What box should I get?
Hello,
So I'm looking to buy a box so I can use Kodi (18) on my samsung smart tv. I was going for apple tv 4k but it isent updated yet, so I'm looking for some suggestions what I should buy instead? What box is the most up to date box (so i dont need to worry if its gonna be updated or not) 

Thanks in advance.
Android TV + Kodi Leia = NVIDIA Shield, the most powerful Android media player going around. Excellent ongoing FW support.

Android TV on a budget + Kodi Leia, cheaper price = 2016 Xiaomi Mi Box. Xiaomi are still providing FW support 2.5+ years after device release, even if it is a bit slow.

Plug n Play - Linux Kodi = Vero 4K+ - the best, often personalised device and FW support you will find.

DIY Linux Kodi Leia = AMLogic S905/D/X or AMLogic S912 running CoreELEC Kodi Leia. Excellent Bang for the Buck for a nice stable, bug busted 4K (HDR) Kodi Leia setup.

Linux Kodi Leia gets better Kodi support vs the generic Android Kodi Leia - simply because there are more developer eyeballs bug busting and optimising Kodi for such devices. Developers can also bug bust the underlying Linux Kernel and drivers on Linux capable Kodi devices. Something they cannot do with the Android OS.

Depends what you want exactly, if you need other Apps and what your budget is.

W.

(2019-03-24, 16:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Android TV + Kodi Leia = NVIDIA Shield, the most powerful Android media player going around. Excellent ongoing FW support.

Android TV on a budget + Kodi Leia, cheaper price = 2016 Xiaomi Mi Box. Xiaomi are still providing FW support 2.5+ years after device release, even if it is a bit slow.

Plug n Play - Linux Kodi = Vero 4K+ - the best, often personalised device and FW support you will find.

DIY Linux Kodi Leia = AMLogic S905/D/X or AMLogic S912 running CoreELEC Kodi Leia. Excellent Bang for the Buck for a nice stable, bug busted 4K (HDR) Kodi Leia setup.

Linux Kodi Leia gets better Kodi support vs the generic Android Kodi Leia - simply because there are more developer eyeballs bug busting and optimising Kodi for such devices. Developers can also bug bust the underlying Linux Kernel and drivers on Linux capable Kodi devices. Something they cannot do with the Android OS.

Depends what you want exactly, if you need other Apps and what your budget is.

W.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with Nvidia Shield for my samsung smart tv. Sounds like a pretty good pick especially if it has ongoing support.
just to jump onto this with a follow up, i currently use a win10 server with Kodi and an LG OLED TV but its very frustrating HDR. I know there's software alterations i could make to get it to work properly but i was looking for something a little simpler. Would one of the options above give me what i'm looking for?
I haven't tried all the options that have been listed so far but I can recommend one in the Vero 4K+.
Its far from the cheapest option but the support from all at OSMC is second to none.
I switched from a Windows 10 machine to a Vero around a year and a half ago and liked it so much I bought a second one 6 months ago.
One warning though its purely a Kodi device you will not get any official apps from the likes Netflix or Amazon Prime video on it apart from the Kodi addons.
Performance on the Vero 4K+ is constantly being improved with regular updates, the OSMC team and many members on their forums attempt to help with and fix users individual problems, the machine and project are shining examples of a small project working wonders in an increasingly corporate world, I think I have as much admiration for what they achieve as I do in the wonderful volunteers in the Kodi team.
that's good to hear, i was looking at a Vero 4k+, I only really want it as a kodi device as i have the rest through my TV, so it can cope with 50-60GB 4k HDR films then?
(2019-03-26, 18:23)section_32 Wrote: so it can cope with 50-60GB 4k HDR films then?
Via ethernet I have never had a problem with any 4k HDR remux of that size playing across my network from SMB share's on my Windows 10 PC.
Wifi was more difficult, but using a high gain USB adapter on my second Vero and also setting up autofs on it cured any problems.
(2019-03-26, 20:00)stammie Wrote:
(2019-03-26, 18:23)section_32 Wrote: so it can cope with 50-60GB 4k HDR films then?
Via ethernet I have never had a problem with any 4k HDR remux of that size playing across my network from SMB share's on my Windows 10 PC.
Wifi was more difficult, but using a high gain USB adapter on my second Vero and also setting up autofs on it cured any problems. 
that sounds great. so you've not had any problems with your screen auto-switching to HDR when it detects you're playing such a file? i'll have to look into autofs as well, not familiar with it.
(2019-03-27, 10:59)section_32 Wrote:
that sounds great. so you've not had any problems with your screen auto-switching to HDR when it detects you're playing such a file? i'll have to look into autofs as well, not familiar with it. 
You need to enable 'Adjust Refresh Rate' under Settings -> Playback for HDR switching to work automatically.
(2019-03-27, 10:59)section_32 Wrote:
As Sam says enable adjust refresh rate and also keep the GUI set to 1080P and auto switching works every time.
There's a very good tutorial in the "how to" section of the OSMC forums for setting up autofs, alternatively if your files are stored on an always on server setting up fstab on the Vero is a good alternative to autofs, again the OSMC forums contain a very good how to guide for this.
i took the plunge and placed an order Big Grin thanks to you all for your help. I'm sure i'll be back. Definately going to look at fstab as indeed my fails are always on server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What box should I get?0