No HDR passthrough, tone-mapping parameters not being saved (Leia)
I have checked it out briefly and see no issue.
I too have results:

v.19 nightly with iso's using Windows and complete chain is 4k.
Changed from pixel shaders to DXVA and copied OP's settings during playback for one video #1.

Opened a different video #2.
New settings were not applied as expected.

Changed settings to completely different from #1 for this video #2.
Closed Kodi and open again.
Settings for #1 still present as expected.
Settings for #2 still present as expected.
Settings for each video #1 and #2 (which are different settings from each other) retained.

Play #3 video.
Retained default settings as expected.

Play #4 video.
Changed settings to different than #1, #2, and #3.  #3 never had any changes made and is default.
Apply to all videos selected and saved.
Closed Kodi.
Rebooted.
Open Kodi.
All videos with custom settings #1, #2, and #4 play at default settings.

Conclusion - Settings do survive opening and closing Kodi but not a reboot.

OP can provide logs if he chooses.  I'm just confirming.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10/1903 MPC-BE\HC PDVD19 DVDFab3 KODI 19 PotPlayer 960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop=60Hz/Video=Matched Refresh rates 8bit/65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
Thanks for confirming at least one part of the problem. This is a good indication something needs to be fixed.
There's nothing else to confirm?  Kodi is never going to passthrough HDR.  That would require private API's by GPU manufactures for all platforms and require specific GPU's per build.  Windows HDR has to be manually enabled for video and disabled when using the desktop.  The HDR metadata is not passed to display level either.  That leaves HDR to SDR providing the most reasonable result.  Adjusting tone map settings on a per movie basis is a pretty big leap forward considering HDR is still in its infancy.  We have discovered that these tone map settings survive a Kodi restart but not a reboot.  I suggest you provide a debug log to start the process of addressing.  I'm fairly certain it will be addressed by the one lone Windows dev taking interest in HDR as well as a myriad of other things out of the kindness of his heart from the other side of the world whos native language isn't even English, rather... code.
W10/1903 MPC-BE\HC PDVD19 DVDFab3 KODI 19 PotPlayer 960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop=60Hz/Video=Matched Refresh rates 8bit/65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
(2019-05-28, 21:37)brazen1 Wrote: There's nothing else to confirm?  Kodi is never going to passthrough HDR.  That would require private API's by GPU manufactures for all platforms and require specific GPU's per build.  Windows HDR has to be manually enabled for video and disabled when using the desktop.  The HDR metadata is not passed to display level either.  That leaves HDR to SDR providing the most reasonable result.  Adjusting tone map settings on a per movie basis is a pretty big leap forward considering HDR is still in its infancy.  We have discovered that these tone map settings survive a Kodi restart but not a reboot.  I suggest you provide a debug log to start the process of addressing.  I'm fairly certain it will be addressed by the one lone Windows dev taking interest in HDR as well as a myriad of other things out of the kindness of his heart from the other side of the world whos native language isn't even English, rather... code.
Nothing else to confirm? Well, so far this is it. Although I never asked for a movie-per-movie setting rather than a changeable default setting. So far, all my movies look just fine with the same tone-mapping parameter, so if only that could be changed, I'd be a happy camper. I do want to respond to the "kindness of the heart/volunteers/huge userbase"-issue. Sure enough I do understand and sympathise with that. However, most people cannot translate their issues into something on the same level as a coder. A coder needs to understand what he's written, needs to know which part of his sourcecode is responsible for whatever bug. Or at least try to find out which part it is. Otherwise you have no business being a programmer/coder/developer/whatever title and simply call it quits.

Understand this: the group of people who are using Kodi are so-called end-users. That is the technical term for people who are not as computer-savvy as the programmers and basicvally simply install it with standard settings. So there is an unavoidable need for someone who can translate people's problems into code-problems. Don't have it? Then your project is doomed. You will end up with a piece of software that has gotteen too complex for a normal end-user to understand. That's why I referred to "[email protected]^" and daylight-deprived mancaves. You NEED to stay in touch with your focusgroup.

The matter is simple. Utterly and utterly simple. TWO settings need to be saved, regardless of Windows reboots, crashes, meteor-strikes etc. Even I can make a program out of nothing and make it STORE 2 (not 2,000) variables. AND have them read at each start of the program.

