-did you actually read any of this thread?
Love the work XBMC team, but what really gets me is the only reason to use XBMC on a computer over an XBOX is for HD content. and the fact that XBMC for the PC isn't optimized for HD means that there is no point to switch over to a PC.

i guess there are a few reasons to move over to a PC but HD was the biggest problem with the XBOX and anyone moving over to watch HD content with XBMC has to have a fairly fast computer especially since no off-loading goes to the GPU.

i guess im just bitching but i was hoping to have the same experience of XBMC as i had on the XBOX. there are quite a few issues the biggest one is the HD and the second biggest one is the remote control functionally(where is the native 360 remote support?)

needless to say you guys did a great job on the port!!! now it is time to get HD and control ironed out.
on1yalad Wrote:the second biggest one is the remote control functionally(where is the native 360 remote support?)

When Windows adds NATIVE support for this remote, supporting it wont be hard. BUT...

I don't see any reason to give 1 remote this exclusive treatment even if it happened to enjoy NATIVE support in Windows, and then we are back at square 1, a generic system for remotes.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

on1yalad Wrote:Love the work XBMC team, but what really gets me is the only reason to use XBMC on a computer over an XBOX is for HD content. and the fact that XBMC for the PC isn't optimized for HD means that there is no point to switch over to a PC.

XBOX power limited to the CPU on it nothing you can do about it
PC you can get faster CPU that decodes HD stuff fine without GPU help etc.

my dual core system has no problem playing back HD content.
Smile 
Hey guys,

Recently moved to here from the other xbmc forums (a keen xbox xbmc fan).

I was very excited to see it ported to XP, as I had given up for a while (i found media portal slow, laggy, and a wee bit tacky). So when I saw this I went woo! Let's try it out! Impressive!- Very slick menus as on the xbox, very very quick to boot and looks lovely on my vaio screen.

I do plan one day to build an HTPC and get an HD telly for this.

It is funny to see some of the responses though, I mean, my appreciation levels and surprise are high, because I've only just seen this and it's been around for what, a couple of months? 3 months? But it does make me gasp how rude people can be saying things like 'this should be a priority' 'this is top of the list' dont advertise it as a 'product' and then have it not be streamlined for HD playback. It's not like this is a paid-for software that you get off a store shelf and it dissapoints you. This is free! I'm personally greatful for the music side of things working so well, I'm definitely gonna use it for music on my laptop.

My personal opinion, I don't know how much work would be involved for xbmc to be able to make use of external codecs for h.264 (it probably wasn't in the original design spec), but it does seem a bit of a shame not to be able to use them.

I understand the developers are probably proud of it being a standalone all-in-one software and want to stand by that, I respect that, but to me it does seem to make little sense not to at least include as an option. Maybe there's more to implementing that than I realise (I'm not a programmer).

However, I am very happy with waht I see so far, it's fantastic stuff.
Up yours media portal! :p I could do without it's tack anyway :p

Pants
hello all ,

does anyone know if xbmc use internal codecs ? or like MCE , that we can changed the codecs like we want .

thx
moshelog
you cannot change the codecs.
so why it looks bad , while on mce i see perfect .

i relly liked how xbmc look like , and relly despointed that the codecs does not give me the quality that i want .

first quastion is what codecs does xbmc use ?
second quastion is - u think in the next build they gonna change or update
the codecs ?

thx for reply
moshelog
XBMC uses libmpeg2 and ffmpeg for video decoding. reason for that is to keep the platform compatibility (Linux, Mac, Win32, Xbox).
ffmpeg is compiled from their svn (June this year?) and might be updated sooner or later.
Still think it would be nice for us not to have to splash out on a new PC, and instead provide the option for users to use external codecs..

ho-hum...

Sad
WiSo Wrote:XBMC uses libmpeg2 and ffmpeg for video decoding. reason for that is to keep the platform compatibility (Linux, Mac, Win32, Xbox).
ffmpeg is compiled from their svn (June this year?) and might be updated sooner or later.

How is the decoding quality comparing to other commercial software decoders ?

I heard some experts said ffmpeg still has artifacts when decoding VC-1, the mpeg2 decoding is less perfect than dscaler with IVTC. Also when video clock is not 100% the same as audio clock, ffmpeg might drop frame to keep sync.

Since XBMC is open source, it is always possible to write a complete new player which could utilize third party codec and do bitstream via HDMI 1.3.

This might even be more cost effective or easier than trying to improve ffmpeg itself.

If such player come into fruit, it will surely benefit a lot of user with slow CPU and cheap mobos.
ROFL can someone lock this thread? I have never seen such stupidity gathered in one place..

Edit: Was this thread merged numerous times, or are the XBMC users, that ungrateful?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC for Windows use internal or external codecs?0