What is the min CPU to software decode everything?
Question 
What would be the minimum CPU to decode everything in Software without Hardware acceleration.

The System should be connected to a 4k SDR TV. Formats it needs to play up to 4k resolution are h264, h265 and it should be able to do 1080i h264 deinterlacing (2x yadif). If resolution switching could be avoided, then it should be able to scale all that in good quality to 4k resolution. I would like to run all that with LibreELEC if that influences anything reg. hardware.

I have read the start topic, but software decoding isn‘t covered there as far as I could see.

Thanks for you support.

Regards
Vlaves
How long is a piece of string ?

1080p HEVC even 10bit might be fine with a powerful CPU package, BUT 4K - especially the regular 10bit HEVC 4K - well you are very likely to run into issues the higher the bitrates go.

Those that report CPU software decoding from this post onwards in this thread need to post source video encoding info output by the free Mediainfo program:

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

results from that need to be pasted into..

https://pastebin.com/

and then hit "Create" and paste the link in this thread.

What I can tell you is that the Apple TV 4K has the CPU ponies to do 25i/1080 h264 Broadcast TV Software decoding and YADIF2x deinterlacing.
The older Shield does not have the CPU ponies to do that combo.

4K HEVC software decoding is going to push even Intel/AMD x86 CPUs quite hard - I think you're in Core i5/i7 territory (particularly for 50/59.94p 4K HEVC) unless things have improved?  (I haven't used software decode since GPU decode became available - I don't see the need for software decode of this stuff. I DO have to software decode and software deinterlace 1080i 4:2:2 h.264 stuff as most hardware decode is 4:2:0 only - but these days I often do an offline transcode to 4:2:0 in ffmpeg)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the min CPU to software decode everything?0