Fire TV Stick 4K Question
I picked up a Fire TV Stick 4K over the weekend and side loaded Kodi onto it. Got my movies in the library through SMB from a USB drive attached to my 2011 Mac Mini. Navigation is fine, but when I go to play a movie, it takes about 15-20 seconds to load and it goes that same process every 4-5 seconds, making the movie unwatchable. These are mostly Blu-ray rips that I own or HD movies that I have downloaded from iTunes and removed the DRM. I'm not into pirating any movies or anything. Our home WiFi is Google WiFi and one of our WiFi points is within 5 feet of the Fire TV Stick 4K. Any thoughts on my problem? I'm not sure if it is WiFi problem or a Fire TV Stick 4K just not being powerful enough to stream the video. Thanks.
(2019-04-01, 19:05)coachdport Wrote: I picked up a Fire TV Stick 4K over the weekend and side loaded Kodi onto it. Got my movies in the library through SMB from a USB drive attached to my 2011 Mac Mini. Navigation is fine, but when I go to play a movie, it takes about 15-20 seconds to load and it goes that same process every 4-5 seconds, making the movie unwatchable. These are mostly Blu-ray rips that I own or HD movies that I have downloaded from iTunes and removed the DRM. I'm not into pirating any movies or anything. Our home WiFi is Google WiFi and one of our WiFi points is within 5 feet of the Fire TV Stick 4K. Any thoughts on my problem? I'm not sure if it is WiFi problem or a Fire TV Stick 4K just not being powerful enough to stream the video. Thanks.

You can figure out if it's a wifi problem very easily, just get a 5.1 foot ethernet cable.
The only external connection it has is a micro-usb that maxes out at 10-100 I believe.
(2019-04-02, 22:51)coachdport Wrote: The only external connection it has is a micro-usb that maxes out at 10-100 I believe.

No - you can use a Micro USB OTG adaptor with a USB3->GigE adaptor that will get you well past 200Mbs ISTR.  I posted some iPerf 3 figures a while back.
No need for duplicate threads.

Please use existing FireTV Stick 4K thread:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336151

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV Stick 4K Question0