Total confusion and frustration
Hi ,first a little about myself and why I invested my limited resources on a media box to begin with.

I'm a single parent of 2 that I wish I could spoil and give to them every experience all their little friends at school have, problem is in today's economy an experienced 40 something construction worker like myself spends 6 months out of the year unemployed. The struggle is real! And after reading several "threads" , this is the first time I've ever really interacted with a web community and look I'm learning the lingo....kind of, I realize that I've been lied to and neither my kids nor myself will be watching free movies on this device which is why I invested in the first place.

So.... Not having a media library, and not being able to afford cable or purchase subscriptions for programming, what are my options for the use of this media player because when I get rid of the build which I read is what you say the problem is all I'm left with is empty files.... Now I've read some threads where you guys have called users ignorant and the like and basically insulted their intelligence in a diplomatic way, but I live in the real world and can see that the purpose for open source licenses is to provide the true freedom to choose whether to or not pirate content even though legally you have to keep a firm stance against piracy.

I'm a real supporter of freedom being a us army veteran and all. Realize that I'm intelligent, though maybe outdated, and without being condescending, please tell me how to make this investment of my extremely limited resourses fruitful so that at least my children aren't culturally and socially stunted by their lack of exposure to current popular culture.
(2019-03-21, 16:24)Jimbim Wrote: I realize that I've been lied to and neither my kids nor myself will be watching free movies on this device which is why I invested in the first place.

I really understand the struggle, the economy, the unemployment. I don't understand the part of being lied to. The "free movies" thing is a whole separate discussion.

Kodi is trying to be as clear as possible on the content part: The Kodi application itself does not provide content, in any way. What it can do, is play videos and music "locally" or via add-ons. Kodi has several video add-ons in its repository which can provide videos, such as from Youtube. Does our repository also provide video add-ons for 'the latest and greatest blockbuster movies' for free? No. We are not offering add-ons that facilitate video piracy. Our repository is clean from that sort of thing.

There is an unofficial add-on for f.e. Netflix, that seem to be reasonably stable. It's perhaps one of the better offers you can get when you are looking for video content. It will require a Netflix subscription.

(2019-03-21, 16:24)Jimbim Wrote: I'm a real supporter of freedom being a us army veteran and all. Realize that I'm intelligent, though maybe outdated, and without being condescending, please tell me how to make this investment of my extremely limited resourses fruitful

I'm not an American, or a veteran, but I consider myself reasonably intelligent. And I do know the difference between 'freedom' and 'for free'. I can sympathize with your whole current situation, but we are not here to tell how to get access to "free movies". This is a Kodi support forum, for (mostly) technical troubles and questions. We have our forum rules (wiki) and principles, and we stand by them.

(2019-03-21, 16:24)Jimbim Wrote: so that at least my children aren't culturally and socially stunted by their lack of exposure to current popular culture.

Well, that's a nice touch. Getting/stealing stuff for free because otherwise you/they would lack a cultural education. Perhaps I should steal myself a new car tomorrow and educate myself that way. How about teaching your kids some proper moral values instead? Or are we now insulting your intelligence as a forum user?
Get a local public library card and register with Kanopy. It's free has tons of current content and has an Android TV application. There are others that are low cost that can also complete the content void.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Thanks klojum for insinuating that I'm not teaching my children morals and values. You first went on the defensive then changed tactics and went offensive but really didn't offer much I'm the way of help, instead of dismantling my request and using fragments however you choose to attack myself or my character maybe you should have looked at it as a whole and recognised it as the request for an education that it is. I didn't say you lied to me, the people that promoted this box and the illegal add-ons did. I understand that you may mostly deal with angry users who want you to make magic and fix the world, and let's not get into discussing the fact that all of this content, every cell phone conversation, radio station, satellite signal, etc...doesnt beam strait to the source your watching, it is radiation that is constantly flowing into out of and through my body and everyone else's whether we want it to or not, and if that contributes to the rise in cancer among the population ,and if that gives the right to view said content because I am being irradiated by it after all......but i digress. I get that you may be frustrated with the way most people address you in their anger, but I hope in the future you can learn to separate users as individuals each with their own lives and feelings, just as I have recognized you as a person with emotions and complicated situations in your life that give you a unique outlook on life that makes you an individual. Thanks for the "help" and advise on raising my kids ,how many have you raised and how did they turn out. And I know freedom isn't free, it costs blood, lives, and friends. Please try in the future to keep your discussion to things you might actually know about, and try not to treat those that come to you for help as your oppisition. You have made my kodi experience more unenjoyable
Thanks bry .....ill check it out. Your good at your job.
(2019-03-21, 22:32)Jimbim Wrote: Please try in the future to keep your discussion to things you might actually know about
You came to the Kodi support forum. I know about Kodi. I've know about it since XBMC Eden, some 7 years ago.
I might actually also know something about unemployment stuff. So don't give me any cheap shots by trying to turn the tables on me.
And I think I better ignore the other parts of your rant in this thread and step away for everyone's sake.
*eats popcorn*...
This thread isn't a discussion about Kodi, but some social appeal that is best placed in 'other' off-topic.

