v18 Kodi v18.1 "Leia" audio settings downmix center mix level
Kodi v18.1 "Leia" OSD has some new audio controls.  OSD >> Settings >> Audio Settings >> "Downmix: Center Mix level

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the Downmix: Center Mix level. What does it do?

It's probably a setting I don't need to use but I hate not knowing what things do.

Could somebody please explain.

Thank you.
This controls the centre channel level for people who don't have an AVR, so all sound is sent as 2 channel stereo to a TV for example. When downmixing a 5.1 channel source to 2.0 then speech from the centre channel may not be so clear (when compared to AVR with dedicated centre channel speaker):when listened to on a TV. So this setting allows you to adjust the sound level of the centre channel to ensure you can clearly hear speech in the downmix to stereo scenarios.
Thank you for explaining. After looking up what an AVR is is think I understand. I don't have an AVR, just stereo. I use kodi on a PC. So there might be occasions when I need to use this setting? If I understand you correctly, the only time I might need to use this setting is if I'm streaming or playing a 5.1 source?

Once again thanks for your reply
Yes might only be needed when playing a 5.1 source if you send everything as stereo. This setting is on the OSD as different movies use different sound level mixes, so an action movie might have really loud explosions, so when downmixing these explosions may drown out speech if listening via TV speakers for example, so this allows you to adjust on a per movie basis. Note this is intended for fine adjustments, if you do exerpeice any issues with speech in 5.1 source try enabling the Maintain original volume on downmix in System -> Audio first, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/A...on_downmix
You have been very helpful. Thank you.
It is great for reducing audio comments on football games. But I want to reduce it more than 9db.
(2021-07-11, 22:10)j-m-s Wrote: But I want to reduce it more than 9db.
Put a switch on the speaker wire to turn it off, or use the playback properties in windows to knock it out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v18.1 "Leia" audio settings downmix center mix level0