No sound when Kodi restarts
I sometimes get the odd glitch which requires me to restart kodi - I use kodi-send -a "RestartApp" as a command, and if this doesn't work then systemctl restart kodi to bounce the service itself.

However, recently Kodi's been restarting without sound. Bouncing the entire OS fixes it, so my thinking is that there's some audio service that's triggered upon system startup that Kodi can use, but something's denying communication when restarting Kodi.

Kodi version: 2:18.1+git20190217.12

Kernel: 4.17.2-041702-generic
HW: (GB-BXBT-1900 / Baytrail J1900 / 6BXM33WMR-00-7S1K) - still get the occasional freeze from time to time; unable to determine what causes this.

I can post a debug log, but... is there some lines I can look for in the logfiles (kodi.log and kodi.old.log) that identify working/errors? 

I can see "Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)" in kodi.log which doesn't appear in kodi.old.log.
I for my part can't see anything in your log, especially not the one after restart. See: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2831860 :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-03-09, 15:02)fritsch Wrote: I for my part can't see anything in your log, especially not the one after restart. See: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2831860 :-)
I think that's called "hoisted by one's own petard". Doh!  Was contemplating it when I was writing the post, but was watching something and didn't want to interrupt with debug mode.

Anyhow, if that's what's needed, it'll be forthcoming - but may be a delay (off travelling again for work for next 3 weeks...). More info soon!
In short: I have an idea what happens and this is sadly not kodi related but EDID / intel driver related.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It's my feeling (OS-based issue), too. I just came to use Kodi this lunchtime and noticed no sound again.

A quick reboot and it came back, and I made a note of the running processes as the Kodi user... but I'm guessing it's OS-related.

For the moment a workaround exists and it's liveable but annoying.  I'm off to London, Dallas, Barcelona then Munich over the next coming 4 weeks so ... catch you in a month, Herr Fritsch, and thanks for the responses so far! Tschüß!
hmmm i've just discovered I now have the same issue....ie no sound when resuming from wake

Interestingly enough I am running kodi 18.1 and Ubuntu 16.04 like preacher is.

The problem seems to have started when I foolishly upgraded my kernel, and as a result I had to update my nvidia driver (using GeoForce 430). 

The only version of nvidia it works for is nvidia-340 (ugrading to nvidia-390 results in a broken x server)....the only fix (apart from a reboot) is to do a 

sudo systemctl restart kodi

reloading alsa fails

all my hdmi audio devices show up fine on resume, so i dont think its a handshake issue...ie i have never had to use the edid solution in the past

will keep investigating
I've just come to investigate this again - I don't appear to have any alsa service running upon reboot so not sure which service is failing nor which to restart to get it working.

Restarting kodi doesn't have any effect - hence I thought it was a service failure (kodi not at fault here).  The only other point I can raise is that my audio is fed through HDMI, so not sure if that's failing somehow (which could be related to the nVidia driver).

List of services (with audio working) here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/PHscZscpYN/ - anyone know which is my sound?
(2019-03-30, 14:01)Preacher Wrote: I've just come to investigate this again - I don't appear to have any alsa service running upon reboot so not sure which service is failing nor which to restart to get it working.

Restarting kodi doesn't have any effect - hence I thought it was a service failure (kodi not at fault here).  The only other point I can raise is that my audio is fed through HDMI, so not sure if that's failing somehow (which could be related to the nVidia driver).

List of services (with audio working) here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/PHscZscpYN/ - anyone know which is my sound?

ALSA isn't a service. It's kernel drivers and userspace libraries.
(2019-03-30, 16:43)yasij Wrote: ALSA isn't a service. It's kernel drivers and userspace libraries.
Yeah... perhaps I should have said "sound service" to be clearer.  I'm theorising some audio service needs to be running for Kodi to pump sound out and it's barfing so nothing's coming through from Kodi.

Any ideas? I had a command to send output to the TV speakers to test then previously, but that was for audio passthrough.
(2019-03-30, 22:46)Preacher Wrote:
(2019-03-30, 16:43)yasij Wrote: ALSA isn't a service. It's kernel drivers and userspace libraries.
Yeah... perhaps I should have said "sound service" to be clearer.  I'm theorising some audio service needs to be running for Kodi to pump sound out and it's barfing so nothing's coming through from Kodi.

Any ideas? I had a command to send output to the TV speakers to test then previously, but that was for audio passthrough.

You still haven't posted a debug log.
(2019-03-31, 03:20)yasij Wrote: You still haven't posted a debug log.
... because the current thinking is that it's not a Kodi issue, but a platform issue. 

However, I'll agree that posting one definitely establishes that fact, so I'll follow up on that once I'm back (currently out in Munich at the moment - Bavarian beer is tops.)
(2019-04-01, 22:09)Preacher Wrote:  so I'll follow up on that once I'm back
... except sound is still working, so a debug log won't show anything. Feh.  Give it another week....
WE GOT ONE! </ghostbusters>

Sound failed friday lunchtime, so did a quick debug before rebooting, and here it is: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/fp4NfwygKK/

Note: I still see CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: HTTP returned error 403 for https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/ and some thumbnails aren't showing.... curious to know if that's related.

Just to be clear: this logfile was taken when I returned to Kodi and sound had already stopped - I can take another with sound working if a comparison is needed.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
(2019-04-14, 12:03)Preacher Wrote: WE GOT ONE! </ghostbusters>

Sound failed friday lunchtime, so did a quick debug before rebooting, and here it is: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/fp4NfwygKK/

Note: I still see CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: HTTP returned error 403 for https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/ and some thumbnails aren't showing.... curious to know if that's related.

Just to be clear: this logfile was taken when I returned to Kodi and sound had already stopped - I can take another with sound working if a comparison is needed.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

From the log, you turned off debugging before playing the video. Why? Leave it on through playing the video so we can see how it opens the sound.

From what I see, kodi opens the sound device on HDMI fine at start up, but I can't see what happens when the video starts since you stopped debugging.

It is using ALSA. Pulseaudio isn't running so no sound daemon or service is needed. A comparison debug log of it working would be helpful.
(2019-04-14, 22:20)yasij Wrote: From the log, you turned off debugging before playing the video. Why? Leave it on through playing the video so we can see how it opens the sound.
Doh.  I clicked around on screen and heard no navigation sounds... didn't think about playing a video.

Okay, expect to hear from me in another month when I can capture it failing! So, to recap, if there's no sound:
  • enable debug
  • play a video without sound briefly
  • disable debug
  • upload logfile
... that right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound when Kodi restarts0