Ubuntu 18.04 + intel i7-9700K + Intel UHD Graphics 630 = no HW acceleration - why?
I tried installing Ubuntu 18.04 today on a system with Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Intel i7-9700K CPU) and could not get any form or hardware acceleration to work. When I installed and ran vainfo, I got this:

libva info: VA-API version 1.1.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_1
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

The i965_drv_video.so file does exist, and I tried a bunch of things including upgrading the BIOS (Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI board) to the latest, all without success. Any ideas as to what I have to do to get rid of this error so hardware acceleration will work?

I know you like a Debug Log but I don't even have Kodi installed at this point as I have reinstalled the OS about a dozen times trying to get this to work, so I know I have to solve this first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Nobody knows ... might be permission issue (not member of video group) or something else. With the information provided no one can help.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-03-04, 08:21)fritsch Wrote: Nobody knows ... might be permission issue (not member of video group) or something else. With the information provided no one can help.
 I just love how you jump in and answer questions that YOU don't know the answer to by saying "Nobody knows" and that "no one can help."  You're making some mighty big assumptions there, but possibly the most arrogant one is that no one is smarter than you and therefore there is no possibility that anyone else can answer the OP's question.  What you forget is that it's entirely possible that someone else has had this exact same issue, and knows the answer, or at least could give the OP a better pointer than some vague wild ass guess.

There are times when if one does not know the answer to a question asked, it would be better to keep one's fingers off the damn keyboard.  No one person is required to post an answer to every question asked by a user, and if a person has nothing of value to contribute, then maybe no answer should be posted.  It's highly doubtful that it's a permissions issue, since the OP says he reinstalled the OS several times, and I seriously doubt Ubuntu is installing with permissions errors affecting video drivers (or whatever's causing his issues).  If we're going to take wild ass guesses here, mine would be that his hardware is too new to be supported by the version(s) of Ubuntu he's attempted to install, but if that is the case I don't know how to resolve that issue, because I don't know if there is any version of Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) that would support that hardware yet.
@"xbmclinuxuser" 

So you don't have a solution as well? Did I get that right? You are simply saying that it might be possible, that none of the linux distros you know are capable to run that hardware. So you didn't tell more than fritsch has done. At least fritsch asked (indirectly) for more information. If the OP doesn't know which information to provide, he could simply ask.
(2019-03-04, 10:28)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: There are times when if one does not know the answer to a question asked, it would be better to keep one's fingers off the damn keyboard. 

Why haven't you done that ^^ as well if you attack staff not doing that?

We might probably need dmesg and/or uname -a and probably others (thinking of journalctl -a or also  cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log in a paste)
(2019-03-04, 10:28)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2019-03-04, 08:21)fritsch Wrote: Nobody knows ... might be permission issue (not member of video group) or something else. With the information provided no one can help.
 I just love how you jump in and answer questions that YOU don't know the answer to by saying "Nobody knows" and that "no one can help."  You're making some mighty big assumptions there, but possibly the most arrogant one is that no one is smarter than you and therefore there is no possibility that anyone else can answer the OP's question.  What you forget is that it's entirely possible that someone else has had this exact same issue, and knows the answer, or at least could give the OP a better pointer than some vague wild ass guess.

There are times when if one does not know the answer to a question asked, it would be better to keep one's fingers off the damn keyboard.  No one person is required to post an answer to every question asked by a user, and if a person has nothing of value to contribute, then maybe no answer should be posted.  It's highly doubtful that it's a permissions issue, since the OP says he reinstalled the OS several times, and I seriously doubt Ubuntu is installing with permissions errors affecting video drivers (or whatever's causing his issues).  If we're going to take wild ass guesses here, mine would be that his hardware is too new to be supported by the version(s) of Ubuntu he's attempted to install, but if that is the case I don't know how to resolve that issue, because I don't know if there is any version of Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) that would support that hardware yet. 
 Ah my friend again. The guy with the time to write a wall of text, but not clue how to start a debugger :-) - Nice to see you are fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
What information do you need?  Any commands I can run that will tell me what is going on?
Support for the GPU on the i7-9700k was added in intel-vaapi-driver 2.3.0. Ubuntu 18.04 has version 2.1.0. 18.10 has version 2.2.0. The upcoming Ubuntu 19.04 has 2.3.0 for intel-vaapi-driver-shaders or it also has the newer replacement intel-media-driver. If you want this for 18.04, you're going to have to manually backport the newer drivers and libva. Someone might already have a PPA that's done this. Otherwise, it's going to be a mess if you don't know what you're doing.

