XBox HDR non available
Moved to correct forum.
Thank you Hitcher Smile
Just to add a bit of info the built in UPnP/DLNA media player of the Xbox One can output 4K videos in HDR, you can find it under Films/TV app personal/media server section or the older Xbox media player app.
It only works with the following for 4K HDR media
video = HEVC
audio = AC3
container = mkv/mp4

Nothing else works, it will default to any Dolby AC3 audio if present, if not you get nothing. Presumably Netflix and other streaming apps use the core Xbox video player which is why the above works.

I waded through the junk media players on the Xbox app store and the only other app which was able to output HDR was Plex, presumably because Plex is just a shell to the Xbox core video player and have updated their app to pass through such video to the core player. Emby which typically is the same as Plex being just a shell tries to transcode the above video to H.264.

Anyway the take away is that unless MS makes public the means to invoke HDR for apps outside the core video player the only way Kodi could do it would be to use the Xbox core video player for HDR playback but that would probably be a lot of work.
(2019-06-08, 12:08)Starstream Wrote: Just to add a bit of info the built in UPnP/DLNA media player of the Xbox One can output 4K videos in HDR, you can find it under Films/TV app personal/media server section or the older Xbox media player app.
It only works with the following for 4K HDR media
video = HEVC
audio = AC3
container = mkv/mp4

Nothing else works, it will default to any Dolby AC3 audio if present, if not you get nothing. Presumably Netflix and other streaming apps use the core Xbox video player which is why the above works.

I waded through the junk media players on the Xbox app store and the only other app which was able to output HDR was Plex, presumably because Plex is just a shell to the Xbox core video player and have updated their app to pass through such video to the core player. Emby which typically is the same as Plex being just a shell tries to transcode the above video to H.264.

Anyway the take away is that unless MS makes public the means to invoke HDR for apps outside the core video player the only way Kodi could do it would be to use the Xbox core video player for HDR playback but that would probably be a lot of work.

I’m glad I’m not the only one wishing for a better Xbox Kodi experience. From what I’ve gathered from this community, MS is standing in the way.

Any clue on rooting Xbox would make a dent? I’ve heard some can mod an Xbox to download games for free/receive free Xbox live...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBox HDR non available0