no audio passthrough capability
Hello,

I am  a newbee with Kodi.
I bought a Mi Box S and connected it :
- with HDMI 2.0 to a LG 4K monitor
- witk SPDIF to my antique Denon 1602 AV2 (Dolby Digital and DTS able)

I am unable to get propre Dolby Digital output of my AVR with any movie stored on a Windows shared directory on my home LAN or on locally accessed USB key
I am quite sure that during Kodi first installation on my Mi Box the passthrough option was present in audio setting screen and that I set it
But this option disapperared.
I reinstalled Kodi from scratch several times and even Android TV twice.
I read some inputs about this topic and made a log as indicated in other threads.
I try to uploas the Kodi start log hereafter

Thank you for help
Here is the log :

https://paste.kodi.tv/eruqasonuv
Some precisions :

I have Mi Box S MDS-22-AB
I deployed Kodi 18.1 that is unable to display the wanted audio passthrough options
I make my tests with a movie that is AC3 5.1 channels encoded

I made tries with Plex (lastest version form Google Play store) => Plex does not display any audio passthrough option as well as Kodi

The interesting point is that I found in Plex forums the advice that SPMC will display the wanted audio passtrhough settings.:

So I deploed SPMC v16.7-04 on the same Mi Box S, found the audio passthrough option and was able to get Dolby Digital sound with my antique AVR.
My setting were :
Mi Box S audio setting : AUTO
Denon AVR 1602 TV/DBS SPDIF input : AUTO
SPMC audio settings :
   Peripherals : Android, RAW passthough
   Channel number : 5.1

So what is wrong witk Kodi ? How does it comme that the audio passthrough is not present thus make impossible to decode properly Dolby Digital or DTS sounds encoded in  AC3 ?

I would prefer to use Kodi rather than SPMC fork but this issue is a very bad point for Kodi.
Moved to Android. Not really a Video problem.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Quote:2019-03-16 22:25:05.030 T:22803  NOTICE: Float is supported
2019-03-16 22:25:05.030 T:22803  NOTICE: Multi channel Float is supported
2019-03-16 22:25:05.300 T:22803  NOTICE: Found 1 Lists of Devices
2019-03-16 22:25:05.300 T:22803  NOTICE: Enumerated AUDIOTRACK devices:
2019-03-16 22:25:05.300 T:22803  NOTICE:     Device 1
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : AudioTrack
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : android
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: audiotrack
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL, FR, FC, LFE, SL, SR, BL, BR, BC, BLOC, BROC
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_FLOAT,AE_FMT_RAW
2019-03-16 22:25:05.301 T:22803  NOTICE:         m_streamTypes     : No passthrough capabilities

Get a proper firmware. Your box does NOT support any standard passthrough mechanisms. Ask your vendor as they broke the firmware they ship on your box. Android supports PT for many years now, but those that sold you this box did not properly implement it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello Kodi-team

I am really disappointed to read your wrong answers

I summarize here this Kodi issue description :

I have an original Mi Box S Antroid TV system (Oreao 8.1)
I connected it with HDMI 2.0 to a LG monitor and SPDIF to a Denon 1602 AVR
I deployed on this Mi Box S Kodi 18.1 version
On first deployment audio passthrough option was displayed by Kodi software and I activated it as well as 5.1 output instead 2.0. So my My Box S firmware and Android TV 8.1 seemed to support audio passrhough, at least when I deployed Kodi on it

I made lot of tests in oder to get Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 sound beind decoded by my AVVE but nothing worked fine.
I wanted to modify Kodi audio settings but Kodi audio setting disappeared.

I removed and deployed Kodi again several times : Kodi audio pasthrough setting never was diplayes again
I reinitialized with factory reset my Mi Box and deployed only Kodi application on it : Kodi audio pasthrough setting never was diplayes again

I read in a PLex forum that I should try SPMC that is a Kodi fork to be able to set its audio passhtrough option : so did I and with SPMC my Dolgy Digital 5.1 AC3 source was well decoded by my AVR.

So how can you write here that my Mi Box has a firmware problem and move this issue to Android forum ?

Personnally I'am a french software engineer graduated in 1988 and your answers are really too bad

more to follow....
Hello Kodi-team

I am really disappointed to read your wrong answers

I summarize here this Kodi issue description :

I have an original Mi Box S Antroid TV system (Oreao 8.1)
I connected it with HDMI 2.0 to a LG monitor and SPDIF to a Denon 1602 AVR
I deployed on this Mi Box S Kodi 18.1 version
On first deployment audio passthrough option was displayed by Kodi software and I activated it as well as 5.1 output instead 2.0. So my My Box S firmware and Android TV 8.1 seemed to support audio passrhough, at least when I deployed Kodi on it

I made lot of tests in oder to get Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 sound beind decoded by my AVVE but nothing worked fine.
I wanted to modify Kodi audio settings but Kodi audio setting disappeared.