Edit: Looks like this ppa upgraded it for 18.10, but not 18.04. You can try upgrading to 18.10 and then using that PPA to upgraded the VAAPI drivers, or upgrade to the dev release of 19.04. The first is probably safer if you don't know what you're doing. The beta of 19.04 won't be out until the end of the month.
As you already tried cross-posting: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2413911 in the right forum.

Start with: 

Quote:DISPLAY=:0 vainfo | pastebinit
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit
id | pastebinit
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit

after running:
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver

depending on all the output you can decide to manually compile libva and its driver which is not rockec science as it is backwards compatible.
sorry for got to quote.
(2019-03-05, 01:21)yasij Wrote: Support for the GPU on the i7-9700k was added in intel-vaapi-driver 2.3.0. Ubuntu 18.04 has version 2.1.0. 18.10 has version 2.2.0. The upcoming Ubuntu 19.04 has 2.3.0 for intel-vaapi-driver-shaders or it also has the newer replacement intel-media-driver. If you want this for 18.04, you're going to have to manually backport the newer drivers and libva. Someone might already have a PPA that's done this. Otherwise, it's going to be a mess if you don't know what you're doing.

Edit: Looks like this ppa upgraded it for 18.10, but not 18.04. You can try upgrading to 18.10 and then using that PPA to upgraded the VAAPI drivers, or upgrade to the dev release of 19.04. The first is probably safer if you don't know what you're doing. The beta of 19.04 won't be out until the end of the month.
 The Biggest THANK YOU to you, your post was invaluable to me.  Thanks to your post I got it working after 3 days of beating my head against the wall.

Thank you again SO MUCH!!!!
Quote:So you don't have a solution as well? Did I get that right? You are simply saying that it might be possible, that none of the linux distros you know are capable to run that hardware. So you didn't tell more than fritsch has done. At least fritsch asked (indirectly) for more information.

The problem is that fritsch always asks for more information, and often it's information that users either don't know how to provide, or simply don't want to provide for various reasons.  In some cases, when users post about problems, they aren't necessarily hoping to hear from members of the Kodi development team, because they may be able to get more pertinent help from another user that has experienced the same issue.  But then along comes fritsch making a grand statement line, "With the information provided no one can help."  And as it turned out, in this case that wasn't true at all - another user was able to provide the OP with just the help he needed - and without asking for any additional information.

Basically I was just expressing the opinion that if a developer doesn't know the answer, maybe they should pause and give others a chance to help, rather than jumping in and demanding that a user provide additional information or declaring a question unanswerable.  This sort of thing rarely if ever happens in other forums I participate in, but it happens in this forum all the time, and mainly it's fritsch making these user-unfriendly replies.  Anyway, I'm not going to argue about it; I just happen to think that fritsch probably should do a lot less posting because his posts are quite often what make this forum the opposite of a joy to read, and make it seem like a hostile place for just regular users.
Quote:Ah my friend again. The guy with the time to write a wall of text, but not clue how to start a debugger :-)
The fact that you think any user should need to know how to start a debugger in order to ask for help shows exactly what's wrong with this forum in general, and your replies in particular.  I have reported problems to the developers of other types of software and not a single one of them has ever asked me to "start a debugger."  What on earth makes you think Kodi users should need to know that?  Kodi isn't a programmer's utility; it's an app for watching media!
The fact that you post two times in a thread where you could not contribute with your first post - shows exactly what is wrong with the way you interact in this forum. Starting a generic discussion again in someone else's thread, absolutely off-topic emphasizes on that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 18.04 + intel i7-9700K + Intel UHD Graphics 630 = no HW acceleration - why?0