Moving.
After reading your stories, I understand that your economic situation is still very difficult, so finding free content is a matter of thinking, you can subscribe to Netflix channel. However, you can also register some other channels with relatively low costs
If you have been in the military services in the United States then you probably heard of the old "Don't ask, don't tell" saying that made up their DADT-policy.

Now to make a non-sexuality related comparison to that saying; this, the official Kodi community has a "Piracy Policy" (which is part of its forum rules everyone including yourself agreed to when you registered an account), and that piracy policy pretty much sums up to; Don't ask, don't tell. That is, we all know that not all or most but surely many people use Kodi to watch and listen to media they gain access to illegally, but the point is that you must understand, accept, and respect that asking for help to get illegal access to media in any way in not OK here in this community.

If you do a search on Google's internet search engine then you will find millions of ways to rip and download pirated content and even different ways to use banned addons in Kodi from third-party sites. You are just not allowed to ask about it here on this website or in this forum. No one here will help you with that.

I am sure that many Kodi community members here get all or parts of their media files the legal way, ripping their own DVD-Video and Blu-ray movies or Audio-CD collections to a harddrive/NAS using a computer or using addons for services they pay for like Netflix, but I am also sure that get their media files in many different illegal ways which usually directly or indirectly involve some sort of piracy. It does not matter if you use banned addons or download pirated movies, shows and music via torrents or Usenet. All of those are a different form of piracy that is illegal and Team-Kodi does not want to get into trouble or jeopardize Kodi existant just because you do not care that piracy is illegal. 

Also, read https://kodi.wiki/view/Free_content in the wiki and try to understand that there is a different between "freedom" and "free beer", and regardless, Team Kodi has decided on that piracy policy and as this forum is not a democracy you have no rights to claim freedom of speech. Read the piracy policy again in the wiki here https://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_ru...acy_Policy This community will not assist you to pirate media or help you get free access to content you normally have to pay for, period.
@Jimbim I fully understand when times are hard and money is tight, many of us have been there at some point in our lives, but you have obviously read up on this forum and must realise this is not the place to ask about getting paid content for free.
Please don't think I'm patronising you or being condescending but from what you've described of yourself I really don't think the world of illicit Kodi addons is for you, its become a wild west environment where who knows what could be done to your device, home network or personal passwords, these days I wouldn't touch that world with a barge pole and I'm reasonably tech savvy.
I also don't think the world of media piracy is for you, you say that you can't afford subscriptions so I am assuming you can't afford the measures to protect yourself, in your circumstances the last thing you would need is a demand/summons from a copyright troll for that "free" TV show or movie you've downloaded.

I don't know all that is available for free in the US, but my advice would be to demand a refund from the person or company that lied to you and sold you the media player you've bought and invest that money into an Amazon Firetvstick which at the very least you can get the content from IMDB Freedrive or a Roku device on which you can get Roku's free equivalent of Freedrive.
On either you can always subscribe to Amazon or Netflix for not too much for a month at a time when finances allow, the beauty of services like those is there is no lengthy contract so you can subscribe as and when needed.
If you can't get a refund you can do the Netflix and Amazon thing when you can afford it but if that device you bought came with a Kodi "build" full of crappy addons that don't work I would urge you to do a factory restore on it, if it has a build pre-installed then someone has installed their own software on it and its not safe to register any of your accounts and passwords until its been reset.
(2019-03-21, 16:24)Jimbim Wrote: I'm a real supporter of freedom being a us army veteran and all. Realize that I'm intelligent, though maybe outdated, and without being condescending, please tell me how to make this investment of my extremely limited resourses fruitful so that at least my children aren't culturally and socially stunted by their lack of exposure to current popular culture.

Jimbim, as already was mentioned ... free stuff - it is not exactly the "freedom". It's more like your agreement with others to take it for the simple "thanks". It's like writing a custom essay... you know that you can take a free template and will write it so so (not bad, but not so good), or you can spend a little bit of money and to make a deal with team of experts, who will do your paper work for you. The same with everything else ... not matter what field of study or job.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Total confusion and frustration0