Finding network folders with Kodi.
I installed Kodi v18.1 on a Mecool M8S Pro L TV Box, and I'm having some problems to make it work in ethernet network.

Is there any way to make Kodi to find by itself all that's on the network and make it available? How?

Is there a tutorial for that anywhere?

Thanks!
https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sour...te_sources
If that's how to do it, it's completely poor. And I do not think I'm asking too much.

Other programs like VLC or MX player, or even ES File Manager, can see anything on the network and connect to it.

Why Kodi can't? Is Kodi designed for other purposes? What are them?
(2019-03-19, 19:46)carlmart Wrote: If that's how to do it, it's completely poor. And I do not think I'm asking too much.
I'm guessing you have your shared files on a Windows machine. So if you are going to point fingers, point them at Microsoft. They have continued for years with a Swiss cheese version of the SMB/Samba network protocol. Suddenly after the worldwide 'WannaCry' virus outbreak (Google for it), they finally woke up and implemented a number of changes in the SMBv2 protocol. In short: windows users that share files require a password, and network browsing is no longer functional.

So if all your other network devices are still 'seeing' eachother, you are simply still using the old SMBv1 protocol on all those devices, inviting basically everyone worldwide into your home. It's your choice.

Don't blame us for participating in a better and secure network environment. You can still adjust SMB level access in Kodi. Whether you would want it, is again, your choice.
(2019-03-19, 19:46)carlmart Wrote: Other programs like VLC or MX player, or even ES File Manager, can see anything on the network and connect to it.
Kodi is not only a "mediaplayer", it's a "mediacenter" including a player and a full working SQL database for nearly any kind of media you might think of (music, movies, tv-shows, games, concerts etc....). Show me how you could use VLC or MX player to sort movies by a specific director and by a specific year simply using some clicks Wink. VLC is a great mediaplayer but it's not a center.

Kodi has a filemanager as well. But to use that you have to add your network shares as so called "sources". Once you added them on the filemanager (settings -> filemanager -> add source), you can use Kodi like any other player software as well. But that's not the main purpose of Kodi at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finding network folders with Kodi.0