Solved Unknown Sources message when installing from zip
(2019-03-16, 12:57)trogggy Wrote: some people think they're entitled to from use of a piece of free software.
Not from use of a piece of free software, from the misuse of the "personal information" being accessed. I didn't draft the indemnity, you guys did Big Grin ie you're the ones who think you need to protect yourselves from something. It isn't a question of what "some people" think they're "entitled to", it's a question as to what is anticipated that requires such an agreement and indemnity.....
(2019-03-16, 13:30)bilgepump Wrote:
(2019-03-16, 12:57)trogggy Wrote: some people think they're entitled to from use of a piece of free software.
Not from use of a piece of free software, from the misuse of the "personal information" being accessed. I didn't draft the indemnity, you guys did Big Grin ie you're the ones who think you need to protect yourselves from something. It isn't a question of what "some people" think they're "entitled to", it's a question as to what is anticipated that requires such an agreement and indemnity.....   
There isn't an indemnity. 
There's this in windows at least:
Quote:  11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY
YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER
PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
 As I understand it the 'unknown sources' disclaimer is just a 'Step outside the official repo and you're on your own' warning.  It's not a warning to protect the team, it's a warning to protect naiive users.  That's obviously trumped by Team Kodi telling you something specific is safe (or as safe as anything in the repo).
But we have no warranty, no indemnity, no claim if something goes wrong.
You're going to sue a bunch of volunteers giving you something for free?

I genuinely think you've misunderstood that warning, and are assuming rights you don't have and liabilities that aren't there.
Correct - we currate the official repo and check the stuff in it but nothing more.

But if you're using 3rd party stuff (enabled by that setting) then it's down to you to take responsibility for doing so, and to exercise suitable caution in what you install and where you get it from.

That doesn't of course stop those naiive users from doing so anyway in search of "a good deal" (ie something for free that they'd normally have to pay for), and when it blows up in their face it's somehow our fault when a moments thought and common sense should make people realise that such scenarios by nature are dodgy.

It's simply a reminder to users that they are responsible for the consequences of their actions and that we don't police or check the 3rd party stuff from the wider internet.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-03-16, 14:02)DarrenHill Wrote: It's simply a reminder
No, it really isn't. It's information that access to personal data will be given to "the add-on" and an indemnity against loss or damage in the event that the person elects "yes" to proceeding. It's got nothing to do with warranties. It's a garden-variety indemnity.
(2019-03-16, 14:46)bilgepump Wrote:
(2019-03-16, 14:02)DarrenHill Wrote: It's simply a reminder
No, it really isn't. It's information that access to personal data will be given to "the add-on" and an indemnity against loss or damage in the event that the person elects "yes" to proceeding. It's got nothing to do with warranties. It's a garden-variety indemnity. 
Your personal data is equally open to any add-on, whether installed from the official repo or not.
Team Kodi check the ones in the official repo.  They're not infallible, but you (we) can be confident we're unlikely to find anything with bad intentions installing from there.
If TK assure you that an addon not in the repo is safe you have exactly the same (non-existent) 'indemnity' as for one in the repo.
(2019-03-16, 14:52)trogggy Wrote: you have exactly the same (non-existent) 'indemnity' as for one in the repo.
The indemnity is given to Kodi by the user who accepts, not the other way around.....
Maybe Team Kodi should consider re-writing their warning.  Just for you.  You obviously think it means something different to what they think.
Neither the thread title nor its contents suggest to me why this is sorted under music support. Seems to be legal. Could you move this somewhere else?

On a sidenote, indemnity clauses in English wouldn't affect non-english spoken users as they won't be able to accurately understand what the issue and its consequences are.
Nope, we'd just consider turning off using 3rd party repos at all in such a case.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-03-16, 17:01)HeresJohnny Wrote: Neither the thread title nor its contents suggest to me why this is sorted under music support. Seems to be legal. Could you move this somewhere else?
Thread has been moved to "Kodi related discussions".
The other key point here is that nothing is sandboxed within Kodi, so anything that Kodi itself has access to, the add-on will also do so.

One of the things that are checked when add-ons are allowed into the official repo is that they aren't malicious with scripts going snooping around your hard disk and/or network. But for 3rd party add-ons no such checks are done by us, and it's entirely down to the judgement and trust the user may place in the author and site where they're getting those add-ons from.

This is why that specific warning is there, for full disclosure that it's the users responsibility to do so rather than ours if they chose to install 3rd party stuff.

And if we had a car park, we wouldn't take responsibility for loss, damage or theft from cars parked in it either Wink

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-03-16, 16:40)trogggy Wrote: Maybe Team Kodi should consider re-writing their warning.  Just for you.  You obviously think it means something different to what they think.
I have not descended into rudeness despite the rudeness and hostility directed at me. I won't start now.

Firstly, my understanding of english is not flawed. The language in the "warning" is not vague or equivocal. This is the "warning"
"Add-ons will be given access to personal data stored on this device. By allowing, you agree that you are solely responsible for any loss of data, unwanted behaviour, or damage to your device. Proceed?"

The first part is a direct statement, it is not a "might" because installing unknown software from dodgy sites might mess with your system. You are telling people that it WILL happen. It means exactly what it says and begs the questions: What access to personal data are add-ons given, specifically? What access to personal data were Ronie's add-ons being given, specifically? You've advised that add-ons are given the same access as Kodi. What access to personal data is Kodi given, specifically? Why? Where's the warning/agreement when Kodi is installed that it will be given access to personal data stored on the device? I've installed many times, and I've never clicked on anything.....

The second part of the warning is an indemnity. Here's a question that might turn the lightbulbs on:
If, as you state, you have no liability because Kodi is free software provided without warranty, why would you request or obtain an agreement to shift "sole responsibility" to the user? You say that you don't have any responsibility in the first place.... Your "warning" (indemnity) tells users that you do otherwise have liability for loss of data, unwanted behaviour or damage to a device and, if they agree, they'll be assuming sole liability (and letting you off the hook). That's what indemnities do, they shift the liability of the parties.

Maybe Team Kodi should consider taking legal advice instead of relying on what they think? (Hint: no court of law will want to hear what a computer programmer thinks it means)

Secondly, this add-on is not some third-party add-on from some dodgy source. It was posted by a Team Kodi member, with a request that people install it to test for the benefit of the project. How would "turning off 3rd party repos" affect in any way a warning associated with installing locally an add-on from a Team Kodi member? THAT's the basis on which this warning appeared. THIS IS NOT A THIRD PARTY ADD-ON. I'm ok, I wasn't "naive" enough to install it. (eye-rolling smiley)

Another suggestion: if you want help from the "community" don't be so rude and hostile all the time to the users of this forum.
(2019-03-17, 03:56)bilgepump Wrote: Firstly, my understanding of english is not flawed.
Another suggestion: if you want help from the "community" don't be so rude and hostile all the time to the users of this forum. 
And yet, on zero evidence, you persist in assuming I'm somehow something to do with the team.
This discussion is completely pointless.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thread marked solved.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unknown Sources message when installing from zip0