• 29(current)
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio
spozen Wrote:Be careful with that heatsink, i was on my way to break the board to get those damn pins in the holes, i only got three pins down, but then i saw there was a black "thing" inside the white pins that i had to push in.

Yeah! Angry The same thing happened to me! I don't think I put it right though as CPU temperatures are 50 C on idle (computer is inside a closet though). SO I might try to get some thermal gel and try again! :o

regards,
Do you have to compile XBMC to get audio over SPDIF to work? Becasue i followed the live guide and when i try to start XBMC i get this:

Code:
++ WARN: could not retrieve file info for `image.nrg': No such file or directory
++ WARN: can't open nrg image file image.nrg for reading
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
method return sender=:1.2 -> dest=:1.29 reply_serial=2

Can't i use the debs instead?
aww man.. this is what im afraid of once i put that setup together. Im going to have to start tweaking linux and I don't know much about that....
The problem isn't linux, the problem is dependencies and such. Debs are a lot easier because the debian packages check dependencies, to put it simple it's like .exe files on windows.

I tried playing movies thru VLC but i only get stereo for some weird reason, anyways i will look at all sound issues as soon as i get XBMC up and running.
call me and idiot, but I dont know what I am doing putting this thing together.... I bought that newegg setup thinking it would be easy but I need some help. How do i know which way to hook up the usb front panel wires? is there a place on the motherboard to connect the power supply fan? I used the same connector for the CPU fan??
Power supply fan is inside the power supply - what fan are you talking about? If it has a small white connector that matches one on the motherboard that will work. The USB cables plug into the USB ports on the motherboard - the motherboard manual will spell out their location clearly.

Putting that hardare together is NO different than any other PC you have to assembleHuh
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
dbldown768 Wrote:call me and idiot, but I dont know what I am doing putting this thing together.... I bought that newegg setup thinking it would be easy but I need some help. How do i know which way to hook up the usb front panel wires? is there a place on the motherboard to connect the power supply fan? I used the same connector for the CPU fan??

Read this guide, it helped me building my box:

http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel...x.php?pg=1
The blue connectors on the motherboard is USB(check the text next to them), maybe i might be avaible to post some images to guide you when i get home.
well I think I got everything together. I booted it into ubuntu live. I am a bit concerned about how i put the fan/heatsink on the cpu. It said to do it by crossing the pins in, but i had a hard time getting one of the pins in so i had to do it a different way. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good program to check the cpu temp and what levels it should be at approximately?

my other problems were that I did not know what screws to use to attach the motherboard. They gave me all these screws (flat, rounded, some with washers attached) and i put the flat ones on the motherboard, one of which needed an extension off of the case. Needless to say i have an abundant amount of screws left over. I put 4 in my hard drive and 4 in my dvd drive and 6 on the motherboard.

The problem I was having with the USB was just making sure the power was connected correctly. If i remember correctly last night i made sure the the VCC was connected to the +5 and the grounds matched up. Haven t tried them as of yet, but so far no fires Smile

As far as the ram, hard drive and dvd, these things are not a problem as i have changed them many times. I do seem to have wires all over the place. It is definitely not wrapped as nice as my dell. Maybe later I will try to rework the wires with some wire ties when i get home.
Use lmsensors for temp checking, heres a tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780

As for the heatsink just make sure all pins are down, you will notice if it is a bit loose.

Edit: Hardy is a PITA, it doesn't seem to detect the GPU correctly. I'm switching to 8.10 will post back with results.
Good day!
Someone has used this platform as the Zotac ION, based on Nvidia ION + Atom 330?
Is the enough performance for HD movies?
savovich Wrote:Good day!
Someone has used this platform as the Zotac ION, based on Nvidia ION + Atom 330?
Is the enough performance for HD movies?

How about searching instead of hijacking a thread?
scrp Wrote:How about searching instead of hijacking a thread?
in all the 44-pages of tread - nothing concrete.
There are other theads... If this topic is not the most discussed it must be a close second.
Short answer, it will work fine if ýou set up the GPU correctly.
Hey all, I'm just starting a project for an htpc, and while I looked at build-your-own and pre-builds that are ion based, such as the aspire revo, the funtwist fiona and others. I actually settled on a refubished e-machines sff box as it looks like a perfect candidate for an xbmc system.

Here is the link to the system

Its a 2.4ghz athlon 64 with an onboard geforce 8200 (which should be fully supported by vdpau?) 2gb ram, (shared up to 256mb) and a 160gb hd, hdmi out. It wasnt a bad price at 219 cdn, and comes with a mouse and keyboard.

While I could easily build my own, and have built many systems in the past, I was checking around and there wasn't much as far as xbmc candidates for ~200.

Thoughts?

First post here, I read through this post (44 or so pages) and some other hardware forums.. don't mean it to be a threadjack, just offering a system idea for someone who wants to install the live edition on the cheap.

The 160gb hd will only be used for the os, caching thumbnails and fanart, the files will be elsewhere on my network.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best XBMC HTPC Hardware with HDMI / HD / 1080p + HDMI Audio3