• 4(current)
Video stretched on Phillips TV after update
I have the same issue with 55PUS7334 so I'm guessing the whole PUS73x4 series if not all Phillips TVs with android 8 or 9 have this issue. Can someone confirm that on Android 9 (new models) other applications like netflix, amazon work correctly? I'm not a subscriber.
People report that the Plex app works fine so there must be a solution for this. Was there a new setting introduced in Android 8/9 that would need to be implemented in Kodi?
I just tested plex player and it works fine. I am on the latest available firmware. TPM191E_R.001.001.114.002
(2019-11-26, 16:58)cerarp Wrote: I have the same issue with 55PUS7334 so I'm guessing the whole PUS73x4 series if not all Phillips TVs with android 8 or 9 have this issue. Can someone confirm that on Android 9 (new models) other applications like netflix, amazon work correctly? I'm not a subscriber.
People report that the Plex app works fine so there must be a solution for this. Was there a new setting introduced in Android 8/9 that would need to be implemented in Kodi?
I have a 2019 "The One NOT to watch" 65PUS7304, with Android 9 (Pie), and latest software update, as mentioned. Netflix, Youtube, Prime Video, BBC, etc etc And Plex do NOT have an issue. Also the native android player shows the correct aspect ratio when casting from PC or phone. Also playing from USB/Network, no problems.

Kodi has the issue, but I changed the main aspect ratio setting in KODI to 16:9, works great. In fact, every decent app is either equipped with some kind of aspect ratio setting, or hasn't got any issues. The only video app I've come across that lacks both is Nova video Player, AKA Archos Video Player. This seriously was a great app (Nova), but the aspect ratio is totally off, with no possibility to change it within the app.

I think that it's all 2019 Philips TV's.. I've read similar issues regarding Sony TV's, also Android.
In fact...

ANYONE WHO READS THIS AND HAS OR KNOWS A 2019 MODEL PHILIPS TV WITHOUT THIS ISSUE.. PLEASE LET ME KNOW RIGHT AWAY.

I can still return my TV. But I have Ambilight TV's for I guess more then 15 years, and I can't - want to do - without.

If you want to sure.
Install "Nova video Player" from the Play store on your TV.
Play a video with dimensions such as 1920x800, where the height can be lower. I can probably provide a link for downloading a movie for testing purposes, via mail.
In that app there's no way of changing the aspect ratio. So when you see a correct aspect ratio, I want to know what TV you have. And I hope its still for sale.... And not too expensive haha.

My previous TV, Android 8 Philips TV didn't have this issue. Shame that after 2.5 years the screen panel broke down, and a replacement panel is no longer available. Philips gave me a credit payment.

Let me know..
Thanks in advance
I have an LG tv with a 4k firestick and I was having a weird issue where 1080 x 800 was getting stretched taller.  In the Kodi Picture settings i changed "minimize black bars" option from a value of 20 to zero and it seems to have resolved the stretching.   I very recently updated to 18.5 kodi and that is when i noticed it the first time.  

Different TV and different android box and I never had the stretching issue with the minimize black bars set at 20.
Seems to me to be a kodi bug with the mediacodec (surface) hardware api.

Only when the pixel mode is "Surface" in the output overlay, I have this problem with my Phillips.

It went away when I disabled mediacodec (surface) hw acceleration.
I could still keep mediacodec (non-surface) hw acceleration though, then I have the stuttering problem.
Same issue here with my Philips 55OLED804, latest FW and latest Kodi.. where do i find general aspect ratio setting? I have to switch to 16:9 for every movie, very annoying... Also i cannot find the minimize black bars setting, where is it?
Hello, I am a big fan of Kodi. I was using it on an android box with my old tv and it was working fine.

Now that I have a new Philips android tv, I have installed Kodi directly on my tv which is much more responsive than my old android box. Like you guys, I have encountered some ratio issue.

(2019-04-06, 17:57)fritsch Wrote: The best way to workaround broken firmware is patching the native player instead of fixing the root cause ... that logic makes no sense.
I am not sure that this is Philips firmware issue as you are suggesting. For me all other apps don't have any ratio issue (Netflix, YouTube, MxPlayer...). And I would be very surprised that Google has implemented in YouTube a workaround just for the Philips tv. As Google is making the standard with their OS, they are more like to implement their apps as per the standard. Also, it would mean that all the other apps have implemented a work around for the Philips tv. Not impossible but fill very unlikely.

I have also another issue with Kodi that might be related to the same problem: the display is not properly recognized. In the information in Kodi, the display is described as 1920x1080 60Hz whereas it is a 4K display. In the display setting in Kodi I have only one possibility 1920x1080 60Hz, nothing else, no 4K, no 24Hz, no 50Hz… When I play a 4K video, the display is set to 1920x1080 60Hz (can be seen while switching aspect ratio with the z key). Also, even if in the settings “Adjust display refresh rate to match video” is turn on, the refresh rate always remains 60Hz.

In YouTube, when playing a 4K even if the biterate is not so good, I can tell that is displayed in 4k.

Maybe the hardware is not properly identified in Kodi and that is why we have those issues with the aspect ratio, the resolution and the refresh rate.