I removed and deployed Kodi again several times : Kodi audio pasthrough setting never was diplayes again
I reinitialized with factory reset my Mi Box and deployed only Kodi application on it : Kodi audio pasthrough setting never was diplayes again

I read in a PLex forum that I should try SPMC that is a Kodi fork to be able to set its audio passhtrough option : so did I and with SPMC my Dolgy Digital 5.1 AC3 source was well decoded by my AVR.

So how can you write here that my Mi Box has a firmware problem and move this issue to Android forum ?

Personnally I'am a french software engineer graduated in 1988 and your answers are really too bad

more to follow....
I found a "solution" (not a hack from my point of view) for vanilla Kodi 18.1 deployed on my vanilla Mi Box S v8.1 :

in Kodi Add-ons->My add-ons-> Videoplayer input
* activate "Input client for adaptative streams" add-on without changing its default parameters
* activate "RTMP Input" add-on (SPDIF)

Go back to System->Audio->Settings :
MIRACLE : audio passthrough button is diplayed again without changing Mi Box frimware and/or Android stack (this would be a hack)
Then :
* Activate audio passthrough button
* select right number of audio outputs : 5.1 in my case

SECOND MICACLE : SOLVED AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 is well decoded by my 18 years old Denon 1602 AVR SOLVED

My conclusions about this issue for Kodi team (support and developers) :

This seems clearly to be a Kodi 18.1 issue on Mi Box S 8.1

As a software engineer whose task was for instance GSM protocol stack defaults analysing I am really disappointed by your answers because you did even make any analysis here. You just wrote "It is not a Kodi issue, default comes fron underlying vanilla sofware".
My feeling with this undisplayed issue is as follows : designing auto-adaptative software with MMI that are displayed or not depending upon lambda user birthday and remote control keypress speed is a mess.
My point ofview is that a a well designed softwared does hide MMI items but display alwats all of them (it can be acccepted than some are greyed). In case the MMI attached function is not available, simply display an error message when the user tries to use it.

Thanx for helping Sad
My dear friend and GSM protocol developer - I wrote the fucking code that enumerates your audio devices. Every single format the box exposes is tested on startup and all valid opened streams are added to kodi's properties. If you buy shitty hardware - concentrate your energy on the vendor that ripped you off.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And as I love users with a lot of "developer knowledge" who have the capability to change the entire world by writing free software IF they wanted and were not lazy as hell, I made a kodi version that brings this aweful android hacks back that broke entire android software environment for many years until we forced the firmware writers to stick to standards: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk

Here - good luck. Next time send a patch, as you have figured your GSM knowledge won't help kodi and your box in any way.

Btw. 5 years ago I milked a cow - milk is already gone.
I prefer mainstream versions.
Pacth is a word I always had trouble to use.

What's about my "solution" by activating two Kodi add-ons with Mi Box unchanged ?
Post your Debug Log with those two addons activated, please.
I started the Mi Box this morning.
Here is the log of this start : https://paste.kodi.tv/iteyajolag
I check Dolby Digital sound with Star Wars III : its great Wink

By the way I have another problem with my AVR : Dolby Digital is roughly 20 dB stronger than Dolby Prologic II input (that is selected by my AVR i most cases) and I found nothing to compensate (eg amplify Dolby Prologic II streams by 20 dB).
So when I switch from Doby Prologic II it makes heavy sounds (20 dB more...).
No setting in my AVR for this, is there any mean with Kodi or Android TV ?
Dolby Digital finely decoded log :

2019-03-18 09:14:23.506 T:6494 NOTICE: m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_FLOAT,AE_FMT_RAW,AE_FMT_RAW
2019-03-18 09:14:23.506 T:6494 NOTICE: m_streamTypes : STREAM_TYPE_AC3,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,STREAM_TYPE_EAC3

AE_FMT-RAW is listed twice
Stream type seems not bad

If needed I can verify DTS on the same AVR that is able to decode it (if yes provide me a good DTS sample).
(2019-03-18, 11:52)cje67 Wrote: Dolby Digital finely decoded log :

2019-03-18 09:14:23.506 T:6494 NOTICE: m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_FLOAT,AE_FMT_RAW,AE_FMT_RAW
2019-03-18 09:14:23.506 T:6494 NOTICE: m_streamTypes : STREAM_TYPE_AC3,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,STREAM_TYPE_EAC3

AE_FMT-RAW is listed twice
Stream type seems not bad

If needed I can verify DTS on the same AVR that is able to decode it (if yes provide me a good DTS sample).
 You know - the addons don't have any influence on the audio enumeration, which happens far before any AddonManager is even queried. Did you change anything in your box? Perhaps did you unplug some "analog headphones" or something plugged in? If kodi detects a headphone plugged in, it will disable all passthrough to not kill user's ears.

Yes, AE_FMT_RAW is there twice, but that's only cosmetics - I did not care to fix that one yet.

Here is a dts sample: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/samples/dts_diatonis.dts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no audio passthrough capability0