Babysteps here. First, just find a way to save them. You can always see later if you can save them for each movie separately. You could even store those settings in the advancedsettings.xml or wherever you want.

Okay. that's one issue. The HDR... Well, if you cannot keep up with the rest, you'll lose. Simple as that. No HDR-output=doomed. I cxertainly hope not. But even Kodi for Android cannot do the job, even when installed right onto a 4K HDR capable smart TV! Proprietary GUI? Different for each GPU? So, how did the good people behind MadVR manage to pull it off? No hassle there. Install it, run it alongside MPC-HC and voila, you got HDR. Has anyone tried that? Or tried to find out why MadVR pulls it of and how? I would definately have contacted that programmer.

Now about the mentality: If I were to hear a problem about my code, I would pay attention to it instead of trying to raise a wall in front of anyone trying to address it.  It just makes people feel like they're dealing with city-hall civil servants instead of real people. You want feedback? A better Kodi? Treat them like people, not numbers.
I'm not going to provide any debug-log or anything. I got Kodi running reeasonably well for the most part except the 4K-HDR thing and just like most Kodi users there are add-ons in it of which I know "void" any support. Whether or not these addons influence the storage of settings doesn't matter. I've read too many responses of developers saying "sorry, we're not going to deal with your issue because you're using unsupported add-ons". Very much like what Microsoft would say. Disappointing coming from programming volunteers straight out of the "barely legal downloading era" So, pointless 'cause I already know the answer and I really don't want a whole discussion about that. The fact is, I have installed Kodi many times on different computers and different videocards and literally none of them were able to store their HDR settings. And I mean fresh installs, fresh windows, updated drivers, the whole 12 yards, without add-ons. Same result every time.

You know, it's one thing to build a program like Kodi in theory. It's a whole other thing testing it in real world. If you write a program that's dealing with 4K/HDR, you ought to have the proper equipment to test it as well. On a clean Windows, updated drivers etc just as I did. If your native language is not English but code I suggest taking a language-course. I know the stereotype of a programmer all too well. Never gets out, socially awkward, gets no daylight, vitamin deficiency, talks in 1337-speak and so on. If that's true, then don't hang out on a forum where you can't handle the heat.

By the way, I said: "partially confirmed". Kodi did lose the settings after a Windows reboot but also after a simple Kodi restart. Maybe it has something to do with the library/database. More movies, bigger database, more prone to errors?
You say you have the issue while a Kodi member doesn't have it. So it's up to you to assist the devs to replicate it or to fix it.

Instead of wasting 15mins of writing this wall of text you could have reported it 2-3x to where it belongs.

-> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/new?..._report.md plus debug log
(2019-05-29, 12:15)sualfred Wrote: You say you have the issue while a Kodi member doesn't have it. So it's up to you to assist the devs to replicate it or to fix it.

Instead of wasting 15mins of writing this wall of text you could have reported it 2-3x to where it belongs.

-> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/new?..._report.md plus debug log
Apparently you don't even take 5 minutes to read up on it. Otherwise you would have seen a whole different conclusion.
What is a reasonable solution to play HDR content on a Windows PC running Kodi?  I just got a LG 65C9 a couple of days ago and was very disappointed how poorly the 4k HDR videos displayed with Kodi.  I fire up VLC and they look great.  I have seen madVR mentioned but that looks like a lot of work to get configured.
Kodi: Gigabyte GA-B75M, i3 IvyB 3.4ghz, 8gig ram, m4 Crucial SSD, Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
Storage: Synology DS2415+, TheCUS N5550 running DSM 6.2 via Jun's loader
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-1121K, Pronto TSU-9400 remote
Software: Win 10 x64, Eventghost
HDR plays and looks very good on Kodi?  As a matter of fact, you'd be hard pressed to notice any huge differences using another player including those in conjunction with madVR imo.  Kodi does convert HDR to SDR however but again, in a blind test I'd bet 75% of users or more wouldn't notice any difference HDR passed through or converted.  That said, I use external players with and without madVR depending on the environment and mood of the viewing because I am one of the 25% or less users.  Here's an example of Kodi v.19 HDR to SDR on a 3 yr old Samsung with no special anything.  Clicking the screenshot a couple times will bring it into fullscreen.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDR passthrough, tone-mapping parameters not being saved (Leia)51