What is your point of view? Any other clues?
Lot of questions and great analysis by 000gui but is seems that noone of Kodi developers is not interested to correct this issue in Kodi for us Android users.
(2020-01-07, 15:27)000gui Wrote: Hello, I am a big fan of Kodi. I was using it on an android box with my old tv and it was working fine.

Now that I have a new Philips android tv, I have installed Kodi directly on my tv which is much more responsive than my old android box. Like you guys, I have encountered some ratio issue.

(2019-04-06, 17:57)fritsch Wrote: The best way to workaround broken firmware is patching the native player instead of fixing the root cause ... that logic makes no sense.
I am not sure that this is Philips firmware issue as you are suggesting. For me all other apps don't have any ratio issue (Netflix, YouTube, MxPlayer...). And I would be very surprised that Google has implemented in YouTube a workaround just for the Philips tv. As Google is making the standard with their OS, they are more like to implement their apps as per the standard. Also, it would mean that all the other apps have implemented a work around for the Philips tv. Not impossible but fill very unlikely.

I have also another issue with Kodi that might be related to the same problem: the display is not properly recognized. In the information in Kodi, the display is described as 1920x1080 60Hz whereas it is a 4K display. In the display setting in Kodi I have only one possibility 1920x1080 60Hz, nothing else, no 4K, no 24Hz, no 50Hz… When I play a 4K video, the display is set to 1920x1080 60Hz (can be seen while switching aspect ratio with the z key). Also, even if in the settings “Adjust display refresh rate to match video” is turn on, the refresh rate always remains 60Hz.

In YouTube, when playing a 4K even if the biterate is not so good, I can tell that is displayed in 4k.

Maybe the hardware is not properly identified in Kodi and that is why we have those issues with the aspect ratio, the resolution and the refresh rate.

What is your point of view? Any other clues?   
Your tv doesn't implement the Display Mode API that Google released since Android Nougat.
If so then Kodi will switch the frame-rate and resolution accordingly for each video if auto frame-rate switching is turned on.
Kodi runs in 1080p resolution on all devices that have a 1080p framebuffer, while videos can switch to 4K only.
The Phillips tv uses too old soc to run the UI(framebuffer) in 4K resolution so only video playback is in 4K with it's own apps, not Kodi since it uses it's own standards and Kodi can't do workarounds for 10 million different Android devices. Kodi only follows Google's standards so it can work correctly on 99% of devices that implement standards correctly.
The Nvidia Shield is currently the only Android devices that runs the UI in 4K resolution, more devices will be available later this year from Amlogic and Rockchip that also runs the UI in 4K.
Ask Phillips to fix their firmware and release an update.

It's never a good idea to buy a tv because of it's OS, you buy a tv for it's picture quality and attach a removable Android media player to it that you can replace and update.
Buy a cheap media player like S905X3 that runs CoreELEC and all your videos will play perfect.
Can no one look at this problem? Is there really no one working on Kodi Android?
I am a developer and I have a TV with the aspect ration problem so I can try to fix it, the problem is I have only ever developed software in windows environment and I really don't have the time to learn and to set up a Linux Virtual box and all the requirements to build Kodi for Android just for this.
I have experience developing in multiple languages and for multiple platforms including Android and I will gladly put some time in to fixing the issue if someone can provide me with a bootable image with all the required tools and drivers that I can copy to a USB drive and run from there. A virtual box image is fine also (even better) or a Docker setup if it can be copied (I haven't used it before).
(2020-01-10, 22:10)cerarp Wrote: Is there really no one working on Kodi Android?

Nope.  There are possibly two (at best) android developers and one of them has already said he is back at his full time job and won't be available until Christmas 2020....
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-01-10, 22:57)black_eagle Wrote: Nope.  There are possibly two (at best) android developers and one of them has already said he is back at his full time job and won't be available until Christmas 2020.... 

Can you provide an image of a development environment that I can use to try to fix this?
I will be happy to contribute on other issues also as I love Kodi and would hate to have to change to a different player.
(2020-01-11, 16:18)cerarp Wrote:
(2020-01-10, 22:57)black_eagle Wrote: Nope.  There are possibly two (at best) android developers and one of them has already said he is back at his full time job and won't be available until Christmas 2020.... 

Can you provide an image of a development environment that I can use to try to fix this?
I will be happy to contribute on other issues also as I love Kodi and would hate to have to change to a different player. 
Did you receive image of development environment? I mean, you could already build your own till today, right? Thanks for trying to enhance KODI and correct outstanding issues, I am hoping you will fix this AR issue.
(2020-01-23, 13:14)Stile35 Wrote:
(2020-01-11, 16:18)cerarp Wrote:

Did you receive image of development environment? I mean, you could already build your own till today, right? Thanks for trying to enhance KODI and correct outstanding issues, I am hoping you will fix this AR issue. 

I have not received it? I was about to try setting up Docker today. If you have an image I can use to build Kodi for Android (bootable usb drive image or VirtualBox image or Docker setup) it would definitely save me time.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stretched on Phillips TV after update1