Curious about support
I posted a new problem yesterday in the appropriate area and got lambasted because I posted a problem without giving thanks to prior problems (some of which never got resolved and some, in fact, I did say thank you).  I handle tech support for multiple companies and don't expect thanks but this is the first time someone who could possibly offer support preferred to nail me about not giving thanks (to her, I presume) instead of actually offering any help.  I have setup kodi at least 200 times on various equipment (Windows, Android, Linux) and haven't had any issue with asking for help here.  This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone being treated like this.  If you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the topic at hand, why waste the time trying to publicly humiliate someone when, in fact, it kinda makes you look petty?  If you can't mute your sarcasm and disdain when replying to threads, don't reply at all.  It doesn't help anyone.
(2019-03-26, 17:12)jglazer63 Wrote: I handle tech support for multiple companies and don't expect thanks...
For free in your own time as well, presumably...
We're all individuals working in our free time (unlike companies) and we can all have off days.

Having said that you've been here long enogh to know a debug log goes a long way to helping us help you.
You haven't been lambasted (i've read that post/thread). And a "Thank you" for sure isn't required to get any further help, but it wouldn't hurt at all, or what do you think Wink?

We are all humans and sometimes we also have a bad day and beside we should normally do not post if we have such a bad day we still do it. Still...we are humans. So I highly guess it wasn't meant personally and you shouldn't interpret more into it which isn't there. Sometimes, if someone was helpful we would like to hear a "Thank you" and sometimes we simply say that. Nothing more, nothing less Wink

Cheers
This is a general comment, not specific to you or this particular case.

It's less the lack of thanks (although those are also appreciated) than the lack of feedback when we offer a possible solution to someone and never hear back. The lack of closure means that we don't know if what we suggested actually fixed the problem, or whether some other cause was found (or indeed no cause was found and things were abandoned). Without that both our own knowledge and experience is degraded, but also as this is a public forum then someone else who may come here with the same issue is denied a simple way to find a known solution.

If you yourself offer tech support (or any other kind of support) then I would presume you know this already. Being able to properly close off an issue, especially having a known solution available publically to anyone else who may have it is clearly key. It's fundamentally what this forum is about, so people can find things without having to ask (or having known solutions that can be found and them pointed to).

Oh and the team member you are referring to is male, just for reference (although you aren't the first to make the incorrect presumption).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Yes, I handle paid and free support on multiple platforms and being able to nail down a solution, especially a difficult one to find, is always great to return and report findings.  I've done that here as well.  I know I've posted a couple questions that I answered myself and came back here to post the solution "for posterity" I always say.  Anyhow. I do appreciate you guys' efforts and realize what you're going through.  I guess this post hit me at a bad time as I just got off a call supporting someone else and was treated rather rudely.  So sorry for venting here.

And I think I realized my gender mistake after I made that post.
(2019-03-26, 17:58)jglazer63 Wrote: Yes, I handle paid and free support on multiple platforms and being able to nail down a solution, especially a difficult one to find, is always great to return and report findings.  I've done that here as well.  I know I've posted a couple questions that I answered myself and came back here to post the solution "for posterity" I always say.  Anyhow. I do appreciate you guys' efforts and realize what you're going through.  I guess this post hit me at a bad time as I just got off a call supporting someone else and was treated rather rudely.  So sorry for venting here.

And I think I realized my gender mistake after I made that post.
not agree.

On this platform, there is no currency like money as expense allowance.
The only substitute for such platforms is decency, courtesy and respect.

I'm a bricklayer, but the kodi skinning .xml fever has been gripping me since long time. It is very difficult for me to learn. My parents did not bless me with great understanding for syntax and strings. But I'm not giving up and trying to help as many people as possible in the forum with my huble knowledge collected with time, without expecting any kind of consideration, purely from the hope of having once enough reputation here and to be taken seriously enough, that one day a skilled .xml member think the time is worth it to reply on a .xml help request.

Does it make me sad sometimes? yes
Would i open therefore a thread and complain? no
Am i still happy spending time with the members here - clearly yes

Maybe this type of platform is not right for you? It is said that people and personalities are different.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Curious about support0