Apple TV 4K + Yamaha RX-V 681 + Sony 55XD8505: No HDR on Autosettings
Hi,

I got yesterday my Apple TV 4K. When I connect it directly to my TV, then "Auto HDR" is working on the Apple TV 4K. But I want to connect it ot my Yamaha Receiver to get Atmos working.

If I connect it to my Yamaha Receiver, the Autodetection of HDR on the Apple TV fails and the system falls back to Full HD.

When I change the Video Output on the Apple TV to "4K HDR 30FPS", then it is working. So it seems the 60FPS makes troubles on the YamahaReceiver, although it should be supported.

On the Yamaha I have set HDMI to "Throughput" and I also changed HDMI Mode form 2 to 1.

Any ideas what is going wrong and if there is a disadvantage if I keep it on 30FPS?

Br,
Johannes
(2019-03-28, 10:19)ebnerjoh Wrote: Hi,

I got yesterday my Apple TV 4K. When I connect it directly to my TV, then "Auto HDR" is working on the Apple TV 4K. But I want to connect it ot my Yamaha Receiver to get Atmos working.

If I connect it to my Yamaha Receiver, the Autodetection of HDR on the Apple TV fails and the system falls back to Full HD.

When I change the Video Output on the Apple TV to "4K HDR 30FPS", then it is working. So it seems the 60FPS makes troubles on the YamahaReceiver, although it should be supported.

On the Yamaha I have set HDMI to "Throughput" and I also changed HDMI Mode form 2 to 1.

Any ideas what is going wrong and if there is a disadvantage if I keep it on 30FPS?

Br,
Johannes

HDMI 1.x only supports 2160p up to 30fps.
HDMI 2.x is required for 2160p50 and above. It sounds as if you have disabled HDMI 2.0 support on your amp?

What happens if you switch to HDMI Mode 2? Your TV's EDID should still ensure that you don't send through HDMI modes that your TV doesn't support (Some displays only support 4:2:0 HDR at 2160p 50p and above, whilst others will support 4:2:2)
(2019-03-28, 12:21)noggin Wrote:

Br,
Johannes

HDMI 2.x is required for 2160p50 and above. It sounds as if you have disabled HDMI 2.0 support on your amp?

What happens if you switch to HDMI Mode 2? Your TV's EDID should still ensure that you don't send through HDMI modes that your TV doesn't support (Some displays only support 4:2:0 HDR at 2160p 50p and above, whilst others will support 4:2:2) 

Hi, HDMI Mode 1 and 2 on the receiver is not related to HDMI 1.x and 2.

But maybe you gave me a hint. The Yamaha has in the advanced settings a point to check the TV and what the TV supports. Maybe this is not working correctly. I will try to disable this today in the evening.

Another question: The following cable should be able for 4K HDR, right?
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digita...dmi/forest

Br,
Johannes
(2019-03-28, 13:07)ebnerjoh Wrote:
(2019-03-28, 12:21)noggin Wrote:

Br,
Johannes

But maybe you gave me a hint. The Yamaha has in the advanced settings a point to check the TV and what the TV supports. Maybe this is not working correctly. I will try to disable this today in the evening.

Br,
Johannes 

BTW: The TV should support 4K (50, 60 Hz) with YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:2:0/10 Bit

The Receiver supports in Mode 1: Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format.
In Mode 2: Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:2:0 format.

And then there is on the Reciever this TV Check:
Mon Check On: Enables the monitor check function. (Outputs video signals with a resolution supported by the TV only.)
Mon Check Skip: Disables the monitor check function. (Outputs video signals with a specified resolution regardless of compatibility with the TV.)
(2019-03-28, 13:16)ebnerjoh Wrote:
(2019-03-28, 13:07)ebnerjoh Wrote:
(2019-03-28, 12:21)noggin Wrote: HDMI 1.x only supports 2160p up to 30fps.

Br,
Johannes   

BTW: The TV should support 4K (50, 60 Hz) with YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:2:0/10 Bit

The Receiver supports in Mode 1: Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format.
In Mode 2: Inputs/outputs 4K (60 Hz/50 Hz) signals in 4:2:0 format.

And then there is on the Reciever this TV Check:
Mon Check On: Enables the monitor check function. (Outputs video signals with a resolution supported by the TV only.)
Mon Check Skip: Disables the monitor check function. (Outputs video signals with a specified resolution regardless of compatibility with the TV.)  

Does your TV accept 2160p50/60 at 4:2:2 12-bit?  On my Sony I have to enable 'Enhanced HDMI' or similar, and it's only supported on HDMI 2 and HDMI 3.  If your TV is compatible and enabled then I'd select HDMI Mode 1. (NB there is no 10-bit version of 4:2:2 at 2160p50/60, 10-bit content is padded to 12-bit ISTR - as only 12-bit is supported in that combo - which is an oddity of HDMI 2.0)

If your TV only accepts 2160p50/60 at 4:2:0 in 10-bit - then I'd select Mode 2.

Personally I'd probably try Mode 2 (the lower bandwidth option) first, then try Mode 1.

I'd also initially enable Mon Check On initially.

As for your cable - it looks a bit 'HiFi pseudoscience' to me - and I'm not sure how 'active' it really is?

I'd always go for an HDMI Premium Certified cable with the official HDMI holographic branding.  I bought OMARS and MonoPrice  Premium Certified HDMI cables to support the high bandwidth HDMI 2.0 modes (2160p60 4:2:2 12-bit) when my existing HDMI 1.x cables were causing ''No Signal" issues or random re-syncs and sparkles.

When cable manufacturers start telling me that the quality of my digital audio is going to be improved because of the way the metal is aligned in the cables I slowly walk away from the crazy people... (I work in a broadcast environment with high quality pictures and sound day in and day out... Believe me - we don't buy into pseudoscience about 'HiFi' cables)
(2019-03-28, 10:19)ebnerjoh Wrote: On the Yamaha I have set HDMI to "Throughput" and I also changed HDMI Mode form 2 to 1.

Mode 1 is correct for passthrough of HDR / DolbyVision - up to 18Gbps with a Yamaha AVR / Soundbar.

Make sure, you use HDMI 2.0a 18Gbps "Premium Certified" capable HDMI cables and are connected to a HDMI 2.0 port on the TV.

However, these question are not really anything to do with Kodi.

You really should be asking for support over in the Yammy V81 support thread over on the AVS Forums (click)

(2019-03-29, 02:18)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-03-28, 10:19)ebnerjoh Wrote: On the Yamaha I have set HDMI to "Throughput" and I also changed HDMI Mode form 2 to 1.

Mode 1 is correct for passthrough of HDR / DolbyVision - up to 18Gbps with a Yamaha AVR / Soundbar.

Make sure, you use HDMI 2.0a 18Gbps "Premium Certified" capable HDMI cables and are connected to a HDMI 2.0 port on the TV.

However, these question are not really anything to do with Kodi.

You really should be asking for support over in the Yammy V81 support thread over on the AVS Forums (click) 

Hi, it is working now. I had to change on the TV the HDMI to Advanced Settings,although it was not required when connecting the ATV4K directly to the TV.

Br,
Johannes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4K + Yamaha RX-V 681 + Sony 55XD8505: No HDR on Autosettings0