A button that makes all hard drives spin.
I use my computer for all sorts of things, and my 11 hard drives are set to stop spinning after 20 minutes of inactivity. So, if I want to watch a movie later than 20 minutes after I’ve turned on the computer, Kodi will freeze for a few seconds every time I scroll through the movie list and come to a movie that is stored on an idling HDD – which happens 10 times if I want to scroll through the whole list.

It would be great if I could just click a button and have all the drives start spinning, or is there a simpler solution to this that doesn’t needlessly waste electricity?
I am currently working on a script that sends a small query to the hard drives every few minutes, preventing them from going into idle mode. The script will run in the background as soon as kodi is started. But there is no direct link to kodi like an addon. I do not understand the sense of somehow like this. it is sufficient to link it with the start parameters. Until the script is finished and perfected a very simple workaround that works perfectly for me:

Install Origin (from EA) and run it in the background. Origin checks and scans all hard drives throughout all the time. I do not know what it's looking for  Big Grin
(2019-03-21, 12:39)ag3141 Wrote: I use my computer for all sorts of things, and my 11 hard drives are set to stop spinning after 20 minutes of inactivity. So, if I want to watch a movie later than 20 minutes after I’ve turned on the computer, Kodi will freeze for a few seconds every time I scroll through the movie list and come to a movie that is stored on an idling HDD – which happens 10 times if I want to scroll through the whole list.

It would be great if I could just click a button and have all the drives start spinning, or is there a simpler solution to this that doesn’t needlessly waste electricity?
Have you scraped your movies to the library because you should be able to scroll through your whole list without Kodi actually accessing the HDDs until you click play.
(2019-03-23, 00:42)Hitcher Wrote: Have you scraped your movies to the library because you should be able to scroll through your whole list without Kodi actually accessing the HDDs until you click play.

If @ag3141 uses a skin with Extrafanart function (good old common [ListItem.Path]extrafanart/, not ArtworkBeef/ArtworkHelper System), then unfortunately always HDD accesses.
Or maybe he uses also a theme.mp3 function, then the hard drives must also always be running.

Also possible that using Local Artwork and not all is cached yet. Always accesses cause of caching Local Artwork into thumbnails folder.
And there is the issue of the 24 hour cache check for artwork.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I too use 11 HDD's but mine are set to spin-down after 10 mins.  I've brought this issue up a couple times over the years and the only suggestions I received was to always leave the drives spun-up.  I don't see this as a solution, rather a workaround and a poor one imo.

You asked that a button to spin-up drives be created.  There is one.  It's the 'update library on startup' setting in Kodi.  Kodi will spin-up each drive one by one and scan them one by one for any changes.  Once the process completes, all the drives are spinning and the library is finally ready for navigating.  For 11 drives, this process takes 2 or 3 minutes while we twiddle our thumbs and yes it's a painfully slow wait.  The time is increased if any new additions were added to any of the drives while waiting for artwork to download and cache. 

Considering we might enter the info page about a title and spend 10 or 20 minutes reading actor bios, watching trailers, youtube related video, or simply step away to take a pee, by the time we're done and return to the library to select another title, we can't navigate because the drives have once again spun-down.  Many times we watch one title and want to navigate to another.  Of course in the time it took to play one title and move on to the next, you guessed it, the drives have spun-down and navigating is impossible until they spin-up again.

One would think the entire purpose of caching to one single drive (CSmile where the Kodi cache resides, is why we cache in the first place;  so the only time a drive needs to spin-up is when it actually needs to be accessed for the title data - not the cached data which is all that is required to navigate.

I (think) the problem is that Kodi itself does not trust the cached data on C: and simply use it solo.  I (think) what happens is Kodi wants to double check the cached data on C: against the drive data every single time it's accessed just in case their was some sort of change.  I don't think it needs to constantly recheck the cache against the drive simply because it spun-down and needs to spin-up again because a title comes into focus.  I think the session should assume nothing has changed after an initial 'update library on start-up'.

I could be waaay off on this thinking but in my mind, cached data is consolidated within the Kodi installation on the C: so it doesn't have to be retrieved from the additional drives otherwise, what's the purpose of having Kodi cache data in the first place?  It's meaningless if the drives have to sync with the cached data constantly.  The only time a drive(s) should need to spin-up is to access data that isn't cached already.  But to require they spin-up just to navigate the library is counterproductive.  I understand most folks don't have 11 drives and could care less about any of this.  Some folks do though and with the size of UHD rips increasing, it won't be long until multiple drives are common.

Fwiw, I've tried running as vanilla as possible.  No artwork or anything else except a poster trying to relax the constant cache update checking.  I use the texturecache utility successfully from time to time.  None of this helps either.  I don't think I'm doing anything improperly but maybe someone has more to add.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@brazen1

Have to admit I agree with your comments. I still cannot comprehend the need to check that images still exist. We don't check if the more important video file still exists...

I have 6 media drives and a little while ago I experimented by modifying the lasthashcheck date and setting it 1 year into the future. I saw no ill effects, and there was a definite decrease in drive spin-up. It is not a once off modification though, when you browse older library items that may have not been previously cached or when adding new artwork both require modifying the newly added dates again.

Just remember to backup if you choose to try the above.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'd rather avoid having to edit the setting every time a new artwork is added but I really appreciate the tip.  Is this something or anything similar that could be added to Kodi in the future to automate it?  I think navigating and using Kodi with cached data without the need for HDD (rehashing?) is pretty important imo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Now it works the way it should. Kodi/Phenomenal doesn't spin up the hard drives when I scroll through the movie list. Maybe the latest Windows update solved it?
Nothing has changed anything for me.  Everything is updated including Windows and the latest nightly x64 Kodi.  Hard drives still need to spin-up or navigation is impossible.  As a matter of fact, when freshly entering the library, nothing is displayed until the title that is focused (not that you can see it because the screen is black and blank) has it's hard drive is spun-up.  When I proceed to navigate to more titles, I have to wait again until the hard drive they reside on spins-up too.  Navigating 11 drives to present these titles all have to spin-up as they are encountered.  Not complaining at all.  Just verifying what still occurs and I disagree that it has been solved.

(2019-04-18, 19:21)brazen1 Wrote: Nothing has changed anything for me.  Everything is updated including Windows and the latest nightly x64 Kodi.  Hard drives still need to spin-up or navigation is impossible.  As a matter of fact, when freshly entering the library, nothing is displayed until the title that is focused (not that you can see it because the screen is black and blank) has it's hard drive is spun-up.  When I proceed to navigate to more titles, I have to wait again until the hard drive they reside on spins-up too.  Navigating 11 drives to present these titles all have to spin-up as they are encountered.  Not complaining at all.  Just verifying what still occurs and I disagree that it has been solved.
I have 16 hdd running on a NAS and have the drives to spin up in groups. With wake on lan activate going into my home screen usually presents the newest additions to my Kodi, which only spins up the hdd's that have the newest info added to them. If I go into my movies section and scroll through my list , all hdd's spin up. On a side note, I also have my drives spin down after 10 mins. but with spin up in groups, it will keep those drives active.
Now it’s back to how it was before, not working the way it should. I don’t know why it seemingly worked for a week or so. Maybe they had spun up for some other reason and I thought Kodi movie list worked without spinning disks?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A button that makes all hard drives spin.0