Kodi preview videos when hovering with mouse
Hi, i was just wondering if there was any way kodi could play a preview of a video when hovering over them with a mouse. Not trailers from movies, more so for home videos.
I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the 'Feature Request' area, if there's any conversation requesting what you would like to see in the program, posting here is a good spot. What you're asking sounds interesting (similiar to what Youtube offers in Android TV?) Kodi has a slideshow feature that rotates extra fanart in the brackground after you have hovered, I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to make that routine into a play sample, but might be resource heavy.
Yeah i agree about the resource heavy part, perhaps a toggle to enable/disable the feature depending on the user. The closest example i can think of is how videos are previewed on Po**hub.com (sorry for the NSFW website), but that's the best implementation of this feature that i have seen.
It is possible that the web site is converting the images to animated gifs or Mjpeg, then web browsers might be able to cope on a fast system. Kodi already offers animated images, covers/fanart, but leaves it to the user to implement, as discussed resource heavy isn't something most users can deal with. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215727
If a video is too resource heavy, could images be generated from the video at varying time points eg. 10 preview photos that would be dispersed equally through the video, basically runtime/10 to get the timestamps and then display those images. The generated images could be saved in the kodi directory so as to prevent them being generated every time. Could this work?
Talk about spoiler alert Smile

You could do something like thumbnailer does, except walk though an gen snaps at various times.

The fork that shall not be named does that for scrubbing in OSD. There it seeks to the scrubbing time and shows the snap. Works so well on tvOS that we will be adding it to droid.
+1. I like this suggestion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi preview videos when hovering with mouse1